Tekton Lore - ZU Audio's Omen has competition [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tekton Lore - ZU Audio's Omen has competition

Ajani
10-05-2010, 03:38 PM
So I was on the Tekton site and saw the Lore:

http://www.tektondesign.com/lore.html

It sells for just $1K (I believe the introductory price is still $850). It has a full range 10 inch driver, high efficiency 98db @ 8ohms and similar dimensions and look to the ZU Audio Omen (see my Omen thread)...

I can't wait to see some reviews and better yet some comparisons between the Lore and the Omen....

http://www.tektondesign.com/images/lore_06.jpg

Poultrygeist
10-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Eric is partial to Fostex drivers and uses them in most of his designs. I wonder who makes the 10 incher?

poppachubby
10-05-2010, 07:12 PM
They have the inverted woofer/tweeter design, similar to the Mission 700 series. My 707's employ that same design, and it's great!

Tekton are simply awesome. My speaker situation is quite good right now but I will eventually move into some Tekton or DIY full rangers.

Ajani
10-06-2010, 07:50 PM
They have the inverted woofer/tweeter design, similar to the Mission 700 series. My 707's employ that same design, and it's great!

Tekton are simply awesome. My speaker situation is quite good right now but I will eventually move into some Tekton or DIY full rangers.

Tekton is really starting to tempt me... I'm considering either the 8.1EN ($440) or 8.1T ($650):

http://www.tektondesign.com/Model81en.html

http://www.tektondesign.com/Model81t.htm

The former is a full-range 8 inch driver, 96db @ 8ohms. While the latter is a two-way (1 inch tweeter & 8 inch woofer), 95db @ 4ohms. Both are high sensitivity...

I just sent an e-mail to Tekton asking about sonic differences between the two, so hopefully I'll get a response soon...

Poultrygeist
10-07-2010, 03:28 AM
Fostex recommends these enclosures ( link below ) for the 206 which are used in the first Tekton you referenced. The back loaded horn design seems the most popular with DIYers but it's a tough build. As much as I love my simple Tektons 4.5's I wish I had known enough at the time to build them myself.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE206En.pdf

Poultrygeist
10-07-2010, 03:50 AM
In re-reading the link I provided above, it's interesting that Fostex doesn't recommend the 206 for use in a bass reflex box. Weird that they do offer plans for a BR ?????

Ajani
10-07-2010, 07:06 AM
In re-reading the link I provided above, it's interesting that Fostex doesn't recommend the 206 for use in a bass reflex box. Weird that they do offer plans for a BR ?????

Yeah it is weird, but I guess it just comes down to some persons not being willing or able to build the horn type enclosure....

Ajani
10-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Fostex recommends these enclosures ( link below ) for the 206 which are used in the first Tekton you referenced. The back loaded horn design seems the most popular with DIYers but it's a tough build. As much as I love my simple Tektons 4.5's I wish I had known enough at the time to build them myself.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE206En.pdf

Thanks for the link... I doubt I'll try it, since my woodworking and DIY skills are ZERO... But it is nice to see how simple the design actually is....

Ajani
10-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Better Pic:

http://www.tektondesign.com/images/Home_06.jpg

poppachubby
10-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Ajani I can totally see your gear matched with a pair of Tektons. I think they fit your ideas about sound and look. Have you talked to Eric yet? I have long been a fan and usually always rec Tekton when someone is looking for an affordable option.

Ajani
10-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Ajani I can totally see your gear matched with a pair of Tektons. I think they fit your ideas about sound and look. Have you talked to Eric yet? I have long been a fan and usually always rec Tekton when someone is looking for an affordable option.

I sent him an e-mail last night asking which (if any) model would be better for my amp... I really hope he says the 8.1EN as I'm interested in the full-range driver... If I don't get a response by weekend, I'll just call him and ask...

Hopefully the Tektons will mate nicely with the Emotiva, if not then it will give me an excuse to buy a miniwatt amp (lol)....

poppachubby
10-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I sent him an e-mail last night asking which (if any) model would be better for my amp... I really hope he says the 8.1EN as I'm interested in the full-range driver... If I don't get a response by weekend, I'll just call him and ask...

Hopefully the Tektons will mate nicely with the Emotiva, if not then it will give me an excuse to buy a miniwatt amp (lol)....

Yes hopefully he's had some feedback from an Emo owner already. He's very communicative with his clients, so chances are he may know of some actual experience. Aside from sensitivity, your biggest concern will be impedance matching which can sometimes only be determined once you connect everything. I like the idea of a super powerful SS amp and the full range speakers, the amp will push those things to the edge dynamically.

Poultrygeist
10-07-2010, 04:37 PM
High efficiency FR speakers can reach more of their potential with low powered tube amps preferably single ended triodes or pentodes but they can also sound great with more powerful push pull tube amps.

Ajani, I would ask Eric why Fostex doesn't recommend their 206 in a bass reflex design as that is what the 8.1EN appears to be.

Ajani
10-07-2010, 06:12 PM
High efficiency FR speakers can reach more of their potential with low powered tube amps preferably single ended triodes or pentodes but they can also sound great with more powerful push pull tube amps.

Ajani, I would ask Eric why Fostex doesn't recommend their 206 in a bass reflex design as that is what the 8.1EN appears to be.

In addition to it using what looks to be a bass reflex design, it also differs from the other BR Designs of the cheaper models.. Those ones tend to be approximately twice as tall as they are wide, while the 8.1EN's height is closer to 1.5x its width... In fact the 6.5EN is just over an inch taller than the 8.1EN... So clearly some changes have been made to the design...

Ajani
10-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Eric is partial to Fostex drivers and uses them in most of his designs. I wonder who makes the 10 incher?

It's a pro audio brand. The Model is in the Eminence Legend Line (I believe they are guitar speakers)...

The tweeter is the Audax TW025A28 Gold Dome Tweeter....

atomicAdam
10-08-2010, 09:34 AM
a pair should be on their way soon - so i'll compare the Omen and the Lore for you all.

I might be able to get in a Prima Luna tube amp as well for you tube fans.

-adam

Poultrygeist
10-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Ajani,

Eminence of Kentucky makes excellent guitar amp speakers as well as tons of other types. They make the drivers for the Hawthorne OBs and their Alpha's are some of the best bass drivers available. My outdoor sub uses an Eminence 10 incher.

Poultrygeist
10-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Does the Lore driver have a whizzer cone? If so I'd prefer the Omen with its phase plug. Someone said the drivers are the same otherwise??????