Steve Hackett - Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Steve Hackett - Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth

BarryL
09-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Just spinning this new Hackett CD for the first time. It sounds GREAT. Crystal clear sound, great playing, lots of atmosphere and stellar guitar work. And he sings much better than Steve Howe.

I haven't got to the bonus disk from the '09 tour, which contains a bunch of Genesis tracks. I'm sure it rocks.

Mr MidFi
09-22-2010, 06:26 AM
And he sings much better than Steve Howe.

The very definition of "damning with faint praise." :frown2:

MasterCylinder
09-22-2010, 07:24 AM
The very definition of "damning with faint praise." :frown2:

LOL !
He doesn't narrow the field at all.......I've heard farts sound as good.

3LB
09-22-2010, 12:20 PM
And he sings much better than Steve Howe.

Hell, I sing better than Steve Howe

Other than Voyage Of The Acolyte, I have no Hackett albums. Where would one start? The latest one?

Do you have the latest Glass Hammer, Barry?

Mr MidFi
09-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Hell, I bet that Steve Howe, the drug-addled former pitcher for the Dodgers, sings better than Steve Howe.

But the guy can really play some damn guitar. Steve Howe, that is. The guitar player. Oh, never mind.

Javier
09-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Other than Voyage Of The Acolyte, I have no Hackett albums. Where would one start? The latest one?

Do you have the latest Glass Hammer, Barry?
I will say start with the one Barry is recommending, then go for wild orchids, spectral mornings, guitar noir.
If you like classical acoustic guitar then try momentum, bay of kings wich are solo guitar, with orchestral guitar music methamorfeus or midsummer night¨´ dream.
genesis revisited and tokyo live tapes for a bit of nostalgia over genesis and king crimson.
The guy has a lot to offer in his very extensive catalog.
Enjoy

BarryL
09-30-2010, 05:14 AM
I have a few Glass Hammer CDs, but in general I find them too bland. I suppose I like Lex Rex the best of the few I have. The Nearfest Live is okay for a starter. I haven't heard their lastest though.

BarryL
09-30-2010, 05:22 AM

Hackett puts out top quality stuff. His prog work is very much influenced by his classical training. To Watch The Storms from a few years back is a good place to start. It runs from classical guitar to the heavy-metal King Crimson-like Mechanical Bride.

If you like DVDs, then pick up The Tokyo Tapes Live in Japan. This concert is about 14 years old now, but Hackett compiled a true supergroup consisting of himself, John Wetton, Chester Thompson, Ian McDonald, and Julian Colbeck. They play a lot of great Hackett tunes, but also a lot of stuff from Hackett's Genesis years and a few King Crimson tunes.

This is a stellar DVD that every prog fan should own.