Receiver randomly shuts off [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver randomly shuts off

Jottle
04-08-2004, 09:28 AM
I have a brand new Onky HT-501 receiver that seems to be exhibiting strange behavior. It was working fine for about a month but now it seems to shut off by itself at random intervals. I've rechecked all speaker wires and connections. I doubt it's amp protection because I am using the speakers that came with it in a htib package. It's the S760 home theatre package. The weird thing is that the amp seems to shut down usually within the first 15 minutes of being turned on. After it shuts down once and I turn it bck on..it no longer shuts down automatically. It shuts off independently of the system volume. Loud or soft volumes and it will still shut down. I think the unit needs servicing since I cannot think of any other things I can do for it. I've even tried switching the surge protector just in case. Any advice?

Woochifer
04-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Take it back. If this glitch occurs regularly, then it's easy to prove that you got a defective unit. If you're still within the return window for your retailer, you might want to demand a brand new unit, as opposed to them sending the receiver out for repair and making you wait.

But, first you should check the speaker wires and make sure that no loose strands are crossing between the terminals.

Worf101
04-08-2004, 06:13 PM
I have a brand new Onky HT-501 receiver that seems to be exhibiting strange behavior. It was working fine for about a month but now it seems to shut off by itself at random intervals. I've rechecked all speaker wires and connections. I doubt it's amp protection because I am using the speakers that came with it in a htib package. It's the S760 home theatre package. The weird thing is that the amp seems to shut down usually within the first 15 minutes of being turned on. After it shuts down once and I turn it bck on..it no longer shuts down automatically. It shuts off independently of the system volume. Loud or soft volumes and it will still shut down. I think the unit needs servicing since I cannot think of any other things I can do for it. I've even tried switching the surge protector just in case. Any advice?

Make sure it's not in an overloaded circuit in the house. If you're getting insufficient voltage.. it will reset itself as well.

Da Worfster