ELO vs. Paul McCartney [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ELO vs. Paul McCartney

PPG
04-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon...who's work do you admire most, 70's-era ELO/Jeff Lynne or McCartney.

Here's a little memory jogger - 6 albums from each:

ELO

Eldorado
Face The Music
A New World Record
Out of the Blue
Discovery
Time (1981)

Paul McCartney

McCartney
Ram
Wings/Wildlife
Red Rose Speedway
Band On The Run
Venus and Mars

Troy
04-08-2004, 01:13 PM
There are some really good and really BAAAAD albums in those 2 lists.

You neglected to list a lot of really awful McCrapney albums and it's because of those that I picked ELO.

"Eldorado" is an absolutely gorgeous album. One of the few Mo-Fi's I own (bought used on the cheap, natch)

MindGoneHaywire
04-08-2004, 03:24 PM
If you'd included the Move on the ELO side I might've had more difficulty with this vote.

Dusty Chalk
04-08-2004, 06:58 PM
ELO all the way!!!1!

Sorry, I was channeling CRF there for a second.

dld
04-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Absolutely loved New World Record. One of my favorite 70's LPs. But Band On The Run ranked even higher, Mrs. Nasty and I's dating album. McCaw all the way! (Even with all the horrid dreck)

PPG
04-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Absolutely loved New World Record. One of my favorite 70's LPs. But Band On The Run ranked even higher... McCaw all the way! (Even with all the horrid dreck)

I'd agree with that all the way, although I do love those ELO albums to death, and the first time me and my brother heard New World Record - to us, it was like a new Beatles album in '76. .

Worf101
04-09-2004, 07:43 AM
I have both "Face the Music" and "New World Record". I love them both. If you're considering both bands work from that era I have to go with ELO. I feel and felt that a bunch of McCartney's work from then was absolute friggin drivel. Some of that chite never would've seen the light of day or airplay if "Sir Paul's" name wasn't slathered all over it.

No Contest.

Da Worfster

DarrenH
04-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Gotta go with ELO.

Paul had more lemons than Jeff. Anyway......

Eldorado is simply fantastic and if ya haven't heard the DCC version you should.

Face The Music is a classic.

A New World Record was my favorite album for quite awhile.

Out of the Blue is when they started to lose it with me but it's still a decent record.

Discovery had some catchy tunes and was actually not bad either.

Time draws a blank.

Zoom wasn't bad.

Oh, if you don't have OLE ELO, it's rocks! Damn good early "best of".

Darren

Dusty Chalk
04-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah, but the CD sucks -- it's got short versions of both "Kuiama" and "Roll Over Beethoven".

dld
04-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Gotta go with ELO.

Paul had more lemons than Jeff. Anyway......

Eldorado is simply fantastic and if ya haven't heard the DCC version you should.

Face The Music is a classic.

A New World Record was my favorite album for quite awhile.

Out of the Blue is when they started to lose it with me but it's still a decent record.

Discovery had some catchy tunes and was actually not bad either.

Time draws a blank.

Zoom wasn't bad.

Oh, if you don't have OLE ELO, it's rocks! Damn good early "best of".

Darren

Hey Darren, we went to Luna de Noches tonight and had more of that great meskin food. Ummm. Bunch of tjhose dark Dos Equis beers. Ole ELO, had some good songs on it but it may be the worst recorded album I've ever heard. Sound quality wise, its the pits. For a good compilation, Best Of ELO is it. One other thing, you know those Van Morrison CDs you left with us, Links & Love Songs? Kathy plays them just about 24/7. Since I started getting comps four years ago, there have never been any that have gotten her undivided attn like these.
I've never thanked you, So, THANKS!!!

DarrenH
04-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Yeah, but the CD sucks -- it's got short versions of both "Kuiama" and "Roll Over Beethoven".

Dusty,

The First Light Series remasters of ELO's I and II are quite good and the ones to own.

Do you have these?

Darren

DarrenH
04-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Hey Darren, we went to Luna de Noches tonight and had more of that great meskin food. Ummm. Bunch of tjhose dark Dos Equis beers. Ole ELO, had some good songs on it but it may be the worst recorded album I've ever heard. Sound quality wise, its the pits. For a good compilation, Best Of ELO is it. One other thing, you know those Van Morrison CDs you left with us, Links & Love Songs? Kathy plays them just about 24/7. Since I started getting comps four years ago, there have never been any that have gotten her undivided attn like these.
I've never thanked you, So, THANKS!!!

Luna de Noches....yummmm. What a great restaurant. Fantastic meal. And I remember those dark Dos Equis. Very tastey. In fact, I remember having to drive back to Irving that night too. :)

I can't take credit for those Van Morrison Cd's Dave. That wasn't me. I'm sure glad Kathy's enjoying them though. Everybody's got rock out sooner or later.

Darren

NP Stone Roses - Second Coming

Jim Clark
04-10-2004, 06:28 AM
Time to break the tie, if only for a short while.

jc

Dusty Chalk
04-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Dusty,

The First Light Series remasters of ELO's I and II are quite good and the ones to own.

Do you have these?

DarrenI have II, but it's the old version -- I didn't think it'd been remastered yet. Sound quality isn't that bad, though, certainly tolerable. AFAIK, the only ones that've been remastered are Eldorado, Time, and ...uh... Secret Messages? Going from memory...

DarrenH
04-10-2004, 10:14 AM
I have II, but it's the old version -- I didn't think it'd been remastered yet. Sound quality isn't that bad, though, certainly tolerable. AFAIK, the only ones that've been remastered are Eldorado, Time, and ...uh... Secret Messages? Going from memory...

ELO 1 and 2 were released in the UK by EMI as limited editions for their respective 30th year anniversaries. ELO 1 in 2001 and ELO 2 in 2003.

ELO 1 (which was retitled "No Answer" in the US) includes bonus tracks and unreleased material from the period including The First Light CD.

ELO 2 does the same thing. Bonus tracks and unreleased material and includes The Lost Planet CD.

Both limited editions are packaged in slip cases.

I think you can still get ELO 2 but I do believe ELO 1 is oop and may be difficult to find.

http://www.ftmusic.com has all the details.

The First Light Series should continue this year with the release of "On The Third Day". At least I hope it does anyhow.

Darren

Dusty Chalk
04-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Sweet -- thanks for the information. That violin solo in "Kuiama" is stupendous.