Holy Mackerel! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Holy Mackerel!

cackalacky
09-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Just came from a buddy's house after he invited me over to hear his new desktop "system," consisting of an IMac and a pair of Audioengine A2 powered speakers. Couldn't believe my ears. At $200 (!), this simple little set-up approaches the sound of some pedigreed monitors powered by equally pedigreed amps. It's just inconceivable to me that this could be accomplished in such small boxes and at such a low price. I'll be ordering a pair immediately for my own desktop.

Is anyone aware of larger powered speakers that would be worth auditioning? Upside/downside to powered speakers?

02audionoob
09-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Will this be your primary audio system or is it for a near field monitor purpose? If you're going to expect it to fill up a big room, you might want to make sure you've auditioned it in that situation.

cackalacky
09-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Will this be your primary audio system or is it for a near field monitor purpose? If you're going to expect it to fill up a big room, you might want to make sure you've auditioned it in that situation.

The speakers I described will be for my desktop, but now I'm intrigued with the idea of powered speakers in a primary system. Mackie and others do this well with P.A speakers. Anyone doing it with stereo or home theater?

Feanor
09-26-2010, 11:53 AM
The speakers I described will be for my desktop, but now I'm intrigued with the idea of powered speakers in a primary system. Mackie and others do this well with P.A speakers. Anyone doing it with stereo or home theater?
My thought, (not my experience, though), is that self-powered speakers make excellent sense for home theatre. However there are some practical downsides.

In the first place, you need either an HT preamp, a.k.a. "prepro", or a receiver with preamp outputs -- this requirement limits your choice of equipment, usually to more expensive models.

Other than that, the most desireable self-powered speakers will have certain characteristics that limit choice:

Settings to adjust bass output depending on placement, that is, proximity to walls or corners: this also limits choice somewhat.
"Controlled dispersion" or similar description indicating that the width of spread of, especially, high-frequency sound is relatively limited so that the effect of room reflections are accordingly limited;
Balance inputs, typically with XLR-type connectors, because balance cable runs have much higher noise and interference rejection than the single-end, RCA type. But to take advantage of these your prepro or receiver must have balanced rather than just RCA outputs. If you must use RCA connections, make sure the cable is high quality, shielded type.

Mr Peabody
09-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Audio Engine are amazing. They do make a larger set with a 6" woofer and 45 watts for, of course, more money.

Martin Logan make fully powered speakers. You can even drive them with a mp3 player. The entry level is $3k though last I knew. And, these are the cheapest I know of for home stereo/theater use. Definitive Technology may have something and for possibly cheaper. I'm not up on all their models but I know they do a lot with powered speakers.

cackalacky
09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. More curiosity than anything else after hearing the Audioengines (still shaking my head). I wouldn't be surprised if we see a movement toward powered speaker technology in the near future. Amps and speakers specifically designed for one another and no speaker cables should have some significant advantages.

YBArcam
09-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I used to own a pair of Quad 12L active speakers, but didn't hang onto them long enough to really judge them fairly. I liked what I heard at the time but quickly decided I'd rather have the flexibility of using passive speakers.

I kind of wish I had kept them around a little longer and gotten more used to them. I think one day I'll probably buy another pair. Quad are gorgeous speakers, with great build and sound quality, and for some reason they can be purchased quite cheaply on the used market. I remember a somewhat lean sound, but very fast, detailed, and revealing. I think with some more break in they would fill out the sound a bit. They were already starting to, I felt at the time.