Emotiva launches XDA-1 $300 DAC [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Emotiva launches XDA-1 $300 DAC

Ajani
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Emotiva has finally launched the XDA-1 DAC. Available now for pre-order on the Emotiva website. The cost is $300...

http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm

I pre-ordered mine as I want a separate DAC for my living room system... I now use my Benchmark DAC1 exclusively as DAC and Headphone Amp in my bedroom setup... So the XDA-1 will be the perfect complement for my XPA-2 Amp in the living room.. When I get the XDA-1 I'll be sure to write up a comparison between it and the DAC1...

winston
10-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Emotiva has finally launched the XDA-1 DAC. Available now for pre-order on the Emotiva website. The cost is $300...

http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm

I pre-ordered mine as I want a separate DAC for my living room system... I now use my Benchmark DAC1 exclusively as DAC and Headphone Amp in my bedroom setup... So the XDA-1 will be the perfect complement for my XPA-2 Amp in the living room.. When I get the XDA-1 I'll be sure to write up a comparison between it and the DAC1...

it looks more like a thousand bucks!! Ajani.

I got a email from them for the pre-order myself but I haven't done so as yet, but" with the (UPA-5) at a ridiculously $400 bucks through Halloween its kind of tempting... for the music & HT :idea:

Ajani
10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Yep... It really looks like an expensive product...

Emotiva seems really confident about it, having designated it as one of their Reference products... They even had it connected direct to their XPA-1s at Emofest.... So it should sound quite special with my XPA-2...

http://emotiva.com/xda1/main.jpg

Mingus
10-14-2010, 07:40 AM
It looks like a very nice unit. I might get it to pair with the SB Touch I purchased recently.

Ajani
10-14-2010, 09:30 AM
It looks like a very nice unit. I might get it to pair with the SB Touch I purchased recently.

I plan to pair mine with my Squeezebox Classic...

harley .guy07
10-14-2010, 08:22 PM
I would say that this unit will be a surprise to companies selling dacs that are higher in the 3 digit mark since it seems to be a quality piece. I would have looked at it if it would have been out when I was shopping for a dac back when I bought my ps audio digilink 3 but I would not think it can keep up with the pc audio, but it is under half the retail price as well. I believe this unit will be a great unit for people wanting to enter a higher end digital world and improve their playback of their cd/dvd players or transports and not spend a whole lot to do it. Before this unit the only units at this price that got a lot of press were the music streamer series and off brand stuff on ebay. I do really like the remote and preamp options on this unit as they are very unique to a unit at this price point. I am interested in hearing how this unit compares to some of the other units out there since the price is so low.

Ajani
10-14-2010, 09:36 PM
I would say that this unit will be a surprise to companies selling dacs that are higher in the 3 digit mark since it seems to be a quality piece. I would have looked at it if it would have been out when I was shopping for a dac back when I bought my ps audio digilink 3 but I would not think it can keep up with the pc audio, but it is under half the retail price as well. I believe this unit will be a great unit for people wanting to enter a higher end digital world and improve their playback of their cd/dvd players or transports and not spend a whole lot to do it. Before this unit the only units at this price that got a lot of press were the music streamer series and off brand stuff on ebay. I do really like the remote and preamp options on this unit as they are very unique to a unit at this price point. I am interested in hearing how this unit compares to some of the other units out there since the price is so low.

Even though Emo didn't confirm it on their forums, I was left with the impression that this DAC is supposed to be a Benchmark DAC1 killer... I believe that is the model they used as reference... With the goal of doing better for less than a third of the price... So I'm really interested to see if they succeeded...

The main selling points in addition to the low price are the volume control and the full width chassis... I know quite a few audiophiles are tired of small chassis DACs...

luvtolisten
10-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Even though Emo didn't confirm it on their forums, I was left with the impression that this DAC is supposed to be a Benchmark DAC1 killer... I believe that is the model they used as reference... With the goal of doing better for less than a third of the price... So I'm really interested to see if they succeeded...

The main selling points in addition to the low price are the volume control and the full width chassis... I know quite a few audiophiles are tired of small chassis DACs...

Very nice looking DAC, thanks for posting Ajani!
Besides the features you've listed, I also like the fact that it has a well light front panel, (that can be dimmed) and a large volume display which makes the remote all the more useful.

Yes, do get back with your thoughts on it's performance, I'd be very interested to hear them.

Ajani
11-30-2010, 07:10 AM
I just received my Fedex tracking number, so my XDA-1 should be here in a few days... Initial impressions and comparisons with my Benchmark DAC1 will be available shortly thereafter...

winston
11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
I just received my Fedex tracking number, so my XDA-1 should be here in a few days... Initial impressions and comparisons with my Benchmark DAC1 will be available shortly thereafter...
Ajani' lucky you Bro, getting hitch up on the first batch!! I'm looking forward to your Impressions, and hoping that you likes it :yesnod:

Ajani
11-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Ajani' lucky you Bro, getting hitch up on the first batch!! I'm looking forward to your Impressions, and hoping that you likes it :yesnod:

I really hope I like it too, as I have no desire to send it back... It should be good, the first review of it is out on the Emotiva forums (one of the members collected his DAC from the Emo office today). He's loving it so far...

Mr Peabody
11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
The first shipment of the XDA is sold out. The head to head with the Benchmark should be interesting. As the Benchmark costs so much more I wouldn't expect the XDA to better it but who knows. The variable out will be a big benefit for you. If the XDA is good then all you need are your speakers.

Ajani
12-01-2010, 04:13 AM
The first shipment of the XDA is sold out. The head to head with the Benchmark should be interesting. As the Benchmark costs so much more I wouldn't expect the XDA to better it but who knows. The variable out will be a big benefit for you. If the XDA is good then all you need are your speakers.

The safe money is on the Benchmark, but I'd be more than satisfied with an upset... Even if the Benchmark is better, there's still the chance that the XDA-1 will have better synergy with my XPA-2...

The variable out is great, but the main attraction is the remote... As much as I love the DAC1, the fact that it includes a headphone amp instead of a remote, makes it more suitable for use in my headphone system... While the XDA-1 having a remote but no headphone amp, makes it ideal for the living room...

Ajani
12-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I'll be picking up the XDA-1 tomorrow morning.... So expect some initial impressions tomorrow night...

harley .guy07
12-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Looking at the chips involved in both the Benchmark and the XDA I don't think the Emo will win the fight but the fact that it could be close is saying something on what Emo can do for far less than the competition. And to boot I think its a good looking piece and would have giving it a strong look before I bought my Digi link but I am quite satisfied with my PS audio unit for now and really enjoy the warmth and life it gives to my digital part of my system. But I am anxious to hear what Ajani has to say and heck if it wins the battle then I will be wrong and that will be another belt in Emotiva's trophy case to say that they did it for far less than the competition

Poultrygeist
12-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Ajani,

Being a cheap and cheerful guy I'm seriously considering the XDA. Hope it stakes up well and looking forward to your impressions.

Ajani
12-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Ajani,

Being a cheap and cheerful guy I'm seriously considering the XDA. Hope it stakes up well and looking forward to your impressions.

My initial impressions are here:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=348441&posted=1#post348441

It would be fun to try the XDA-1 with a MiniWatt amp...