Miner's Rescue [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Miner's Rescue

ForeverAutumn
10-13-2010, 09:43 AM
I've been catching bits and pieces of this since last night. We watched the first miner be pulled out last night and I was able to see another this morning while getting ready for work. I've been turning on the live stream at http://www.cbsnews.com/2718-100_162-730.html?tag=watchnow periodically throughout the day.

What a fantastic and heartwarming story this is. After 69 days underground it is amazing that these men are still alive at all, much less be able to stand and walk out of that capsule on their own.

This is the finest example of globalization. The way that the world pulled together to help the Chilean government support these men, keep them alive, and bring them out safely is just wonderful. With all the hate in the world, it does my heart good to see all of this love.

Hyfi
10-13-2010, 10:19 AM
I saw some this morning and a little from the live feed. I am curious to know how many of those guys are gonna go back down the hole.

What would really be cool if the whole world could band together and force the owners of all these treacherous safety violating mines to start making things safer for the workers.

JSE
10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I read that "some" have criticized some of the workers and their families for trying to cash in the the whole ordeal.

WTF, they were trapped in a hole 2000 feet below the surface for 69 days and got rescued by some miracle. I say get all the fame and money you can get out of it!!!!! 99.99 percent of the time, these guys would have been dead a long time ago.

GMichael
10-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Isn't there one guy who doesn't want to come out? Something about his wife and mistress both showing up at the same time at a support group of some kind.

ForeverAutumn
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Isn't there one guy who doesn't want to come out? Something about his wife and mistress both showing up at the same time at a support group of some kind.

I hadn't heard about that until today. Apparently he's the next one to come out (#21). At least according the the Twitter chatter.

GMichael
10-13-2010, 12:09 PM
I hadn't heard about that until today. Apparently he's the next one to come out (#21). At least according the the Twitter chatter.
I wonder if the two women will both be waiting for him when he comes out. Do you think that they have forgiven him yet? After all, he's been locked up for 69 days. He's done his time right?:1:

dean_martin
10-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I wonder if the two women will both be waiting for him when he comes out. Do you think that they have forgiven him yet? After all, he's been locked up for 69 days. He's done his time right?:1:

The wife refused to go. The mistress is there, but Chile's First Lady who is also there will not talk to the mistress to show support for the wife. Apparently, the wife found out about the mistress while the guy was trapped. He's been out for about an hour.

Speaking of wives, mine is following this story closely and is providing periodic updates (regardless to whether I want them or not, or without my having to ask - I think I'll go with "without my having to ask.")

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-13-2010, 01:26 PM
I watched as they pulled the first gentleman out of the hole. I cried, I spoke spanish, ate a burrito, and then went to bed.

The lazy life of a latino.....

Hyfi
10-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I spoke spanish, ate a burrito, and then went to bed.

The lazy life of a latino.....

Man, you sound like Pelosi talking about the unemployed.

JohnMichael
10-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Bless the miners and those involved in the rescue. The strength, faith and hope they demonstrated was amazing. What Heros!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Man, you sound like Pelosi talking about the unemployed.

Bright move Hyfi, thanks for turning this political.

GMichael
10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
What's the latest update? Is that one guy going to move in with the mistress? Does the wife get half of his back pay?