Huge Monster [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Huge Monster

dakatabg
09-24-2010, 09:09 AM
I had the chance and I didn't miss it. I got a very big and heavy monster receiver - Pioneer SX-1050. WOW 120W per channel. This receiver is even bigger and heavier than my Sansui 9090DB. Guess what, I got it for $40. It has some nicks and dents here and there but nothing big. All lights are working and functions too! Believe me, it is very powerful, I can't even go more than 1/4 on the volume. I had to change the volume knob ( $11 on ebay ) and now it is working like new. The power supply is a big cylinder and the capacitors are huge. I can tell goodbye on the SX-650 I have.

http://i54.tinypic.com/103v8td.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2cndy7k.jpg

JoeE SP9
09-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Yo Dak! I've noticed from your pictures that every one of the receivers you show has the bass and treble controls turned all the way up. Is that the way you normally listen?

dakatabg
09-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Yo Dak! I've noticed from your pictures that every one of the receivers you show has the bass and treble controls turned all the way up. Is that the way you normally listen?

Not all the time I listen it like that. I adjust them the way I like depending on the music I am listening to! Right now I am listening to it and everything is on half position!

dakatabg
09-24-2010, 08:37 PM
How do you guys clean the analog tuner on those analog receivers? I cleaned it good but I see around the tuner inside, there is some dirt and it is possible inside to have it too. Do you just spray it with contact cleaner or there is a special way?

thekid
09-25-2010, 03:43 AM
How do you guys clean the analog tuner on those analog receivers? I cleaned it good but I see around the tuner inside, there is some dirt and it is possible inside to have it too. Do you just spray it with contact cleaner or there is a special way?

First of congrats on a great pick-up. You are now in the upper levels of the SX series. Many fans of that series say that the really are a different piece once you get to the 750 and higher. I know what you mean regarding their power as I don't have to take my 850 above 2 to be blasting the whole house.

DO NOT START SPRAYING CONTACT CLEANER AROUND THE TUNER SECTION!
If you get any contact cleaner or Deoxit on the tuner fins you will ruin them. Don't ask me what it is that they are made of or coated with I just know that it is bad and will ruin your ability to get radio reception. I would check some sites for more detailed info but in the meantime here are some steps that a member on AK suggested;

How to clean a tuner (analog)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Vacuum out all the dust you can from the interior. Don't touch the fins on the tuning cap!

2. Blow the dust out of the fins with compressed air. Don't touch the fins.

3. If you examine the tuner cap, you will see brass contacts at each point where the shaft passes through the metal housing. (Including where it passes through the internal walls.) These make the ground contact and they get dirty. Buy some NON - RESIDUE contact cleaner, and inject it into all these brass contacts, then work the tuner back and forth across the dial at least 20 - 30 times.
4. Then apply just a drop of CAIG MCL to each contact. It is better to use a syringe to apply it, rather than trying to spray a small amount. If you contaminate the fins of the cap or the circuitry, you will detune the circuit. Work the tuner back and forth 20 - 30 times again.
This procedure will cure all kinds of woes; noise when you turn the dial, certain stations not being received sometimes, when other times they come in clearly, etc.

dakatabg
09-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Thank you thekid, I will just leave it like that because I don't want to ruin the receiver, maybe on a cheaper receiver I might try it but not and on the SX-1050. It catches the stations super good so I won't clean it ( I hope it won't be dirty inside ).

Now I have the Pioneer at the bottom and the Sansui at the top.

blackraven
09-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Very nice piece of vintage equipment. I really need to start hitting the local pawn and thrift stores. I would love to have a nice vintage Pioneer, Sansui or Marantz receiver. Those 1970s receivers were made like tanks and sound sweet. I have an old 1976 Technics integrated amp but its a little under powered at 50wpc for my MMG's that I use in a secondary system.

My first pice of gear was a 1976 Pioneer 15wpc receiver that played much louder than its rating.

Congrats on the find!

dakatabg
09-25-2010, 02:30 PM
I found this one on craigslist and I was lucky because the seller just wrote "old stere receiver" without mentioning the brand, model and no picture too! It is good I asked. He wanted $50 and I offered $40 so I grabbed it right away! I had to change the volume knob but it was only 11 bucks on ebay. You just have to keep hunting! If the seller mentioned the brand and model it was going to be gone in the second minute.

Charlie04SiR
10-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Very Cool Dak! You did good! Hey your volume knob is incorrect. it is a tone/balance knob. The volume knob is bigger and has set screws. The 950/1250 are the same as well. Either way it sure does look nice.