Can Onkyo TXNR801 drive Magnepan MMG well? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can Onkyo TXNR801 drive Magnepan MMG well?

dinonykus
04-08-2004, 08:54 AM
HI, guys.

Here is a newbie, looking to buy a receiver and main speakers.
Eventually planning to add center and rear channels.

For the receiver, I found a deal of Onkyo TXNR801 on onecall.com

I wonder if it matches Magnepan MMG well or not.

Any advice and comments. Thanks a lot.

Woochifer
04-08-2004, 10:32 AM
I've heard conflicting info about how demanding the MMGs are. I know from my previous auditions with the larger Magneplanars that they are very demanding speakers and can audibly strain a decent amp even at moderately high volumes. I think the key question is whether the MMGs will present an overly demanding load in a multichannel configuration. If you were talking about the MG1.6 or the MG3.6, I would probably advise you go with those speakers only if you add an outboard amp to drive at least the front three channels.

Since the MMGs are mail order only, I can't tell you one way or another whether or not they would work. With two MMGs, I would expect that the 801 can handle that load, but with five of them, their low impedance might shut the receiver down frequently. In general, multichannel receivers can handle multiple 8 ohm speakers just fine, but low impedance 4 ohm speakers like the Maggies are where things can get a bit dicey.

Mr Peabody
04-08-2004, 06:49 PM
I don't know how the two would match synergy wise but I have no doubt the Onkyo could drive them. Onkyo would be one of the few mass market brands that could. Those who don't know amps debate that "high current" is a buss word but the fact is it's a very good amp design and Onkyo receivers use this in their receivers amp section. Any solid state high end amp you can mention are all high current, like Bryston, Krell, or Levinson. Of course Onkyo isn't in that league but as far as receivers go they have drivability.

I don't know how familiar you are with Maggies but I personally wouldn't want them for a HT set up. Our Levinson dealer carried Maggies so I have heard them on good equipment, I find they are alright at moderate volumes but will bottom out or slap when turning them up. I notice most people with HT tend to listen at a farely high volume. Have you thought about a more dynamic speaker? On the other hand I got the impression they encouraged the use of a subwoofer with Maggies which my help eliminate the problem.