Initial thought of my new to me Rotel RX-1050 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Initial thought of my new to me Rotel RX-1050

Hyfi
09-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Initial thought of my new to me Rotel RX-1050

The 1050 is about 10 years old and for when it came out at $800 list, it was a full blown, 2-zone AV controller but lacking Sub out and HDMI which would be expected of such an old unit.

I was able to use the B-Speaker connections to run a sub, just to figure it out. However the older no frills sub I used actually degraded the sound I was getting out of my Clearfields.

For initial use and playing around, I just have the unit sitting on the floor in the dining room driving my Clearfield Continentals with el cheapo non audiophile speaker wire.

Also just for testing, I am using a $100 Sony DVD player to play some CDs through the Rotel. This is actually a good way to see it's pros and cons as I am sure the CDP is not helping the sound out.

The Rotel also has Bass and Treble adjustment but no way to take them out of the circuit and for the most part, I leave them flat anyway. I played several CDs over the past few nights and am pretty impressed for the $100 I spent on the Rotel. Although the bass is not as accurate as my main system, it does go pretty deep. It actually is driving the Clearfields deeper than the Counterpoint but with a loss of detail and control. Vocals, cymbals, and percussion come through pretty clear but it lacks the midrange of the Counterpoint, and it is not too far off from the Stratos amp.

As usual, if the CD is a good recording, it really shined, if it wasn't, you knew it. I'm sure with a real CDP I will get better results.

The Rotel also has a very strong AM-FM Tuner which my system is lacking as well as a dedicated Headphone capability. The tuner does pull in many stations nice and strong, even with a t-wire so the roof antenna should be better. My Grado 125s sounded awesome driven by the Rotel. I have missed using them while I had no can jack on anything.

My plan is to incorporate the Rotel into my main setup and do away with my Niles selector box that drives my JMs and Outdoor Athenas. I plan to feed the CDP to both systems and be able to turn the volume down in the living room while using the other speakers. I will also now have a Tuner and Headphones in the main system along with being able to have 3 zone capabilities. Main system feeding living room, while the 2-zone Rotel feeds the family room and patio, all with a different source.

Overall, I really like this unit for what I paid. Definitely good entry level gear.

I will update this after dropping it into my main system and getting it all setup the way I described. I'm pretty sure coupled with the RCD-1072, it will sound much better than with the crappy Sony DVD player.

pixelthis
09-29-2010, 01:07 PM

The 1050 is about 10 years old and for when it came out at $800 list, it was a full blown, 2-zone AV controller but lacking Sub out and HDMI which would be expected of such an old unit.

I was able to use the B-Speaker connections to run a sub, just to figure it out. However the older no frills sub I used actually degraded the sound I was getting out of my Clearfields.

For initial use and playing around, I just have the unit sitting on the floor in the dining room driving my Clearfield Continentals with el cheapo non audiophile speaker wire.

Also just for testing, I am using a $100 Sony DVD player to play some CDs through the Rotel. This is actually a good way to see it's pros and cons as I am sure the CDP is not helping the sound out.

The Rotel also has Bass and Treble adjustment but no way to take them out of the circuit and for the most part, I leave them flat anyway. I played several CDs over the past few nights and am pretty impressed for the $100 I spent on the Rotel. Although the bass is not as accurate as my main system, it does go pretty deep. It actually is driving the Clearfields deeper than the Counterpoint but with a loss of detail and control. Vocals, cymbals, and percussion come through pretty clear but it lacks the midrange of the Counterpoint, and it is not too far off from the Stratos amp.

As usual, if the CD is a good recording, it really shined, if it wasn't, you knew it. I'm sure with a real CDP I will get better results.

The Rotel also has a very strong AM-FM Tuner which my system is lacking as well as a dedicated Headphone capability. The tuner does pull in many stations nice and strong, even with a t-wire so the roof antenna should be better. My Grado 125s sounded awesome driven by the Rotel. I have missed using them while I had no can jack on anything.

My plan is to incorporate the Rotel into my main setup and do away with my Niles selector box that drives my JMs and Outdoor Athenas. I plan to feed the CDP to both systems and be able to turn the volume down in the living room while using the other speakers. I will also now have a Tuner and Headphones in the main system along with being able to have 3 zone capabilities. Main system feeding living room, while the 2-zone Rotel feeds the family room and patio, all with a different source.

Overall, I really like this unit for what I paid. Definitely good entry level gear.

I will update this after dropping it into my main system and getting it all setup the way I described. I'm pretty sure coupled with the RCD-1072, it will sound much better than with the crappy Sony DVD player.

KEEP US ADVISED, and congrats.:1:

frenchmon
09-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Sounds like you are having some fun over there.

Let me tell you about my adventure. I purchased a brand new pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's v3's back in 2002. Put them in my home theater with a Marantz 7.1 hometheater and I had a cheap $100 CDP. Well I thought the speakers where just not what I thought they should be. They never did sound all that great...lacked bass and imaging was not as good as I thought they should be. At first listen in two channel I felt they sounded nothing like they did when I listened in the store. They should have, seeing the Marantz is very good with 90 watts per channel. But seeing I used that system for movies and besides the family uses that system every day, I never bothered to find why the system lacked in two channel sound.

So about a month ago I decided to switch out the cheap Sony CDP and put in my Rotel CDP that I had sitting down in my two channel room in a corner not being used. Now the Rotel RC 1055 cost $699 new. Man was I surprised at what I heard coming from the Paradigms Monitor 7v3's! Imaging...better midrange and bass...yes the Paradigms where throwing off bass. The dog-gone Rotel transformed that system into something I've never heard before. The Marantz warmth is just really good. I now enjoy sitting in the family room listening to music.

Despite all the negative things I hear about Rotel gear...it seems to always have a very enjoyable sound. So I wont be surprised if your new Rotel gear does a very good job. I know people like to compare and contrast Rotel with Adcom. And I have both. The Rotels always seems to be a tad more sophisticate in its sound in my opinion. Yes Rotel is good midfi gear...one should never feel bad about Rotel.

Can wait to hear your report about you integration of Rotel in with the rest of you system.

Hyfi
10-01-2010, 04:05 AM
This receiver is growing on me. I'm actually enjoying the setup with the Clearfields and even though I'm just using a crappy dvd player to spin CDs, I am getting some real nice sound.

I did not get the remote with the unit. (the people I got it from are notorious for losing or throwing away remotes) So last night I decided to plug the Harmony One into the program software and see if it had codes for the Rotel. Although it really did not have exact setup, it did set the One up with a newer HT set of commands along with the ones that do work the 1050. I just have to go back and remove the surround and other non-1050 commands but everything else works including the A-B switching and Standby power so I'm happy about that.

This setup is proving that if you have a really good pair of speakers, a decent high quality (entry level) receiver, you don't need a high price CDP or cables to get great sound.

The interconnects between the DVD player and unit are older $45 Tara Labs ICs and the speaker wire is just the black and reds from a twisted 3 wire, thin gauge, roll of electrical wire.

Obviously you can get way better sound as you refine the odd things above but starting with a good pair of speakers, then a nice enough front end and any CD or DVD player, you can get better than average sound.

Keep in mind the Clearfields are really Von Schwiekerts from the 90s that were $4k when new, so most people working on a budget system may not have something that nice to work with but there are plenty of good sounding speakers out there both new and used.

When I put the Rotel in my main rack, I will have the opportunity to easily switch speakers to Dynaudio 82s, 42s, as well as my JM Labs 509s. I'm real interested as to how it will drive the JMs since like most JMs of this size lack some bass slam and the Rotel seems to have a decent if a little bloated, bottom end.

frenchmon
10-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Glad to hear the positive report of the 1050....

Hyfi
10-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Swapped out the Clearfields last night to put them back in my main system to show off Saturday night when some coworkers are coming over for a dinner party.

I hooked up the Dynaudio 82s to the Rotel and again was pleasantly surprised. The Rotel has enough balls to drive the danes but still can't quite control the bass all the way. It does drive them deep though.

Piano on a John Wetton Live disk was really nice as well as bass on Morglbl and Yokeshire disks.

This obviously is nowhere near and end all integrated but for someone on a $3500 budget, a nice pair of speakers, a similar integrated, and a CDP would make a nice little system.

I used the AM tuner to listen to the Phillies beat up on the Reds the other night and the FM tuner is pretty strong too.

More to come.

frenchmon
10-08-2010, 04:12 PM
You got pics?

TheHills44060
10-08-2010, 10:05 PM
. Yes Rotel is good midfi gear...one should never feel bad about Rotel.

eh not for me. I have owned numerous gear over the past 30 years and the only piece of gear to crap out on me was a Rotel pre amp, the RC-1070. Of course it died just a few days after the warranty ended. For that reason I very rarely ever recommend anything Rotel. I did own an RB-991 amp and never had any issues with it but i will NEVER buy any Rotel gear ever again.

frenchmon
10-10-2010, 11:38 AM
eh not for me. I have owned numerous gear over the past 30 years and the only piece of gear to crap out on me was a Rotel pre amp, the RC-1070. Of course it died just a few days after the warranty ended. For that reason I very rarely ever recommend anything Rotel. I did own an RB-991 amp and never had any issues with it but i will NEVER buy any Rotel gear ever again.

Ahh, I think every manufacturer has a lemon in every bunch.....I think you happen to be the person who may have gotten a bad unit, sorry. As you said, you did have a Rotel product that never had a problem. I have a RC-1090 that is just amazing.

AT

Hyfi
10-13-2010, 03:45 AM
You got pics?

Rotel1052 with Danes

This was a hard shot to get due to the room and table in the way
This shot is from the living room looking under/through dining room table

frenchmon
10-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Nice looking reciever. In the near future I may be upgrading my hometheater 7.1 reciever. If I dont go with another Marantz, Rotel will be the choice.

Thanks for the pics.

frenchmon

pixelthis
10-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Very nice, Even if it breaks, Rotel is always very stylish. Again, congrats.:1:

Hyfi
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Nice looking reciever. In the near future I may be upgrading my hometheater 7.1 reciever. If I dont go with another Marantz, Rotel will be the choice.

Thanks for the pics.

frenchmon

Very nice, Even if it breaks, Rotel is always very stylish. Again, congrats.:1:

Thanks!

Although there is no comparison in sound to my main system, which includes pre-historic tube equipment, I am enjoying this little setup. Regardless of the crappy dvd drive I am using, I am enjoying what this amp can do with the Danes.

I will be putting into the main rack shortly and the Danes will get dusty in the corner for a while.

Be back later with another update.

Poultrygeist
10-21-2010, 04:45 AM
I had no experience with Rotel until I traded for an RCD-855 recently. It's now become my favorite player. The sound and build quality are outstanding.

Hyfi
10-21-2010, 06:04 AM
I had no experience with Rotel until I traded for an RCD-855 recently. It's now become my favorite player. The sound and build quality are outstanding.

I have the 1072 and had an initial problem with it. It still acts up on some CDRs or long CDs but overall a good player.

Hyfi
10-23-2010, 04:36 AM
So I finally got everything situated and integrated. I had to write a User Guide for the Mrs :)

Now I have 3 systems that can be used alone to provide sound for 3 different locations of the house and be used together.

I have the Rotel driving my Family Room JMs on A and the Outdoor Athenas on B.
I have my main system that I can send the CD out to the Rotel to drive the other rooms.
Also still leaving the Sony CD-DVD Player hooked up to the rotel in order to just play Family Room or outdoors without turning on the main rig.

Tuner from the Rotel is sent Tape Out to my VAC pre to have a Tuner for all locations.

Then there is the HK 635 HT that I send the Front Pre Outs to my VAC so my main system drives the Fronts for the Theater, while the HK drives the Center-Rears-Sub.

The Sub is also on a switchbox which allows me to use the sub both for HT with the HK, or with my main system.

I was able to fully program the Rotel integrated with my Harmony One along with the other Sony player.

Sometimes I get confused with all this gear in one rack. Now all I am waiting for is the OPPO 93 to be released to replace my old bare bones Denon with no HDMI outs.

The Rotel certainly does not drive the JMs anywhere near the VAC-Counterpoint but it isn't all that bad if you couldn't swap 4 bananas and hear the difference. It sure is nice to have a Tuner back in the mix too.

Also in the Family Room is a real crappy HT setup that is now just Paradigm Sats and Sub, with an older Sony AV Reciever.

Now I'm going to put the Hafler Pre-Tuner and Amp in my gym and need to find some better speakers at Goodwill or similar.

Cheers, enjoy the weekend and Go Phillies!

Tonight's beers include

Southern Tier Mocha
Rogue Chipolte Ale
Cellis White
River Horse Double Witt
Wayerbacher Slam Dunkle

Hopefully that will help with the pain if the Phillies don't pull it off.

frenchmon
10-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Man...and you where doing so good...until you said Phillies. Here in St. Louis/St. Charles....which is on the other side of the river, we are pulling for the Giants.

frenchmon

Hyfi
11-09-2010, 05:22 AM
So after living with the newly integrated components for several weeks, I like the fact that I can control 3 zones as well as control the volume in different rooms separately. The flexibility is sure nice to have.

But, I sure do miss how my JMs in the family room used to sound when driven thru a Niles switchbox off of the Counterpoint. I can always just plug the bananas into the CP taps when I want to make them shine.

Overall, not bad sound from the Rotel over 50' of zip cord. If I could only spend $800 for an integrated, Rotel would be on my list to check out.