I need some decent surrounds... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need some decent surrounds...

r3dline
04-08-2004, 12:13 PM
I am currently running a pair of JBL J900MV towers up front (yeah I know, not the best sounding mains by ALL means, but they do the job for my VERY low budget) and a matching center J-Center. I bought a pair of JBL J520M bookshelves for like 60 bucks just to use as surrounds. I figured I should just get the matching bookshelves for my three front channels...

But these bookshelves sound like crap. I mean, the towers sound decent (again for my budget), but the bookshelves are horrible. Of course, I got hosed on eBay, and ended up with one that is completely blown and another that just sounds like crap. But that's a long story and another story all together at that...

Anyway, would it be alright to use two surrounds that totally don't match to my fronts? If not...can anyone suggest a pair of decent surrounds that are moderately priced (maybe under $150 new for the pair)? I know it's a VERY low budget, but there's got to be SOMETHING out there that sounds better than these J520Ms. Or am I just dreaming out of this price range?

PS: I listen to a LOT of music, although rarely in 5-channels. But my girlfriend always wants to listen to it in 5-channel, so I would need something that sounds at least decent for music. :/

Bryan
04-09-2004, 05:33 AM
If you've heard and enjoy the sound the JBL E90s make then you should consider the E20s but they do go for $250 per pair delivered. Less than that if you somehow manage to find them on sale.

Geoffcin
04-09-2004, 07:04 AM
I am currently running a pair of JBL J900MV towers up front (yeah I know, not the best sounding mains by ALL means, but they do the job for my VERY low budget) and a matching center J-Center. I bought a pair of JBL J520M bookshelves for like 60 bucks just to use as surrounds. I figured I should just get the matching bookshelves for my three front channels...

But these bookshelves sound like crap. I mean, the towers sound decent (again for my budget), but the bookshelves are horrible. Of course, I got hosed on eBay, and ended up with one that is completely blown and another that just sounds like crap. But that's a long story and another story all together at that...

Anyway, would it be alright to use two surrounds that totally don't match to my fronts? If not...can anyone suggest a pair of decent surrounds that are moderately priced (maybe under $150 new for the pair)? I know it's a VERY low budget, but there's got to be SOMETHING out there that sounds better than these J520Ms. Or am I just dreaming out of this price range?

PS: I listen to a LOT of music, although rarely in 5-channels. But my girlfriend always wants to listen to it in 5-channel, so I would need something that sounds at least decent for music. :/

The short answer is YES. You can use surrounds that dont match your mains. I'm sorry about your experience with Ebay, It's pretty UN-common to get ripped off like you did. Your best bet is to buy only from long term sellers, or people with 100% feedback. I've bough several products from Cambridge Soundworks off Ebay, with no problem whatsoever.