Alright Britain!!! This means WAR!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Alright Britain!!! This means WAR!!!!!

Worf101
10-07-2010, 05:21 AM
I'm pissed, angry and have had enough!!!! My home, hearth and family have been infecticated by you bums from across the pond and I'm sick of it!!!!! I had a nice quiet existence, I watched some shows on US Television, HBO offerings, Mad Men, Lost etc... But most of the time I spent flying or fighting or whatever. Then things started to change... slowly and subtlely like a foot fungus...

The first crack in our armour came in the form of English Premier League Football. Why should I give a fig about West Brom beating Arsenal for the first time since heavens knows when? Yet there I was watching my son griping during 5 minutes of Stoppage Time. Stoppage TIME???? Why do I even know this stuff?????

Once the door was opened it came in like a flood, EUEFA Cup, Champions League... etc... Sports pheh, I can kinda (kinda) stommach that. But then came "regular shows" like the new and improved "Doctor Who". Next comes this "chef" who's only talent seems to be the ability to drop "F" Bombs faster and harder than a drunken Drill Sergeant. I was starting to worry but at least the guy seemd manly.

Next in was "Top Gear" I started to protest about this one but since they either drive the feck or totally destroy automobiles on a weekly basis, I kinda like this one. I'd kinda reached a truce with you people until last week when I found my son laughing hysterically to some twit named Graham Norton!!! I watched a show or two and realized that that was IT! No more!! I'm blocking BBCA for the duration. GIVE ME BACK MY FAMILY!!!!

Worf

Hyfi
10-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Uk television is way different than ours. They get away with some great stuff that is suppressed here.

When I was over there a few times I was amazed at some of the regular station shows. I think one was called Bloodline or something and each show was about a murder tied to a sexual fetish.

As far as the chef, remember the Galloping Gourmet? He was usually drunk as piss by the end of each half hour show. Didn't drop the F bombs but was pretty funny. He was a Brit.

audio amateur
10-07-2010, 05:33 AM
I won't even mention 'The Inbetweeners'... The rawest/crudest television show ive ever seen. Worf, keep your son away from it!

Not that all British television shows are like this...

Worf101
10-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Tongue firmly planted in cheek....

Worf

Hyfi
10-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Tongue firmly planted in cheek....

Worf

Chicken Hawk!!!

Worf101
10-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Chicken Hawk!!!
Well played sir... well played.

Worf

dean_martin
10-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Confessions of an American Whiskey drinker, part 3,533:

I've now joined the wife in watching Come Dine with Me on BBC America.

kevlarus
10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
No one tell Worf how many of them there Brits are on the major networks in the US... I give you Hugh Laurie.

Took me a bit until I recognized him from one of the Black Adder seasons from way back.

Troy
10-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Top Gear is the most pleasing (sorta) non-fiction show on TV. Having owned a Morris Marina back in the late '70s (one of, I think, three in the entire state of California, and sold under the Austin marque), the car they vilify every week and drop pianos on whenever possible, I feel a particularly strong kinship with the show. I would love to take a lap in the moderately priced car.

recoveryone
10-08-2010, 12:22 PM
lol Worf...I raise my hand as to be guilty. I watched 3 seasons of a show (Wheeler Dealer) that restored older vehicles, mainly from the 80's. I'm a gearhead so I watch any DIY to see how the pros do it. I will admit, it took me most of the first season just to translate the jargon into American terms: Bonnet=hood, Wing=fenders and so on, plus it was in HD.