THIS IS REAL MUSIC!!!! Saxon Broken Heroes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : THIS IS REAL MUSIC!!!! Saxon Broken Heroes

Robert-The-Rambler
09-20-2010, 07:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgUvFwawCCU&NR=1

What the hell happened to music like this that is intelligent, thought provoking, and displays talent in many aspects of musicianship? I can't believe that these guys never made it huge in America. Then again I have become a cynical, jaded fellow these days. I guess if music isn't "sung" by some pinup girl who needs to show how desperate she is to ride your pogo stick because she really needs to get laid it just aint popular. I guess since your material interests almost no one you need to hang yourself from the rafters while singing and getting sprayed with water to maintain the attention of the audience.

Just turn on the computer and let it play the same friggin beat over and over for you to repeat the same friggin words over and over and over and over again. Where is the beginning, middle, and the end?

I hate music today in almost every way. Long live real musicians and real music!!!!!

God Bless Youtube and keep the dream alive that real music will make it back to the mainstream. Join the Crusade!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJFQLA3XFJA&feature=related

Hyfi
09-21-2010, 03:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgUvFwawCCU&NR=1

What the hell happened to music like this that is intelligent, thought provoking, and displays talent in many aspects of musicianship?

I hate music today in almost every way. Long live real musicians and real music!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJFQLA3XFJA&feature=related

Well, as far as possibly thought provoking, for 30 year ago events I can agree on that only for this band.

They are just a typical 80s hair band with only 3 chords, a 4 note bass line, and an inch batch drum line through the whole 12 sentence song. Repeat the same chorus over and over and over and.......

I detected no great talent in that clip but for the fact that the singer sang instead of scream or growl. There was no virtuoso instrument playing as your post led us to believe. There was only the same ole same ole from the 80s which for the most part did indeed suck like the 90s and the 00s except for 10 to 15% of what was crammed down our throats.

There is some older talent still making the circuit like Stanley Clark who could outplay this whole band with just a single bass.

Sorry, very unimpressed but better than a lot of mainstream crap.

Oh wait, there is a second link.........same inch batch drum line, same 3 chords and lame bass line........but the guy does sing ok.

Robert-The-Rambler
09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Well, as far as possibly thought provoking, for 30 year ago events I can agree on that only for this band.

They are just a typical 80s hair band with only 3 chords, a 4 note bass line, and an inch batch drum line through the whole 12 sentence song. Repeat the same chorus over and over and over and.......

I detected no great talent in that clip but for the fact that the singer sang instead of scream or growl. There was no virtuoso instrument playing as your post led us to believe. There was only the same ole same ole from the 80s which for the most part did indeed suck like the 90s and the 00s except for 10 to 15% of what was crammed down our throats.

There is some older talent still making the circuit like Stanley Clark who could outplay this whole band with just a single bass.

Sorry, very unimpressed but better than a lot of mainstream crap.

Oh wait, there is a second link.........same inch batch drum line, same 3 chords and lame bass line........but the guy does sing ok.

But I'm not going to backpeddle that this is still great sounding music and so superior to mainstream music today that is friggin attrocious and the topics are very interesting much like Iron Maiden greats like Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I don't think music has to be complicated to sound great so I am not an expert on the musical aspects and I won't pretend to be. AC/DC used simple blues based rock and roll all the way to the Hall of Fame. Here is what some would describe as a very 80s sound for them. I love it but some don't. I know that but I still love it. There heavier metal came years earlier. This link is from 86. The song is Waiting For The Night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVxtsAp12v0&feature=related

Isn't the lead singer such a strange voice for a heavy metal band? He actually sings quite well. I was expecting more like Bruce Dickinson when I first heard of Saxon but he sings much more easier on the ears for extended listening. You can't have everything be heavy metal. That just leads to a splitting headache. Also check out Suzie Hold On. That song to me is about a dying friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShPahx9gHGw&feature=related

This is an awesome tune from their 1980 release Strong Arm of the Law. It is called Strong Arm of the Law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGnhF0_rA90&feature=related

Mr Peabody
09-21-2010, 05:34 PM
I dig the Saxon. I even have an LP I picked up in the 80's, I can't remember the name of the album, I do know it has Dallas 1:00pm which is about Kennedy's assassination. Saxon has a newer album that came out either earlier this year or end of last. I down loaded one of the tracks, either the song or album is Into The Labyrinth.

If you dig the Classic Hard Rock check out some UFO or Pat Travers. My Big Hair favs are Dokken and Ratt. You want some new heaviness try Tristania. I have to admit it's not pretty but I like me some Disturbed.

Hyfi, sometimes all you need is 3 chords if you know what to do with them, ZZ Top sure road them a long way :).

Hyfi
09-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Hyfi, sometimes all you need is 3 chords if you know what to do with them, ZZ Top sure road them a long way :).

My main point was that it didn't sound any different than any other 3 chord metal music. Personally I like more complicated music. Many people can't follow more than 3 chords or a complex bass line or drums that play music and not just keep a beat.

I like a couple ZZ top tunes but get bored half way through any single album. I never really liked Ac-DC and maybe more for the screaming than playing.

3LB
09-22-2010, 05:50 AM
What the hell happened to music like this that is intelligent, thought provoking, and displays talent in many aspects of musicianship? hhmmm... I clicked on the link and a Saxon video came on... not sure how that happened

;)

They come across to me like a less ambitious, less talented, less cerebral Dream Theater. Decent enough late '70s/early '80s style rock though, nothing wrong there, but they have a front man that tended to over-sing even the simplest of songs. I'd rather hear Thin Lizzy or April Wine.

Robert-The-Rambler
09-22-2010, 02:15 PM
My main point was that it didn't sound any different than any other 3 chord metal music. Personally I like more complicated music. Many people can't follow more than 3 chords or a complex bass line or drums that play music and not just keep a beat.

I like a couple ZZ top tunes but get bored half way through any single album. I never really liked Ac-DC and maybe more for the screaming than playing.

After the death of Bon Scott they pretty much had a core of guitarists and managers that far exceeded the vocal talent of Brian Johnson. The brains/lyrics and the voice died with Bon Scott but Brian certainly seemed to be trying his best but the scream gets old after a while. I still enjoyed the music even with Brian as his voice deteriorated over time but for all the good songs they did especially in the 80s the whole production after For Those About to Rock became a real stinker.

Robert-The-Rambler
09-22-2010, 02:18 PM
hhmmm... I clicked on the link and a Saxon video came on... not sure how that happened

;)

They come across to me like a less ambitious, less talented, less cerebral Dream Theater. Decent enough late '70s/early '80s style rock though, nothing wrong there, but they have a front man that tended to over-sing even the simplest of songs. I'd rather hear Thin Lizzy or April Wine.

I'm not saying Saxon is the greatest band ever or anything but man I really miss even mediocre/ good enough real simple heartfelt music compared to absolute putrid dung that is released and bought by braindead kids of today. I'm only 30 and I sound old. LOL

Mr Peabody
09-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah, April Wine, I have a bunch of their stuff. I like Triumph as well but mostly the first four or so albums.

Hyfi, we've traded, I know what you like. I like the other stuff as well.

Robert-The-Rambler
09-22-2010, 04:39 PM
hhmmm... I clicked on the link and a Saxon video came on... not sure how that happened

;)

If you happen to catch the pictures of my home theater with 8 Behringer EP2500s and a multitude of speakers than you know what I mean. (I've since scaled that back a bit)

We all have our flaws. That being said I recently ordered 10 Saxon Albums on Amazon.com. The price was reasonable from a Amazon Marketplace vendor. They really seem to care about the fans and the new releases have the albums plus pretty much the whole album live as well. I think that is really cool. Not only is the music available today but remastered and full of goodies. You have to respect that.

Robert-The-Rambler
09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I dig the Saxon. I even have an LP I picked up in the 80's, I can't remember the name of the album, I do know it has Dallas 1:00pm which is about Kennedy's assassination. Saxon has a newer album that came out either earlier this year or end of last. I down loaded one of the tracks, either the song or album is Into The Labyrinth.

If you dig the Classic Hard Rock check out some UFO or Pat Travers. My Big Hair favs are Dokken and Ratt. You want some new heaviness try Tristania. I have to admit it's not pretty but I like me some Disturbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_SU5v2azy8&feature=related

It is from the album is Strong Arm of the Law.

The album you speak of is Into The Labyrinth released in 2008.

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Labyrinth-Saxon/dp/B001HY3BFE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1285202795&sr=1-5

Mr Peabody
09-22-2010, 05:10 PM
That's it, did you order Strong Arm Of The Law? It's a good album by them. The song Crusader is sort of their signature song. Not on the Strong Arm album though.

Robert-The-Rambler
09-22-2010, 05:25 PM
That's it, did you order Strong Arm Of The Law? It's a good album by them. The song Crusader is sort of their signature song. Not on the Strong Arm album though.

I got everything from 1979 to 1988 and Unleash The Beast from 1997 so far. It makes very good driving music. I just got to keep it under control. LOL

Saxon
Unleash The Beast
Strong Arm of the Law
Crusader
Wheels of Steel
Power & The Glory
Denim & Leather
Destiny
Rock the Nations
Innocence Is No Excuse

I just had to add Sold Ball of Rock. Here is the highlight from the album. It is a tribute to fallen musical heroes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6SkE6xqpM&feature=related

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2010, 06:22 AM

I don't think that these guys are even in the same league as DT. This is just simple glam/hair metal. From the three links that I clicked on, I'd throw them in with bands like Cinderalla, Ratt, Poison.

I actually really like "over" singing. I love a good dramatic, melodic classical sounding singer in a metal band. That's why I love bands like Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation. The vocals on POS's Entropia just totally rock my metal world.

But I have to say that the couple of Saxon links that I clicked on here bored me. Not that they sounded bad. For this genre of music, they're decent enough. I just found the song writing lacking anything of interest for me. As I said, their sound isn't bad for the genre, I just think that there are so many who do it much better.

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2010, 06:32 AM
What the hell happened to music like this that is intelligent, thought provoking, and displays talent in many aspects of musicianship? I can't believe that these guys never made it huge in America. Then again I have become a cynical, jaded fellow these days.

I think that your problem is that you're looking for music like this in the mainstream. There are lots of current great metal bands around. But you won't hear them on the radio. Radio is so done with metal.

If you're looking for metal music that is "intelligent, thought provoking, and displays talent...", try bands like:

Dream Theater
Queensryche
Fates Warning
Riverside
Symphony X
Threshold
Pain of Salvation

Just to name a few.

These are bands that can write and perform great material. They can deliver all of the attributes that you mentioned are important to you and can do it far better than Saxon. This is my own opinion of course.

Stone
09-27-2010, 06:46 AM
But I'm not going to backpeddle that this is still great sounding music and so superior to mainstream music today

I think statement shows the problem: why are you worried about the mainstream? The vast majority of contemporary music discussed on this board and enjoyed by posters here is out of the mainstream.

Edit: I guess I should have read the entire thread before posting. FA covered it. There are tons of metal bands out there. Hair metal isn't my thing, but in addition to the ones FA mentioned, try High On Fire or The Sword.

3LB
09-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Ayreon
Mastadon
Iced Earth
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

all members of Mensa compared to Saxon

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Ayreon
Mastadon
Iced Earth
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

all members of Mensa compared to Saxon

Nice list. :yesnod:

Robert-The-Rambler
09-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't think that these guys are even in the same league as DT. This is just simple glam/hair metal. From the three links that I clicked on, I'd throw them in with bands like Cinderalla, Ratt, Poison.

I actually really like "over" singing. I love a good dramatic, melodic classical sounding singer in a metal band. That's why I love bands like Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation. The vocals on POS's Entropia just totally rock my metal world.

But I have to say that the couple of Saxon links that I clicked on here bored me. Not that they sounded bad. For this genre of music, they're decent enough. I just found the song writing lacking anything of interest for me. As I said, their sound isn't bad for the genre, I just think that there are so many who do it much better.

They did try to be a hair band and that is a move that proved to be a poor decision. These guys are a hard rocking band a lot like Iron Maiden and they tried to go soft and it cost them. They are a band with about 20 studio albums and while I can tell they just don't have a Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, or Nicko Mcbrain the subject matter that they take on is far more complex and ballsy than the average 80s hair band. While the sound might not be all that different not every song was about sex and women or partying. These guys are not Poison or Ratt for sure. For a time they might have seemed to be going down that road but this is music for biker dudes and I can't see some Hell's Angel rocking out to Ratt, Poison, or even Cinderella. Naturally I like them all but lets not sell Saxon short. They are a NWOBHM band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwKRyizwEKo

Robert-The-Rambler
09-27-2010, 06:11 PM
I think statement shows the problem: why are you worried about the mainstream? The vast majority of contemporary music discussed on this board and enjoyed by posters here is out of the mainstream.

Edit: I guess I should have read the entire thread before posting. FA covered it. There are tons of metal bands out there. Hair metal isn't my thing, but in addition to the ones FA mentioned, try High On Fire or The Sword.

Because I think talented people who can actually perform live showing they are for real should be the ones getting the big payday. Its like its okay for you to lip sync if you are willing to admit it. Excuses like I can't sing and dance at the same time piss me off. If you can't sing and dance at the same time then maybe you should pick one or the other and get off the stage. If you want to be a dancer then don't even bother trying to be a singer if you can't do both live on stage in front of real people. I can't stand people getting money for nothing. Some performers live their entire life like they are in a music video dancing their way to the bank. (I love that Dire Straits song and how true that song is today)

I know that there are true live performers out there but a lot of them are older acts like Bruce Springsteen. What young rock bands who are in there 20s can actually write their own songs and perform in front of a live audience without cheating and not sound like crap?