Help: B&O Beo-Lab5000 Speakers need a receiver! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help: B&O Beo-Lab5000 Speakers need a receiver!

nwpumacats
10-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Hi - looking to setup my first audio system. Inherited a pair of Beo-Lab 5000 B&O speakers - the taller panel speakers. I would like to start small and just setup audio via a receiver and some cable wire. I would use this mostly for mp3 music from my computer, either via hardline or Apple Airport Express (wireless iTunes to Airport Express to Receiver to Speakers). Down the road, I would like to use the same receiver/speakers as part of a surround sound setup so any receiver I buy now would be able to support that. I am very new to audio - have been told $300ish is more than sufficient for a beginner receiver. What type of receiver should I get and any other suggestions on how to accomplish?

Ultimate goal: play music from my computer into these speakers, and possibly television as well.

Thx in advance.

PDN
10-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Well, the selection of an AVR for these loudspeakers depends on the specs of the speakers themselves. I just found them on-line (the ones with built-in amps but I'll assume you don't have the amps) and see that they are rated at a nominal 8 ohms, long term max power input of 120 watts, and a sensitivity of 89dB. That's about average. You don't want to select an AVR with too little power which can not drive these to their full potential. For a brand new unit, you may have to spend more than $300.00. Don't go that low. Can you squeeze out $500.00 for new? Try and shoot for an AVR rated at 100 watts/channel into 8 ohms all channels driven. Rotel and NAD rate their AVRs this way (all channels driven). Many of the others such as Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, etc will publish a per channel watt power output rating but then in the small fine print state that this is based on 2 channels driven, not all channels driven. Just my input for you.

nwpumacats
10-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Do you have any suggestions for a specific model? Will any of these be able to be used down the road when I ultimately use this for surround sound? Do you suggest using these speakers for TV as well as playing music?

Thx
DL

Pat D
10-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi - looking to setup my first audio system. Inherited a pair of Beo-Lab 5000 B&O speakers - the taller panel speakers. I would like to start small and just setup audio via a receiver and some cable wire. I would use this mostly for mp3 music from my computer, either via hardline or Apple Airport Express (wireless iTunes to Airport Express to Receiver to Speakers). Down the road, I would like to use the same receiver/speakers as part of a surround sound setup so any receiver I buy now would be able to support that. I am very new to audio - have been told $300ish is more than sufficient for a beginner receiver. What type of receiver should I get and any other suggestions on how to accomplish?

Ultimate goal: play music from my computer into these speakers, and possibly television as well.

Thx in advance.

According to what I have found on the net, the BeoLab 5000 is a self-powered speaker. This would need a preamp or at least a CD player with a volume control.

The VeoVox 5000 is the passive version. This would require amplification from a receiver or other amplifier.

http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=1002

I imagine any good receiver should drive the Beo vox reasonably well, but I really know nothing more about them. You can check the link to follow further links to the systems it was supposed to go with.