Playing CDs Thru Blu-ray Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Playing CDs Thru Blu-ray Player

Mingus
09-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I've been playing CDs thru the blu-ray player and was wondering if adding a DAC would improve the sound. Or would I be better off getting a CD player.

I heard many people using a DAC in conjunction with a CD player but not many with a blu-ray player.

Mr Peabody
09-20-2010, 04:04 PM
When listening to CD do you use the digital or analog output from the Blu-ray player? This makes a difference where the signal is decoded. If digital out the decoding is done in the receiver. Analog would require two hook ups, red/white (L/R) for analog use and a digital out so you can get 5.1or better surround. You should first compare the two if you haven't to see if you can gain any improvement.

To answer the DAC question, one would improve your sound quality as long as it was better than what was in the BDP or receiver.

Mingus
09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
For my setup, from the blu-ray player I ran a hdmi cable to the tv and digital cable to the receiver.

blackraven
09-20-2010, 05:17 PM
A good DAC will improve the sound.

Mr Peabody
09-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Is your receiver not HDMI? First I'd try running a digital connection from the Blu-ray player direct to receiver to see if you notice any difference. Probably not but maybe. Then I'd try running an analog L/R connection from Blu-ray to an analog input of the receiver. Depending on brand and quality of player you may have some improvement with this.

Before spending money on a DAC be sure the BDP will allow you to use two digital outs. Obviously you wouldn't use them at the same time for any reason but some players may be limited to one digital out or the other.

harley .guy07
09-22-2010, 02:28 PM
I have a Oppo blue ray player that works very well as a multi function player and several publications have said as I think that it is a very good transport as well as a excellent blue ray player and can play several formats. I run it through a ps audio dac and it does very well, very smooth with killer detail and natural presentation.

Mingus
09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks for advice. I am going to the alter the connections and see if there is a difference.