Simon Says - Paradise Square [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Simon Says - Paradise Square

BarryL
09-30-2010, 05:39 AM
I first heard this band on a Prog Magazine sampler.

I found their first CD, Paradise Square, on iTunes for $4.00.

This is a great prog CD that fans of keyboard-driven prog should enjoy. The band is clearly rooted in early Genesis or Marillion, but is much heavier on the guitar. Four tracks are over 10 minutes, and for the most part they use the time well. Excellent playing, good sound, lots of great prog music. It's evident these guys spend a lot of time writing these tunes rather than just whipping something off in the studio.

This is a neglected classic prog CD IMO, and worth a serious listen. It's 4 bucks well spent. So far, this is my prog find of the year.

3LB
10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
DPRP speaks highly of this album, afaict, its OOP. I think an older album is available, but not this one. DPRP suggests a strong TFK influence - you hear that?

(ps - I could have sworn I responded to this post days ago, but when I noticed this thread today... curious)

BarryL
10-07-2010, 03:29 AM
DPRP speaks highly of this album, afaict, its OOP. I think an older album is available, but not this one. DPRP suggests a strong TFK influence - you hear that?

(ps - I could have sworn I responded to this post days ago, but when I noticed this thread today... curious)

TFK, yeah, if you like TFK, this will be up your alley. This was their first album. The second was Tardigrade.

Tardigrade is also very good, including the 26 minute Brother Where'you Bound. But overall, song for song, I don't think Tarigrade is as good. It's still outstanding a bit more experimental is some places. Both albums are really good, and certainly as good as the best Flower King albums.

3LB
10-07-2010, 07:36 AM
how's the vox?

atomicAdam
10-09-2010, 06:09 AM
So I'm curious why you wouldn't just call this metal/electro-metal?

And how is this progressive?

Sorry - not to sound mean - or step on anyones feelings - but this just sounds like pop radio rock to me. A little hard, with some soft breaks, some electronic stuff - stuff that was popular 10 years ago. I'm not understanding how this is progressing the genera.

BarryL
10-18-2010, 06:10 AM
So I'm curious why you wouldn't just call this metal/electro-metal?

And how is this progressive?

Oh, the label thing? Why would you call it metal/electro-metal? Call it what you want. It's not "hard-rock" enough IMO to be metal. I might put Dream Theater or Opeth or OSI in the metal category. I'm not sure what "electro-metal" is.

This isn't like that. Very keyboard oriented, melodic vocals, fine compositions, outstanding technical playing, longer songs.

Call it retro-progressive if you must. More progressive in my mind than metal.

I suppose it's an age thing. Closer to pre-1974 Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant perhaps, and the later Swedish wave of The Flower Kings and Kaipa.

Oh, turns out these guys are Swedish too! I guess that explains it.