Wow. No new threads since Wednesday? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wow. No new threads since Wednesday?

Swish
09-25-2010, 02:58 PM
What is everybody doing? Watching college football? I certainly am, but I don't really have much to post about in regard to music. I am looking forward to seeing Jason and the Scorchers Thursday night, but other than that, not much on the horizon. Work has been really busy, which is good news for Swishdaddy.

So what the heck is everyone doing?

JohnMichael
09-25-2010, 04:24 PM
This one is new.:)

dakatabg
09-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Enjoying the last days of the summer :)

jonnyhambone
09-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Well I've got a 1 year old who started walking this week - so there's that. Actually though, I've been listening to a sh*t-ton of music too. Went on a bender and have new Grinderman II (love it!), Walkmen (ok), Holly Go-Lightly & the Broke-Offs (love), Mark Lamegan/Isobel Campbell (strong , so far not as good as Ballad o' Broken Seas), + some old and excellent used vinyl - Laura Nyro, Hot Tuna acoustic, Jefferson Starship 'Blows Against the Empire'.
Waiting for pre-order of Three Mile Pilot! (a couple sample songs from new one here (http://consequenceofsound.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Three-Mile-Pilot-Still-Alive.mp3) and here (http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/apmedia/Three%20Mile%20Pilot%20-%20Days%20Of%20Wrath.mp3))

+ just went from no tv to big flat screen that shows YouTube and instant Netflix so there's lots of coolness to take in!

Hyfi
09-26-2010, 05:11 AM
I'm in Spring Lake NJ dog sitting on Ocean Ave with the best view of Sea Girt and Spring Lake you can get.

If ya can't be rich, at least have some friends that are.

Anyway, they have a garage full of stuff because they have moved several times and now in this new house they have a whole house Nuvo system. They sold me a Rotel RX-1050 for $100 and threw in a Paradigm Sub, and an older Sony HT reciever and CDP.

3LB
09-26-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't really have much to post about in regard to music.
well, there you have it

Swish
09-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Well I've got a 1 year old who started walking this week - so there's that. Actually though, I've been listening to a sh*t-ton of music too. Went on a bender and have new Grinderman II (love it!), Walkmen (ok), Holly Go-Lightly & the Broke-Offs (love), Mark Lamegan/Isobel Campbell (strong , so far not as good as Ballad o' Broken Seas), + some old and excellent used vinyl - Laura Nyro, Hot Tuna acoustic, Jefferson Starship 'Blows Against the Empire'.
Waiting for pre-order of Three Mile Pilot! (a couple sample songs from new one here (http://consequenceofsound.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Three-Mile-Pilot-Still-Alive.mp3) and here (http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/apmedia/Three%20Mile%20Pilot%20-%20Days%20Of%20Wrath.mp3))

+ just went from no tv to big flat screen that shows YouTube and instant Netflix so there's lots of coolness to take in!

I guess I'm wondering how you can fit them in when you have all that good stuff. :2:

jonnyhambone
09-26-2010, 05:30 PM
I guess I'm wondering how you can fit them in when you have all that good stuff.

I wouldn't admit a Starship-love to most but folks around here are so non-judgemental...
+ this one is no 'Built This City' bile. A 1971 Paul Kantner 'solo' album that has members of his still active J. Airplane, Grateful Dead (most all of them), Quicksilver Messenger Service, Crosby & Nash. Pretty good band if you're into that sorta thing. The official Jefferson Starship wouldn't form for another 5 years...

Rae
09-26-2010, 05:58 PM
What is everybody doing?

I just thought that the Saxon thread settled all future musical discussions.

~Rae

Swish
09-27-2010, 05:02 AM
I just thought that the Saxon thread settled all future musical discussions.

~Rae

Yeah, I was going to reply with some derogatory comment, but I thought better of it.

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2010, 05:48 AM
I wouldn't admit a Starship-love to most but folks around here are so non-judgemental...

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Oh, that's sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!. :lol:

GMichael
09-27-2010, 06:10 AM

CONGRATS! That's great! This is a fun time. My little girl is 14 months. She just learned the joys of eating an apple yesterday.

Swish
09-27-2010, 06:16 AM
+ this one is no 'Built This City' bile. A 1971 Paul Kantner 'solo' album that has members of his still active J. Airplane, Grateful Dead (most all of them), Quicksilver Messenger Service, Crosby & Nash. Pretty good band if you're into that sorta thing. The official Jefferson Starship wouldn't form for another 5 years...

Just be sure to keep 'Built This City' away from the ears of your impressionable one-year old. That song has tainted the brains of so many.

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Just be sure to keep 'Built This City' away from the ears of your impressionable one-year old. That song has tainted the brains of so many.

Just look at what it's done to Swish!!! :yikes:

Mr MidFi
09-27-2010, 06:43 AM
What is everybody doing? Watching college football? I certainly am, but I don't really have much to post about in regard to music. I am looking forward to seeing Jason and the Scorchers Thursday night, but other than that, not much on the horizon. Work has been really busy, which is good news for Swishdaddy.

So what the heck is everyone doing?

Hey, I didn't just watch a game... I went to one. And we won! Northwestern is now 4-0... how 'bout them Cats?

rakeford
09-27-2010, 08:13 AM
I went camping and mountian biking in Douthat State Park, VA- totaly awesome.

On the way down, we listened to my cassette tape I made from the SACD of Dire Straights- Brothers In Arms, what a great way to to make tapes! :3: Its sounds excellent in the OEM cassette deck in my 4Runner. The road noise sucks though.

We also listened to my 25 to 50 cent prerecorded cassettes that I picked up at the thrifts- they also sound good.

And, I just bought a Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata Stylus for my 681EEE, but I aready posted that.

audiobill
09-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Just got back from a weekend in Montreal. Reality of workweek has just set in. Looking forward, however, to Nuit Blanche in TO. It's this upcoming Saturday night when the city opens late and stays open, until the sun comes up on Sunday.

Swish
09-28-2010, 02:54 PM

I just pre-ordered it on DeepDiscount for about $12.5 + free shipping. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Troy
09-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I was driving around in the desert, listening to Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree and taking pictures.

Swish
09-29-2010, 04:52 AM
I was driving around in the desert, listening to Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree and taking pictures.

Are was it the peyote buttons?

Finch Platte
09-29-2010, 07:06 AM

Cool- I'm a mountain biker, too.

What kind of a bike do you ride? Got pics?

You ever been here? (http://www.mtbr.com/) Or here? (http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)

Troy
09-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Are was it the peyote buttons?

No, are was the edibles from the pot club.

dean_martin
09-29-2010, 10:10 AM

On the way down, we listened to my cassette tape I made from the SACD of Dire Straights- Brothers In Arms, what a great way to to make tapes! :3: Its sounds excellent in the OEM cassette deck in my 4Runner. The road noise sucks though.

We also listened to my 25 to 50 cent prerecorded cassettes that I picked up at the thrifts- they also sound good.

And, I just bought a Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata Stylus for my 681EEE, but I aready posted that.

I'm still listening to cassettes I made for vehicle use many years ago. I have a vintage receiver, crappy speakers and tape deck set up in my storage building. Last night while messing around with the weights and weight bench I listened to REM's New Adventures in Hi-Fi that I recorded from vinyl. Not only did I get the tape hiss (which I don't mind because I've never liked dolby nr b, c or any other letter), but I also got a few pops and clicks. Made working out not so horrible. I'm getting to the age where it's too easy for my body to rebel against me if I don't do a little something so that's what I've started doing this week - a LITTLE exercise. I hope I can make it a routine.

3LB
09-29-2010, 01:34 PM
...a little exercise

know whatcha mean. I started having joint problems and whatnot. Doctor told me I was fat. I said, "Doc, I want a second opinion" so he said, "well...ok, yer ugly too".

Been doing some cycling myself, but just the good ol'fashioned pedal kind, not the two-wheel sledding stuff. I've biked to work a few times (24 miles round trip) but nothing major.

rakeford
09-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Cool- I'm a mountain biker, too.

What kind of a bike do you ride? Got pics?

You ever been here? (http://www.mtbr.com/) Or here? (http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
Tuner Sultan 29er, see pic here.
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=344596&d=1205981612

My handle is BottomBraket on mtbr.com.

rakeford
09-29-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm still listening to cassettes I made for vehicle use many years ago. I have a vintage receiver, crappy speakers and tape deck set up in my storage building. Last night while messing around with the weights and weight bench I listened to REM's New Adventures in Hi-Fi that I recorded from vinyl. Not only did I get the tape hiss (which I don't mind because I've never liked dolby nr b, c or any other letter), but I also got a few pops and clicks. Made working out not so horrible. I'm getting to the age where it's too easy for my body to rebel against me if I don't do a little something so that's what I've started doing this week - a LITTLE exercise. I hope I can make it a routine.
R.E.M.- Automatic For The People is one my 25 to 50 cent pre-recorded thrift cassettes I got last summer. I haven't listened to it enough to tell if I like it yet. I'll put it in the cue.

Most of my vinyl to cassette tapes are about 30 years old. They still sound great even though they've been bouncing arround in my 4Runner for 12 years. I'm getting tired of them though. That's why I'm on a bend to buy pre-recorded cassettes and make new vinyl and/or CD to cassettes tapes.

SACD to cassette really sounds great. I taped my CCR-Willy and the poor boys (on SACD) yesterday. Next in line is Steely Dan-Gaucho on DVD-Audio.

I use Dolby B because that's what my 4Runner handles and I hate tape hiss. Sometimes, I judge CD playback by how well I can hear the tape hiss of the original master tapes.

Swish
10-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Tuner Sultan 29er, see pic here.
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=344596&d=1205981612

My handle is BottomBraket on mtbr.com.

Next he'll be asking you if you ever tried soap-on-a-rope.

hifitommy
10-02-2010, 10:41 AM
i know what you mean, all the noise reduction schemes have some kind of signature to the sound. dbx II was tried on cassette but not successful there. it was fine on open reel at 7.5 ips or better but still audible.

straight dbx using no more than 1.2 compression was not noticable and i used it for a lot of open reel tapes and it even worked for cassette.

the best of the best though is dolby S. its just not detectable and works on the whole spectrum in (i think) three bands. you can read about it in wiki but it didnt reveal much in my quick read of it.

at first, only quite costly decks included S and put it out of the reach of most of us. then when cassettes were on the decline, sony offered it in some affordable decks as well as aiwa.

it is totally compatible with B so if you accidentally put in a B cassette, it wouldnt quickly reveal itself. i ended up with the 3 head sony for about $300 which may still be available (frys had them).

no noise reduction does less damage to the signal but for critical listening, the hiss on cassette is quite a bit higher than with open reel. i just wonder if outboard S encode/decoders had been available, if maybe i would have had a large inventory of S tapes as archives.

nowadays its so fast, cheap, and relatively good sounding to make cd copies that my cassette deck just collects dust. plus the fact that good cassette blanks were relatively costly, especially if you wanted to go into the metal tapes for maximum quality and long life.

Slosh
10-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Wow. No new threads since Wednesday?I, for one, have changed my threads several times since Wednesday.

hifitommy
10-02-2010, 09:10 PM
oh SLOSH, yer so hip (or is it HEP?). i hope youre having a swingin' time tonite.