Tang Band Horn Kit - looks easy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tang Band Horn Kit - looks easy

Poultrygeist
10-10-2010, 03:44 AM
This layered fabrication is so interesting.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Tang-Band-D4-1-DIY-Horn-Speaker-Kit/

Poultrygeist
10-10-2010, 03:54 AM
I didn't know if this kit should be under DIY but glad it's here as folks with no DIY skills can pull this one off.

Ajani
10-10-2010, 03:27 PM
The funky looks alone would be enough to tempt me to try a pair of those...

Poultrygeist
12-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Here's a very positive review of this easy to put together horn kit.

http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2010-08.pdf

Ajani
12-18-2010, 11:24 AM
I think the only mistake they made with that kit is not putting crimps on the wires... Then it would be tool-less assembly...

Jimmy C
12-23-2010, 03:39 PM
...all you need is an inexpensive tubed integrated (the Jolida FX10 comes to mind), and a CDP.

I definitely want to try a single-driver, low-power tube system - perfect for my bedroom.

JohnMichael
12-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Wow I may need to build a pair. That small Jolida int. amp also caught my eye. I have an extra cdp so I may need this for the guest bedroom.

swan24
02-22-2011, 03:12 PM
I built [assembled] a pair of the Tang Band D3-1's...

They are the smaller version of the ones pictured above in the link...

Here they are:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/signet02/001-11.jpg

The sound: Pretty darn good, considering the small size... Very unboxy, very musical... (m.)

Poultrygeist
02-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Is it possible there's another full range single driver convert in the house besides me?

Swan, they are gorgeous and please tell us more. Great combo with the Chinese amp which I also want to hear more about.

swan24
02-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Is it possible there's another full range single driver convert in the house besides me?

Swan, they are gorgeous and please tell us more. Great combo with the Chinese amp which I also want to hear more about.

Yes... albeit a recent convert... The deal is that I had only X amount of dollars to lay out, and I wanted the very best system I could get my niggly little hands on for the dough... I toiled for a few months looking into what I could get for the money, and came up with the Chinese SET int. amp and the Tang Bands...

First off, with only a bench measurement of 8.5 WPC [don't believe the 24 WPC claim], a horn loaded speaker was almost a must... Well, it was a must, really... Also, since the speakers were going to be essentially almost against the wall, I could not have the horn loaded speakers firing to the rear... So that narrowed it down a lot...

The Frugals fire to the rear, so they were out... Some of the other Fostex-based designs are forward firing, but you still need a shop-space to glue up the panels... The Tang Bands come pre-finished, and the pieces go together something like knock-down furniture... A little harder, but you get the idea here...

The amp is strictly old school single ended circuit topology... 2 EL 34's, and two 6N2's... Interestingly enough, China, and Russia for that matter, have never stopped making tube amps... And the 6N2's are made only in China. The 6N2 P, and 6N2 P EV front end tubes are only made in Russia... Or were made, as they are only available as NOS, 70's vintage... The 6 N2 P EV's being the mil spec version, and are quite good, really... I rolled a matched pair of JJ Tesla EL 34's and Russian 6N2 P EV's into the amp, and it sounds great after about 200 hrs run-in time... Just gorgeous sound... Open, alive, and very musical... I added tube dampers to help prevent any microphonics...

I have a very small one-room apt., and the system is more than enough for the space... And for $330.00 USD, the speakers aren't going to break the bank... They would also make a fine second system speaker, along with the amp...

I was dumbfounded just how good this system sounded... And I've heard it all... (m.)

atomicAdam
02-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I think I'm going to give the larger of the two models a shot, in the next month or two.

swan24
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I think I'm going to give the larger of the two models a shot, in the next month or two.

Go for it... I hear the bass response is a bit better... There are a few hot spots [in the assembly] where one might screw up, so if you need any tips, please PM me... (m.)

Poultrygeist
02-24-2011, 02:49 PM
If you need more bass you can always add a full range 15" Alpha bass driver in a simple open baffle. They are $59 each at Parts Express. I just ordered two as I'm anxious to try OB augmented bass.

Poultrygeist
02-26-2011, 01:02 AM
With the layered approach these front loaded horn cabinets have got to be some of the most rigid enclosures ever. When you rap on the sides do you hear a dull thud?

I would think these puppies are also fairly heavy for their size.

Hope to post more pictures of my FH Mk3 build before long.

swan24
02-26-2011, 06:35 AM
With the layered approach these front loaded horn cabinets have got to be some of the most rigid enclosures ever. When you rap on the sides do you hear a dull thud?

I would think these puppies are also fairly heavy for their size.

Hope to post more pictures of my FH Mk3 build before long.

Mine are about 20 lbs. each... Still pretty heavy for such a small speaker... As far as rapping on the sides, yes, they are pretty inert and solid... If you look at the above link where they show the parts going together, you can see two wood blocks that essentially reinforce the sides where there is a larger horn area unsupported... 4 wood blocks in all per speaker...

Interestingly enough, the reviewers have been describing two different horn paths in the speakers, which is not so... It is one contiguous horn... There is a compression chamber behind the speaker, then in the upper left portion of the chamber is the throat of the horn... It gets steadily larger in cross-section as it passes downward along the left internal panel, then crosses over inside the bottom rear of the speaker to the right internal panel, where it gets even larger, then passes to the upper center panel where it gets even larger, then exits at the mouth of the horn... It's pretty hard to follow, but if you look at it long enough, you get the layout...

I'd like to see those MK III FH's... Can you get those in a flat pack anywhere?... I mean, the basic wood pieces already cut and ready to glue up?... (m.)

Poultrygeist
02-26-2011, 08:15 AM
There is discussion on the FH Mk3 site regarding selling flat packs but I would think the shipping would be high since they may come from Canada.

An easier solution is to take the plans to a cabinet shop ( kitchen cabinets ) and get an estimate. There are only seven pieces to assemble per speaker.

atomicAdam
02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
i'm curious if one, say, didn't like the actual driver that much, if one could easier replace with another full range driver w/ a smoother high end or even of a larger diameter and make a new face plate?

What do you think?

swan24
02-26-2011, 03:33 PM
i'm curious if one, say, didn't like the actual driver that much, if one could easier replace with another full range driver w/ a smoother high end or even of a larger diameter and make a new face plate?

What do you think?

I can only speak for the TB D3-1's, and the driver in those is not in the Tang Band range of raw speakers they sell... I believe it is specially designed for the enclosure... How functional-specific is it?... That might be a question best directed to the company:

info@tb-speaker.com [Att: Diana]

The full-range driver in the TB D3-1 is the Tang Band W3-1616 S Super 3" full range driver...

As far as a larger driver, they run the speaker baskets pretty close to the inside of the box, as the boxes themselves are not very wide, but deep...

The TB D4-1's likely have a special driver as well... But either speaker enclosure might benefit from a change in drivers... ???... (m.)

Poultrygeist
02-27-2011, 05:47 AM
Those Tang Bands fit the purpose built parameters of their enclosures and it's doubtful anything else would work as well.

I have a pair of the 8 inch Tang Bands which go toe to toe with Lowthers but their specs call for a BIB ( Big Is Better ) cab which I don't have room for.

The FH Mk3 is flexible and can take a variety of drivers including the Fostex FE126En, Mark Audio CHR-70, Alpair7, and CSS EL70. Only the dampening plan is altered for some of the drivers.

swan, I'd bet you're hooked enough to try another build/assembly? Putting something together yourself that sounds good gives you so much more ownership and pride of accomplishment compared to going the store bought route. Next time someone comes over and asks where you got those great sounding speakers what great fun to say, "oh, I built them".

swan24
02-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Those Tang Bands fit the purpose built parameters of their enclosures and it's doubtful anything else would work as well.

I have a pair of the 8 inch Tang Bands which go toe to toe with Lowthers but their specs call for a BIB ( Big Is Better ) cab which I don't have room for.

The FH Mk3 is flexible and can take a variety of drivers including the Fostex FE126En, Mark Audio CHR-70, Alpair7, and CSS EL70. Only the dampening plan is altered for some of the drivers.

swan, I'd bet you're hooked enough to try another build/assembly? Putting something together yourself that sounds good gives you so much more ownership and pride of accomplishment compared to going the store bought route. Next time someone comes over and asks where you got those great sounding speakers what great fun to say, "oh, I built them".

Right... I'm getting the bug to build a larger set of speakers... Ironically, I did a lot of wood working in my day, even going as far as to rent a loft space for a wood shop... But those days are past, as the rents went up and up... But I have a friend who makes cabinets, and I'm sure I could take a set of plans to him and have him cut, rout, and rabbet the pieces to spec...

I do like the latest iteration of the Frugals... Simple, easy, economical and good sounding, from what I've heard... I'd go with Baltic birch ply, and maybe ask my shop buddy if I could use a bunch of his wood clamps for a day or two... The only thing that might need time is trying to figure out the critical amount and type of damping material, both on the inside horn walls, and stuffed up into the mouth... (m.)

Poultrygeist
02-27-2011, 08:14 AM
I too like the Baltic birch but it's hard to find the void free stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. My friend who has access to the CNC router had plenty of 3/4 MDF on hand so I went with that instead.

If you download the free FH Mk3 plans, page 6 of 8 has the recommended type and amount of dampening material and pictures as to location and density.

I have a pair of the older Fostex FE126e in small bass reflex cabinets and 2.5 watts will drive them to obscene levels. Your more powerful Chinese amp would have tons of headroom with the 126En drivers and in a horn design you gain even more efficiency.

swan24
02-27-2011, 08:28 AM
I too like the Baltic birch but it's hard to find the void free stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. My friend who has access to the CNC router had plenty of 3/4 MDF on hand so I went with that instead.

If you download the free FH Mk3 plans, page 6 of 8 has the recommended type and amount of dampening material and pictures as to location and density.

I have a pair of the older Fostex FE126e in small bass reflex cabinets and 2.5 watts will drive them to obscene levels. Your more powerful Chinese amp would have tons of headroom with the 126En drivers and in a horn design you gain even more efficiency.

MDF is OK, but it's really mean stuff to work with at home... Esp. routing it... The dust sticks to everything in sight... I'll check out the plans... Thanks... (m.)

Poultrygeist
02-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Routing MDF is better left to pros with whole shop vacs. I've cut MDF in my garage wearing a dust mask and still felt sick afterwards.

I would think that most commercially built speakers use MDF as it's so much cheaper than plywood.