speaker repair [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker repair

cgibsong002
10-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I kind of blew one of the speakers in my little boston acoustics. the woofer half pulled away from the surrounding foam. The woofer itself is still fine I believe. At low volumes the speaker sounds exactly the same as the other one, but when I turn it up it starts to crap out. Can I just glue the cone back to the foam and re-seal it? If so, what can I use?

dakatabg
10-10-2010, 06:27 PM
In my opinion, buy new foam kit and refoam it! I hope the wires inside the cone didn't move or got damaged.

cgibsong002
10-10-2010, 06:50 PM
forgot to mention... these aren't important speakers. i bought the pair of them for $20 at a thrift store. they were very nice, but aren't worth spending any real money to fix, I'd be better off just buying new speakers. I was hoping I could just repair them at home.

I took them all apart and everything inside looked fine aside from not currently being sealed as I said.

dakatabg
10-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Well see how much the foam kit goes on ebay for the Boston Acoustic speakers and decide what to do! You can refoam them yourself home, it is not hard

cgibsong002
10-10-2010, 08:42 PM
more than the speakers cost, lol. What exactly is the difference between a refoam kit and just re-gluing what I have? Sorry if I sound ignorant, I'm new to this.

To give more helpful info, I believe my foam is 100% fine. It didn't rip at or anything like that. It essentially looks as if it was never glued properly, it was a clean separation. I don't know if this is normal or not, just trying to give more help so you can give more help :D

dakatabg
10-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Can I just glue the cone back to the foam and re-seal it? If so, what can I use?

Can you just post a picture of the speaker so I think I misunderstood you. I thought the surround foam ripped. You can always glue it but it will be better if you put a new one! Post a picture so we can see it!

cgibsong002
10-10-2010, 08:58 PM
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9075/photo101100511.jpg
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/504/photo10110051.jpg

see how the cone just kind of pulled away from the foam? hopefully that shows better than i can explain.

dakatabg
10-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Well so in this case you just glue and you have to be all set!

Get some good rubber glue and glue it good. It is a very easy fix. Don't push those small speakers that much!

cgibsong002
10-10-2010, 09:18 PM
rubber as in rubber cement?

and yeah, blowing them was a mistake. It wasn't from music. I had them hooked up to my electronic drum set and accidentally had the volume up too loud. hit the low tom and it never stood a chance.luckily nothing physically ripped

dakatabg
10-10-2010, 09:28 PM
You can use the rubber cement glue and I saw on ebay there is a speaker glue too!

cgibsong002
10-11-2010, 06:53 AM
i ended up using guerrilla glue. i didn't have any rubber cement so i went with that, it says it's good for foam. hopefully it'll be fine, it's not like it should take much to glue foam to something.

on an unrelated note, i notice my woofers are quite dusty. do the grills on speakers actually serve a real purpose, or are they just for looks? i'm just curious because i noticed how much cooler my energy's look without the grills.

dakatabg
10-11-2010, 09:01 AM
You always get dust inside no mater what. Dust gets even trough the cloth grills so no worry about that! How does it sound after you glued it? It should be better than before!

cgibsong002
10-11-2010, 09:11 AM
You always get dust inside no mater what. Dust gets even trough the cloth grills so no worry about that! How does it sound after you glued it? It should be better than before!

i'm going to let it dry another hour or so before testing. i just glued it a few hours ago so I want to make sure the glue is nice and dry before testing it. i think the guerrilla glue was a good choice. it foams up when drying so it should've gotten into the foam and made a nice seal. doesn't look too pretty, but i think it should be good.

dakatabg
10-11-2010, 09:40 AM
I hope it will work good for the foam! Well let us know later when you test it how it sounds!

cgibsong002
10-11-2010, 11:05 AM
didn't really get a good test on it. i don't know how to properly set up my turntable and i was getting a lot of static out of it, so i just turned it off for now until i figure out how to do it properly. however, i did turn the volume up a bit before doing so and the speaker is definitely fixed. i can't notice any audible difference between the two speakers. interestingly, the speaker was kind of 'shivering' when playing, unlike the other speaker. i have a feeling this was due to half of the speaker being sealed differently then the other half. but like i said, it sounded normal to me.

dakatabg
10-11-2010, 11:11 AM
As long as it sounds good and you have no problems with it, thats what matters!

I don't know much about the turntable static problem but if you can't fix it, open another thread and there are many vinyl players here that will be glad to help you!

thekid
10-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Gorilla glue might be over kill. Remember the woofer has to move within the surround foam and you don't want to use a glue that will have the effect of stiffening this contact point up and restrict the movement of the woofer. Ailene's Fabric glue is a good glue for use on attaching foam surrounds to the cone.

The first thing I would check on the TT is the ground wire. Make sure it is attached to the ground on the receiver or pre-amp that you have the TT hooked up to. If that is in place properly then I would check the cartridge. I don't know the history here but if you picked the TT up from a thrift or other location it might be that the stylus is bad. Replace the stylus with one you know is good and see if that resolves the static issue.

cgibsong002
10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
yeah i know guerilla glue might've been overkill since it's not flexible. I definitely wouldn't use it one real expensive speakers. but my goal here was just to get some useable speakers (these are my backups), and i think i succeeded there.

for the TT... I don't believe mine has a ground. I can't see any place where a ground wire would come from the TT. I'm hoping the cartridge is ok. The table was my dad's, and he was in the audio industry for a while, so more than likely he took good care of this table. But he's had it sitting for so many years he forgets how to set the thing up. and I can't find any info about my table or my cartridge online.