Sentry SP100 speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sentry SP100 speakers

Joe_Carr
10-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I just don't know how they do this but I got these speakers from back in 2007 I' am still today amazed how FULL the sound is on these little portable speakers. When I saw the specs says it goes from 20 hz to 20 kHz I thought it was a joke but when you put them close to your ears you can actualy hear all of the deep bass mids and highs like a high end system. I did open the back led of the speakers and I saw it had a huge magnet I think maybe that's how it has soo much power. The speakers are only 1 inch but they go 2watts each. Now for a 1in speaker that is alot of power for it's size. Most speakers this size is like only rated half watts not even 1 watts. You have to hear these to actualy understand what I' am talking about. I just wonder how Sentry made these. It does have alot of excursion on it since if I push it back it goes pretty far back. I didn't push it that hard of cource but enough to see how much it can freely move and it moves very freely.

I' am talking about the Sentry SP100. Not alot of people know these amazing speakers but they have the sound of a full sized stereo system. Just have to put them close to your ears to hear the deep bass. If you set them down you won't hear as much bass but when they are close to your ears if when you get amazed. You still hear some bass when they are on the desk but just doesn't give you the full effect like a big stereo system. These are like soo portable you can put them in your pocket. They have a built in rechargable battery and you charge them by using your USB port. You can use an power adapter that has 5 volts too of cource.

But eather way has anyone else ever seen these and heard them? I don't know if there are people who have portable speakers here.

As I said if you heard these you will truly be amazed for there size. I don't know how Sentry does it. I had these speakers for long time but I really like it that is't portable and I get that full sound anywhere I go. The big difference from these and actualy bigger stereos are that the bigger stereos you can hear from distance the deep bass. But these you have to have them about 3-5 inches away from your ear to hear that low bass. They won't go very loud though since it's small but if you have them set the right volume and hold them up close to your ears you hear everything.

Does basicly having a big magnet and having that excursion makes them have alot of bass?

Of cource I wish you could hear the full bass when it's 1 to 2 feet away or more but they are small after all.

Joe_Carr
10-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I' am not joking at all but you have to listen to them to understand what I' am saying. Just put them up close to your ears and you will hear the full sound of your music. My only wish I can say if that it would put that same amount of bass from a distance but you can't expect a 1in to do that you know even it has a big magnet and alot of excursion. I just assume that's the reason why it has alot of bass even it's small. Most typical speakers this size won't even get close to how much bass these make they usualy cut off around 250 hz and nothin lower is made but these really puts that low 40 hz or 30 hz even 20 hz bass but to hear 20 hz you really have to push against your ears like if they were headphones.

audio amateur
10-07-2010, 11:55 PM
SVI, no one here is interested in 1" speakers with 'big' magnets, so don't expect to get any responses

Hyfi
10-08-2010, 09:34 AM
maybe if you duct tape them to your head they would make a nice pair of headphones

I regularly listen to my speakers with my ear up to them hoping they would sound as good as a 1" driver but it never seems to work.

Get a grip dude!

ooooh and at $12.99 a pair, they are quite the bargain.

Seriously spanky, what REAL speakers have you ever listened to?

Obviously NONE to start a post like this about 12 dollar speakers.

Move along now...shows over!

Luvin Da Blues
10-08-2010, 09:41 AM
maybe if you duct tape them to your head they would make a nice pair of headphones

Like this????

I posted this ealier but it seemed to have dissapeared.

Joe_Carr
10-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Well I was just saying that when they are close to your ears you can hear the bass that's all but of cource you need a bigger system if you want to hear that bass more farther away from you. I was just supprised that how small speakers can sound good that's all. Of cource bigger speakers will have more bass. But you can't make fun of small things that's all since they are pretty good for there size. Look I wasn't saying these were the best speakers in the world but for this size and how much bass it puts is amazing. You normaly need a bigger size speaker to do this. I do have bigger speaker systems you know and I have small speakers like these. I have couple sets of speakers.

Hyfi
10-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Like this????

I posted this ealier but it seemed to have dissapeared.

Awesome, exactly how I pictured it.

How ya doin LDB? Long time....

Hyfi
10-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Well I was just saying that when they are close to your ears you can hear the bass that's all but of cource you need a bigger system if you want to hear that bass more farther away from you. I was just supprised that how small speakers can sound good that's all. Of cource bigger speakers will have more bass. But you can't make fun of small things that's all since they are pretty good for there size. Look I wasn't saying these were the best speakers in the world but for this size and how much bass it puts is amazing. You normaly need a bigger size speaker to do this. I do have bigger speaker systems you know and I have small speakers like these. I have couple sets of speakers.

Are you talking Clear bass? As in you can hear the complete note and not just mush?
I don't think so. Find a Marcus Miller disk called M2 and listen to it on a real system, then on your toys and report back.

There is NO good $12 speakers.

Luvin Da Blues
10-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Awesome, exactly how I pictured it.

How ya doin LDB? Long time....

All's good in my world, thanks for asking. And you? I post occasionally but as you know, this site isn't the same the last little while. Hopefully things will get better.

Joe_Carr
10-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Lets put it this way there are alot of speakers I like and some are rated higher and some are rated lower but all have pros and cons but none of the speakers I have are bad you know.

E-Stat
10-08-2010, 03:05 PM
...but these really puts that low 40 hz or 30 hz even 20 hz bass but to hear 20 hz you really have to push against your ears like if they were headphones.
I'm not sure this is going to come to you as good news or bad news, but you have absolutely no understanding of what a clean 30 hz note is like, much less 20 hz. It pressurizes the room in a way that your whole body senses. Have you ever heard a good pipe organ's low C pedal?

rw

Joe_Carr
10-08-2010, 04:00 PM
No I never heard of any pipe organs in person before. But eatherway I didn't say that it was the cleanest sound of the 30 hz or 20 hz I was saying that I can hear that note on the Sentry SP100 speakers. The speakers play it but it's not the cleanest ever. Most speakers this size won't even play that low notes around 30 hz or 20 hz they usualy cut off around 200 hz or so. I was just trying to explane how wide these speakers play not how clear they are.

E-Stat
10-08-2010, 06:38 PM
No I never heard of any pipe organs in person before.
What then is your reference for recognizing first octave bass? Last year, I attended a public concert at the Mormon Tabernacle the organ of which has a number of thirty-two foot stops. Can you say magnificent?

http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/motab.jpg

...I didn't say that it was the cleanest sound of the 30 hz or 20 hz I was saying that I can hear that note on the Sentry SP100 speakers.
Uh, no. Sorry, but tiny $30 speakers will not reproduce any semblance of a 20 hz note. Download the 20 hz - 30 hz decade here (http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm) and get back with us. You won't detect a thing. I suggest that you find a local church with a pipe organ having at least a sixteen foot stop to really understand first octave bass.

rw

Joe_Carr
10-09-2010, 04:39 AM
I use True RTA program and it does detect 30 hz or even 20 hz but just at 20 hz it isn't as loud as 30 hz. It's hard to beleve it but these speakers will make those low notes. At 100 hz or higher you can hear it very loud without putting them close to your ears but when you get lower then just put them close to your ears then you will hear everything loud and clear even down to 30 hz. At 20 hz it's very weak but it's there.

E-Stat
10-09-2010, 06:04 AM
I use True RTA program and it does detect 30 hz or even 20 hz
Detect? I have an app like that on my iPhone which *detects* low levels of first octave bass. That means little to nothing. Download the files I referenced and play back the 30 hz tone through those speakers. You won't feel a thing as you would when a speaker really reproduces that low. I'll make it easy. Here (http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/20.mp3) is the 20-29 hz decade and here (http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/30.mp3) is the 30-39 hz decade. Each sweeps through the frequency range one hertz at a time. More than likely, all you hear is rattling instead of sonorous bass that you actually feel.

rw

poppachubby
10-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Hahaha. Ralph you bored today or what?!?

E-Stat
10-09-2010, 06:20 AM
Maybe some day folks will challenge their beliefs with empirical results. :)

rw

Joe_Carr
10-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I actualy use a mic to test the speakers to see if they play the fequency and they do just that at 20 hz it's weak and at 30 hz it's louder but when you get around 40 or 50 hz then it's more noticeable. But if you want it to be as loud as the others then it will have to be around 150 hz or higher. The part that is amazing to me is that is actualy plays those low notes. I think these are somewhat like headphone speakers but just made so they can go louder.

I did use my ears too to see if I can hear and feel it and yes I do feel 30 hz. But when it gets to 20 hz then I have to push it against my ears more. I know 30 hz is more of a feel and I do feel it viberate like I was wearing headphones and playing those low notes.

But for around 40 or 50 hz you can have it 2 or 3 inches away from you ear to hear them. When it comes to 100 hz then you can hear it away from your ears and at 150 hz it is very very noticeable and can hear it forsure away from your ears.

Joe_Carr
10-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I have to say that even bigger speakers that are like 3in or 4in won't play those low notes they just play more the 50 hz or higher louder but when I play low notes like 40 or under the speakers won't play. Like my Bose Companion 2 Series II speakers it won't even reach down to 30 hz it cuts off but just I hear more around 50 or 60 hz louder on the Bose or other speakers than my Sentry speakers. The Sentry speakers will play down to around 30 hz or so but just isn't powerful enough to hear it away from your ears.

Basicly this is the first full size sound small speakers I ever heard but too bad they just won't play those notes loud as other frequencys like 150 hz or higher. I pretty much have to have them close to my ears if I want to hear the bass.

But eather way it ends up that it's better to have a speaker that plays 50 or 60 hz and can go louder than having a speaker that can play all but can't hear them unless you put them right to your ears. That's why I like the Bose speakers I have or my other speakers since I can hear 50 or 60 hz louder even they won't play 20 or 30 hz. Now if I get a bigger speakers like those floorstanding ones I think those will play those low 30 hz notes louder. But as you know I' am into PC type speakers rather than having a receiver and a pair of speakers.

Joe_Carr
10-09-2010, 10:21 AM
The Cyber Acoustics CA-3000 has a sub so it will help to play lower notes but it's only around 50 hz and it plays it louder than the Sentry but I guess if you have a sub that does help alot to play lower notes louder. I guess when I do listen to my music I do want to hear around 50 hz or so without having to hold them close to my ears. But when I' am on the go and going somewhere I will take the Sentry SP100 since they are the best for portable of cource. At home I like using the Bose or Cyber Acoustics or other speakers I have.

E-Stat
10-09-2010, 10:35 AM
But if you want it to be as loud as the others then it will have to be around 150 hz or higher.
That's called usable frequency response.

The part that is amazing to me is that is actualy plays those low notes.
Earbuds can deliver that too. But you never get the kind of visceral experience that you do with speakers that deliver flat response to 20 hz.

But for around 40 or 50 hz you can have it 2 or 3 inches away from you
That's called a headphone, not a loudspeaker.

rw

poppachubby
10-09-2010, 11:38 AM
But for around 40 or 50 hz you can have it 2 or 3 inches away from you

Don't sweat it Joe, most electrostat speakers have this problem too. Most owners of computers speakers and electrostats just add a subwoofer to solve the problem. The great thing about a sub is when you put you ears right up to it you can hear down to 10hz.

Hyfi
10-10-2010, 05:30 AM
I have to say that even bigger speakers that are like 3in or 4in won't play those low notes they just play more the 50 hz or higher louder but when I play low notes like 40 or under the speakers won't play. Like my Bose Companion 2 Series II speakers it won't even reach down to 30 hz it cuts off but just I hear more around 50 or 60 hz louder on the Bose or other speakers than my Sentry speakers. The Sentry speakers will play down to around 30 hz or so but just isn't powerful enough to hear it away from your ears.

Basicly this is the first full size sound small speakers I ever heard but too bad they just won't play those notes loud as other frequencys like 150 hz or higher. I pretty much have to have them close to my ears if I want to hear the bass.

But eather way it ends up that it's better to have a speaker that plays 50 or 60 hz and can go louder than having a speaker that can play all but can't hear them unless you put them right to your ears. That's why I like the Bose speakers I have or my other speakers since I can hear 50 or 60 hz louder even they won't play 20 or 30 hz. Now if I get a bigger speakers like those floorstanding ones I think those will play those low 30 hz notes louder. But as you know I' am into PC type speakers rather than having a receiver and a pair of speakers.

In case you didn't understand when they explained this before, this response along with your original post is a perfect example of why you have been labeled a "Troll".

Not too long ago you posted about having a receiver and possibly real speakers and now your back to these silly posts about how you can hear a note that most speakers don't reproduce. You are not hearing it if your holding the speaker to your ear, you are feeling it.

Ever see a pair of Bones sound reproduce vibration transferred through your shoulder bones that becomes sound to your body.

Yes this is a free to post what you want board, but as said before nobody here or in most places of the world care 2 seconds about a $12 pair of speakers. We only respond to your silly posts because we have fun laughing about it and are obviously bored.

MikeyBC
10-10-2010, 09:38 PM
I just don't know how they do this but I got these speakers from back in 2007 I' am still today amazed how FULL the sound is on these little portable speakers. When I saw the specs says it goes from 20 hz to 20 kHz I thought it was a joke but when you put them close to your ears you can actualy hear all of the deep bass mids and highs like a high end system. I did open the back led of the speakers and I saw it had a huge magnet I think maybe that's how it has soo much power. The speakers are only 1 inch but they go 2watts each. Now for a 1in speaker that is alot of power for it's size. Most speakers this size is like only rated half watts not even 1 watts. You have to hear these to actualy understand what I' am talking about. I just wonder how Sentry made these. It does have alot of excursion on it since if I push it back it goes pretty far back. I didn't push it that hard of cource but enough to see how much it can freely move and it moves very freely.

I' am talking about the Sentry SP100. Not alot of people know these amazing speakers but they have the sound of a full sized stereo system. Just have to put them close to your ears to hear the deep bass. If you set them down you won't hear as much bass but when they are close to your ears if when you get amazed. You still hear some bass when they are on the desk but just doesn't give you the full effect like a big stereo system. These are like soo portable you can put them in your pocket. They have a built in rechargable battery and you charge them by using your USB port. You can use an power adapter that has 5 volts too of cource.

But eather way has anyone else ever seen these and heard them? I don't know if there are people who have portable speakers here.

As I said if you heard these you will truly be amazed for there size. I don't know how Sentry does it. I had these speakers for long time but I really like it that is't portable and I get that full sound anywhere I go. The big difference from these and actualy bigger stereos are that the bigger stereos you can hear from distance the deep bass. But these you have to have them about 3-5 inches away from your ear to hear that low bass. They won't go very loud though since it's small but if you have them set the right volume and hold them up close to your ears you hear everything.

Does basicly having a big magnet and having that excursion makes them have alot of bass?

Of cource I wish you could hear the full bass when it's 1 to 2 feet away or more but they are small after all.
:mad2:

audio amateur
10-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm glad you asked because i was about to... :)

Any more thoughts about those cables?

E-Stat
10-11-2010, 05:13 AM
Any more thoughts about those cables?
Well, my excuse before was that with the 300 disc changer in place, it was a major pain to switch ICs in the cramped space. Now, with the Touch that excuse is gone! Thanks for the reminder. I also want to compare the Touch/Manley upstairs vs. the GamuT. This weekend, I was enjoying the unseasonably warm 90 degree temperature outdoors. The wife and I went for a six mile walk and took a ride on the motorcycle.

rw

audio amateur
10-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Well, my excuse before was that with the 300 disc changer in place, it was a major pain to switch ICs in the cramped space. Now, with the Touch that excuse is gone! Thanks for the reminder. I also want to compare the Touch/Manley upstairs vs. the GamuT.
lol, Im not sure if there was mention of cables in your recent thread about the Squeeze but my question was aimed at Chad. He is supposed to build me some interconnects. Sorry for the confusion:)

This weekend, I was enjoying the unseasonably warm 90 degree temperature outdoors. The wife and I went for a six mile walk and took a ride on the motorcycle.
Nice. September here has been mild and sunny unfortunately ive been in an office all day working as an intern... but at least I get to buy some new toys!