Paradigm Mini Monitor tweeter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Mini Monitor tweeter

brian_tr
09-30-2010, 08:48 AM
I have a paradigm mini monitor fo my surround speaker. I bought these in 1999. The tweeter is blown and talked to a dealer in Dallas. He said they no longer make a replacement for it. He said he could order a diaphram for it which is probably what is wrong but if it doesn't fix it I will still have to pay for the diaphram. Total cost for installing is about $100. I think he said the part and shipping about $60. I am getting laid off of work and trying to save money. Not sure what to do. Any help would be thankful.

frenchmon
09-30-2010, 01:10 PM
I would try and get a very close match from www.Parts-Express.com

brian_tr
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I looked at the site. I really have no idea how to select a tweeter.

frenchmon
10-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Find the specs of your speakers and cll them up and speak with a tech.

Glen B
10-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I have a paradigm mini monitor fo my surround speaker. I bought these in 1999. The tweeter is blown and talked to a dealer in Dallas. He said they no longer make a replacement for it. He said he could order a diaphragm for it which is probably what is wrong but if it doesn't fix it I will still have to pay for the diaphragm. Total cost for installing is about $100. I think he said the part and shipping about $60. I am getting laid off of work and trying to save money. Not sure what to do. Any help would be thankful.
What version are your mini monitors ? I just bought new wall mount speakers to replace my stand mounted Paradigm Mini Monitor version 3's. The enclosures have dinged corners from when my grandson knocked them off their stands when he was a toddler, and the corners took the impact of the fall. The dings are not really noticeable with the grills on. The tweeters are in perfect condition otherwise.

I might be willing to consider removing the tweeters and selling them if they match what you have and you're interested. You would certainly save having to spend $160.00 to replace your blown tweeters. Here's pic of what I have.

brian_tr
10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Looked through tweeters and really did not see anything that would work. Speaker is 1" dome, 80 watts and 8 ohm. Hard to find an 8 ohm at around 80 watts.

brian_tr
10-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I sent you a PM Glen

What version are your mini monitors ? I just bought new wall mount speakers to replace my stand mounted Paradigm Mini Monitor version 3's. The enclosures have dinged corners from when my grandson knocked them off their stands when he was a toddler, and the corners took the impact of the fall. The dings are not really noticeable with the grills on. The tweeters are in perfect condition otherwise.

I might be willing to consider removing the tweeters and selling them if they match what you have and you're interested. You would certainly save having to spend $160.00 to replace your blown tweeters. Here's pic of what I have.

RGA
10-01-2010, 09:43 PM
It's not worth it.

I'll tell you why. You could probably buy a pair of those exact same speakers used for less than $160 on the used market or in a pawn shop. The Pawn shops here are filled with Paradigm speakers (but I am in Canada so that may explain it).

Still I picked up a pair of Tannoy speakers for $60 that while not perfect arevery nice indeed. I would highly highly recommend a decent pawn shop. They charge less for gear than a dealer would often give you a small 2 week warranty which is better than you'd get from Ebay and you can try before you buy. And it's not a bad way to try out some different brands on the cheap.

Granted as a surround speaker it won't mesh with your other speakers perfectly, but you could probably get away with it if it is more for movies than music.

02audionoob
10-02-2010, 05:30 AM
This place might be more certain about a diagnosis and perhaps stock the part...

http://www.freemantuell.com/

MikeyBC
10-05-2010, 01:29 AM
you can find a used set of working Mini-monitors v1 or v2 for 150 bucks, buy them and you'll have spare parts

anamorphic96
10-07-2010, 04:49 AM
I was able to get replacement tweeters off of ebay. I was patient an they came around in a couple of weeks. Be patient and also scour the internet. With patience they will pop up somewhere.

I never got around to trying but you might want to try calling Paradigm and see if they have replacements. I was able to replace the grills on v.1 Mini Monitors.

Glen B
10-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I sold him the tweeters from my now decommissioned Mini Monitors.