Star Wars in 3D [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars in 3D

Smokey
10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/photos/stylus/153281-star_wars_341.jpg

George Lucas is set on rereleasing the "Star Wars" franchise in new 3D conversions beginning in 2012. Lucas purportedly was waiting until there were enough screens available to make the release a sizable event, and by late winter or early spring in 2012, there should be enough 3D screens for such a release.

Episode I, "The Phantom Menace," would be first out of star-dock during early 2012. After that, each film would be released in order at the same time in consecutive years, depending on how well the first rerelease does.

Each conversion takes at least a year to complete, with Lucas overseeing the process to make sure each is as perfect as possible.

In the meantime, Lucas plans a comprehensive Blu-ray Disc set of the six films next year, which would include upgraded picture and sound quality, new deleted scenes and special features.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i677c428c4dc16c2c7592835d50e86a3a

recoveryone
10-04-2010, 04:09 PM
I been waiting for the BR, :)

Robert-The-Rambler
10-04-2010, 04:36 PM
To rerelease these movies again is nuts. I'm not sure they will be that big a deal unless the 3D is truly amazing and after Avatar and so many others it might become a total yawn experience. I noticed in the theater I was at that the image was quite dim watching Avatar in 3D. Sure enough it was way brighter in 2D in my home theater. I think it surely is a risky move and it could bomb as we all have seen these movies before.

I sure hope they don't judge the success of the project on The Phantom Menace. That movie sucked and probably is not the best judge of success. I don't want to see that one anything but blindfolded and for free.

Anyhow, the Bluray release is interesting. I'll probably check out how that goes.

Smokey
10-04-2010, 08:27 PM
I am with you guys. Goerge Lucas seem to have gotten lazy and keep rehashing his golden eggs. I mean instead of spend all that money and time on upgrading Star Wars, why not make new SW movie shot in true 3D. And let Steven Spielberg direct it :)

But I bet the Bluray release will probably look awsome as he said will upgrade the picture and sound.

Woochifer
10-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I prefer the headline that John Gruber from daringfireball.net wrote ...

George Lucas Continues Work on His Promise to Keep Making the Original Star Wars Trilogy Worse

RGA
10-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I hate to say it because i liked Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back - Return was mediocre and the new ones all sucked.

But honestly this has been done to death and the movies (even the first two parts 4 and 5 whatever) are getting harder to sit through. Audiences are more sophisticated and they just don't hold the power they once did. Good for Lucas to make as much money as he can but he's a one trick pony and the trick is tired.

I bought the laserdisc of Empire Strikes back - didn't touch the DVDs and frankly the movies are not good enough to buy. They will get watched once and sit on the shelf until the next technology comes and replaces Blu-Ray. Once you've watched the extras you'd probably never watch them again anyway.

Raiders of the Lost Ark I would buy. Buying Sets is only good if all the movies in the set are good. Otherwise you're paying for bad movies. Return of the Jedi was not a good movie so why pay for it? Just because it completes the story? I dunno. A movie that was geared to sell toys.

3LB
10-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I am so done with Star Wars.

dean_martin
10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I'll probably get it just for the new sound track! Check this out and turn it up!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/53DQgbj2mIc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/53DQgbj2mIc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tarheel_
10-06-2010, 06:24 AM
I have the SE laserdiscs and they look/sound wonderful...I was given the DVD box set for Christmas. i hate to double-dip.

Outside of hardcore fans, i just don't see a huge demand for blu-ray sets of these as most folks interested own some type of format.