The Other Shoe Has Dropped [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Other Shoe Has Dropped

pixelthis
09-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Blockbuster is filing chapter 11, closing 2,000 stores..
MAN, my BLU collection is really growing, what with all of these closeout bargains...:1:

ForeverAutumn
09-23-2010, 10:04 AM
The Blockbuster closest to our house closed a few weeks ago. There's another one a little further away but I haven't been by to see if it's still open.

TheHills44060
09-23-2010, 11:29 AM
All the Blockbusters (except for 1 i think) and Hollywood Videos in my area have all closed down. Some of the locations have been replaced my mom & pop video stores but most have not

kevlarus
09-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Blockbuster is filing chapter 11, closing 2,000 stores..
MAN, my BLU collection is really growing, what with all of these closeout bargains...:1:

Make sure you have all the facts. Over the past year, they've been trimming the number of stores, however this is a re-org Chapter 11 :

As part of its recapitalization plan, Blockbuster (BBI, Fortune 500) said it would attempt to reduce its debt load to $100 million or less.

In a release Thursday, the company said it has secured $125 million in financing from senior bondholders to keep its remaining U.S. businesses open during the bankruptcy proceedings.

atomicAdam
09-23-2010, 12:09 PM
oh snap! someone just dropped some fact on Pix....

ForeverAutumn
09-23-2010, 12:13 PM

And I jumped to my own conclusions because of the store near me closing down.

Apparently, Blockbuster Canada is operated separately from the US and is profitable, http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/23092010/2/biz-finance-blockbuster-canada-says-its-unaffected-u-s-company.html

kevlarus
09-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Apparently, Blockbuster Canada is operated separately from the US and is profitable,

At least they were smart enough to keep the companies separate. I can see them doing better in Canada especially during the winter months.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Oh snap we have been dropping facts on Pix for a long time. He is allergic to facts, and have been sneezing them off for quite some time now. His eyes are itchy with facts, and he just wipes them away. His inhaler is loaded with facts, but you can't get him to sniff it up.

ForeverAutumn
09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
At least they were smart enough to keep the companies separate. I can see them doing better in Canada especially during the winter months.
The market here is definately different. We're just now getting Netflicks and other similar services. And they don't do mail order, only streaming. Not everyone is set up to stream
video...I'm not.

pixelthis
09-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Make sure you have all the facts. Over the past year, they've been trimming the number of stores, however this is a re-org Chapter 11 :

As part of its recapitalization plan, Blockbuster (BBI, Fortune 500) said it would attempt to reduce its debt load to $100 million or less.

In a release Thursday, the company said it has secured $125 million in financing from senior bondholders to keep its remaining U.S. businesses open during the bankruptcy proceedings.

the "fact" is that this is rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.
THEY'RE business model is as obsolete as an audiophiles tube amp, they are going down.

CLOSING 2,000 stores, just a prelude, trying to buy time intil they loot the company.:1:

pixelthis
09-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Oh snap we have been dropping facts on Pix for a long time. He is allergic to facts, and have been sneezing them off for quite some time now. His eyes are itchy with facts, and he just wipes them away. His inhaler is loaded with facts, but you can't get him to sniff it up.

AT LEAST I HAVE some "facts" oh clueless one(snap).:1: