So... what did you think of the Revolutions sound mix? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So... what did you think of the Revolutions sound mix?

Waxxiemann
04-08-2004, 03:12 PM
I am not really a Dolby digital fan, I like DTS a lot more but Revolutions had some killer mixing. If you ever want to test out your new subwoofer, this would be the right film for the job. There is also a lot of surround information as well. Overall I am really pleased with the sound mixing in this movie.

What do you guys think?

kelsci
04-09-2004, 08:46 PM
I am not really a Dolby digital fan, I like DTS a lot more but Revolutions had some killer mixing. If you ever want to test out your new subwoofer, this would be the right film for the job. There is also a lot of surround information as well. Overall I am really pleased with the sound mixing in this movie.

What do you guys think?

I was not that impressed with the sound mixing overall. Yes, there are a few great moments of marvelous surround effects scattered here and there. This sound mix did not compare to the first MATRIX film IMHO which had better gunfire effects. For instance, when Neo fired the machine gun from the helicopter to me it sounded more intense than all the machine guns firing from the machines that the residents of Zion were using to ward off the machine attack in their cave. Had the gunfire been like the sound heard from "the Trainman" scene through this film in that intensity, it might have been a different strory. The orginal MATRIX though not an EX film had loads of center back surround sound. REVOLUTIONS and for that matter, RELOADED, had hardly none. The machine intelligence that spoke with Neo in REVOLUTIONS was excellent technically, but there was nearly the same type of scene near the end of TRON that made this seem a knockoff. REVOLOUTIONS got a 5+ D.D. soundtrack rating in its review of the disc. Not in my book.

kpzbee
04-12-2004, 01:47 PM
I was not that impressed with the sound mixing overall. Yes, there are a few great moments of marvelous surround effects scattered here and there. This sound mix did not compare to the first MATRIX film IMHO which had better gunfire effects. For instance, when Neo fired the machine gun from the helicopter to me it sounded more intense than all the machine guns firing from the machines that the residents of Zion were using to ward off the machine attack in their cave. Had the gunfire been like the sound heard from "the Trainman" scene through this film in that intensity, it might have been a different strory. The orginal MATRIX though not an EX film had loads of center back surround sound. REVOLUTIONS and for that matter, RELOADED, had hardly none. The machine intelligence that spoke with Neo in REVOLUTIONS was excellent technically, but there was nearly the same type of scene near the end of TRON that made this seem a knockoff. REVOLOUTIONS got a 5+ D.D. soundtrack rating in its review of the disc. Not in my book.

Hmm, that's interesting. I would have to disagree. My current reciever only has Dolby analog & the sound track blew me away! It sure will exersize your sub. :D I had the whole house rattling the other night watching it. It seemed to me there was just as much surround in this as the original. (I have all 3) I can't wait to hear it on the new reciever with more power & real decoding. Just my .02.

kelsci
04-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. I would have to disagree. My current reciever only has Dolby analog & the sound track blew me away! It sure will exersize your sub. :D I had the whole house rattling the other night watching it. It seemed to me there was just as much surround in this as the original. (I have all 3) I can't wait to hear it on the new reciever with more power & real decoding. Just my .02.

Kpzbee, I was listening to the original the other day and have listended to parts of it at various times over the past few days. With the exception of a few great moments of surround in REVOLUTIONS, I just cannot find justification that it is overall better than the original MATRIX movie in sound effects recording and particulaly the storyline which wandered off in some kind of never, never land. That is my two cents. I appreciate your comments just the same with my respect to you on this forum and board. KELSCI

kpzbee
04-13-2004, 02:50 AM
What I plan on doing is rewatching all 3 of them when my new reciever gets here to see if I can hear a differeance. I'll post my findings. I have to agree that the story does wander in REVOLUTIONS.

Hey, we all have opinions on things & as long as we respect each other, we'll all get along. :) Thanks for your opinion!

Keith

Mr Peabody
04-16-2004, 09:51 PM
I agree the LFE on this movie was intense to say the least.

I haven't watched 1 in awhile but watched 2 to refresh my memory before watching 3. I believe the percussion from gunfire was more real or physically felt in 2. I think part of this was in many scenes where there was gunfire in 3 there was also music playing. I thought SWAT had good gunfire sound effects.

I thought Revolution had good sound. One thing I noticed in the mix, and also have noticed on a couple other movies, it seemed like more rear effects came out of the right than the left rear channel. Did anyone else hear that? I thought maybe something was wrong but on passages where both speakers played to put the effect in the rear center, the rears were balanced. For some reason some movie mixes seem to favor one rear channel. I guess maybe it's because more action went that direction on screen.