Another Squeezebox Convert [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another Squeezebox Convert

E-Stat
09-20-2010, 02:46 PM
I started some time ago ripping CDs to WAV format so that I could easily create CDRs for the cars and the changer. And I played the files directly through the i7-860/Win7 computer in the office which is connected to the multi-room in house system. Nothing fancy. I wired directly from the sound card to a lowly Kenwood receiver left by the previous home owner. I enjoyed all the abilities of having a computer centric system there and decided that would be nice in the garage, too. Last week, I replaced a Pioneer Elite 301 disc changer there with a new SB Touch. I use it as a WI-FI transport connected to the same Manley DAC using the office server. Aside from the fact that it sounds a tad better, it has certainly increased listening options. The lack of tagging with the WAV format wasn't an issue for me, but now I find the lack of said complicates the indexing question with the Touch. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and re-rip the library in FLAC for long term flexibility and ability to to store higher resolution formats as well.

While juke box changers allow for having access to lots of music, they do not lend themselves to totally random or file list playing which I had been enjoying with the in house system. I find that I am now rediscovering a lot of stuff I've had that previously didn't get much airplay. The next step will be to compare the Touch/Manley vs. the GamuT player I use in the main system.

rwhttp://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/touch.jpg

Ajani
09-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Nice setup... I look forward to reading your Touch/Manley vs. the GamuT review...

Music servers are ridiculously addictive...

poppachubby
09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Well done. I agree with you, comp servers are great for endless shuffling. If you enjoy this, I have found that Winamp and Media Monkey have the best shuffle abilities.

I have been ripping LPs and am not finding a need for CDs in my system. I will be getting a SB as well, and am looking forward to it.

Have you done any LP ripping Ralph?

Mr Peabody
09-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Ralph, not you too?! Just kidding.

Is it the Squeeze or Sling that has the internet radio feature? A friend has one and showed me the radio feature but I'm not sure if he has ripped any other music. The music server seems like a lot of work up front but once done the convenience would be nice.

poppachubby
09-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I think the newer SB's have the radio streaming feature. Personally I'm not interested in that, but if the price is right I would consider it.

Peabody do you have any file capability? Sound card, etc? I would be interested in your opinion of a good LP rip vs. a factory disc.

My best rip to date is Friday night in San Fran. Do you have this on CD?

Mr Peabody
09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I do not have that CD. AR member mslstl would be the guy to talk to about ripped LP's to disc. He gave me a copy of an Eric Clapton but I don't have the LP to compare it to. It would also be interesting to see how much difference grades of cartridges make in the sound quality of transfers.

I don't know if I'd use internet radio as a main listening source but as background or company it would be a great way to learn about new music and bands, noncommercial, music from around the world, etc.

Ajani
09-20-2010, 04:47 PM
All Squeezebox models have internet radio... Though I don't use it often, many persons claim it's the best use of the Squeezebox... So you might find yourself hooked...

I wouldn't recommend it as your primary music source, but it certainly is a nice feature to have...

poppachubby
09-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I do not have that CD. AR member mslstl would be the guy to talk to about ripped LP's to disc. He gave me a copy of an Eric Clapton but I don't have the LP to compare it to. It would also be interesting to see how much difference grades of cartridges make in the sound quality of transfers.

I don't know if I'd use internet radio as a main listening source but as background or company it would be a great way to learn about new music and bands, noncommercial, music from around the world, etc.

Actually Peabody I am getting top results with an AT 90CD. This is about as entry as it gets. 02audionoob is a big shiny ripping god. Following his lead, I am using "lesser" gear. He did a rip which is the gold standard, it was Adams Apple by Wayne Shorter. He did a bunch more after the fact, with better gear and we both found that it didn't impress. He uses a nice Technics linear.

This is a Technics SLQ2, Creek OBH18 and AT 90CD, I have posted it in another thread but you have to understand how proud I am of it, and how much work it took to arrive at this level...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2930675/Friday%20Night%20in%20San%20Fransisco%20-%20DiMeola%2C%20McLaughlin%20and%20DeLucia.rar

poppachubby
09-20-2010, 04:59 PM
All Squeezebox models have internet radio... Though I don't use it often, many persons claim it's the best use of the Squeezebox... So you might find yourself hooked...

I wouldn't recommend it as your primary music source, but it certainly is a nice feature to have...

I am realistically a while away from making this purchase. I have some mods and equipment refurbs to do first. After that it will be a pursuit of all things digital. At that time i hope to pick your brain for your experience in this field.

Mr Peabody
09-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Creek makes a sweet little phono stage.

E-Stat
09-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Have you done any LP ripping Ralph?
Only a bit. An older couple at church said they had some old records but no longer had a way to play them. They knew I was an audio guy and asked if I knew a way to convert them to CD. He was the music director for years at the university where my wife teaches. At the time, I was using my older desktop computer which was difficult to move upstairs where the main system lives. Instead, I took the Ariston / Bellari from the garage into the office and ripped those records. I did a couple of mine at the time just for grins. Later, I got a new laptop for work and thought that would make it easier to take to the VPI / SP-9. Unfortunately, the line input was also for mic use and was mono only. After getting a new desktop, I moved the older one upstairs in an adjoining bedroom so moving it to the listening room wouldn't be difficult. One of these days, I'll do that and go crazy. It has a pretty decent Santa Cruz sound card.

rw

02audionoob
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I enjoy playing my Rhapsody subscription though a Logitech Wireless DJ to the Marantz 2325...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4646263934_7c4366557c_z.jpg

It doesn't have a network connection or digital out, though. It's getting a wireless signal from a single PC and converting it to analog. It's amazing how much there is on Rhapsody...and you can play whatever, whenever.

recoveryone
09-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I have 3 of the SB Classic models (Family room, Bedroom and Coverted daughters room/Study media room) love the flexibility and LastFM is awesome internet radio source. Best music investment since the CD came out.

Feanor
09-21-2010, 03:40 AM
I started some time ago ripping CDs to WAV format so that I could easily create CDRs for the cars and the changer. And I played the files directly through the i7-860/Win7 computer in the office which is connected to the multi-room in house system. Nothing fancy. I wired directly from the sound card to a lowly Kenwood receiver left by the previous home owner. I enjoyed all the abilities of having a computer centric system there and decided that would be nice in the garage, too. Last week, I replaced a Pioneer Elite 301 disc changer there with a new SB Touch. I use it as a WI-FI transport connected to the same Manley DAC using the office server. Aside from the fact that it sounds a tad better, it has certainly increased listening options. The lack of tagging with the WAV format wasn't an issue for me, but now I find the lack of said complicates the indexing question with the Touch. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and re-rip the library in FLAC for long term flexibility and ability to to store higher resolution formats as well.

While juke box changers allow for having access to lots of music, they do not lend themselves to totally random or file list playing which I had been enjoying with the in house system. I find that I am now rediscovering a lot of stuff I've had that previously didn't get much airplay. The next step will be to compare the Touch/Manley vs. the GamuT player I use in the main system.

rw
Sound good, Ralph.

My main misgiving about the Squeezebox is the Squeeze Center (or whatever it's called these days). I'm reluctant to replace my Foobar2000 interface and management with the former; Foobar's customizable sorting & listing is the best and most flexible I've seen. My Foobar runs on a dedicated computer next to my stereo system listening position. (J.River Jukebox or Media Monkey are good though bloated alternatives for those averse to Foobar's text-based configuration.)

I rip everything to FLAC files For my needs as a classical listener, tagless files are basically useless. I believe Foobar2000, will maintain its own database for WAV, but that isn't accessible to other players, nor have I found no way to make it accessible to multiple computers. Also I'm not sure whether it will create tags for MP3 files conversions for my iPod. If I wanted WAV files or CD burns, dBpoweramp converter can create them bit-perfectly.

Personally I haven't heard any difference between FLAC and WAV on playback admittedly I'm rather deaf. I like to remind people that FLAC decoding is a very trivial task for any CPU made in the last decade or so.

Once again, see my Foobar interface; the upper left panel enables me to search in as many sort sequence and view as much inforation as I want with a reasonable amount of setup.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/Foobar_example700.jpg

poppachubby
09-21-2010, 04:25 AM
So Feanor, you are saying that the SB can only be managed via it's own software? Bah!!! I am already miffed that to use my gifted Ipod Shuffle, I must bow down to Itunes. My older player is not out of the running yet, as it's features are excellent including drag and drop file addition.

I use Media Monkey which I absolutely love. It should be known that Media Monkey will burn FLAC to CD, for anyone converting to MP3 for Nero.

Is Sonos pretty much the same deal?

E-Stat
09-21-2010, 05:24 AM
My main misgiving about the Squeezebox is the Squeeze Center...
Well, I have little point of comparison having only used Win Media Center before. The web interface does allow for remote control of the unit and provides a fair amount of info. There are multiple sorting options, but you cannot organize the panels.

http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/server.jpg

For my needs as a classical listener, tagless files are basically useless.
Since my WAV titles include artist, album and cut one can search on any of those fields and I was pleasantly surprised that it organized the content by artist - even without tags. Since I previously ripped some albums to MP3 (as shown above) , I can see the difference in flexibility.

rw