How to make our obsession pay us back?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to make our obsession pay us back??

manlystanley
09-18-2010, 02:47 AM
SO, I've been thinking about all the skills that I've learned from you guys, and I thinking that we could all make a couple bucks by using what we have learned. So, I wanted to start a thread about brainstorming ideas.

So, my take on possible business opportunities:

1.) Build custom room conditioning. I've learned a a lot about building bass traps / acoustical conditioning, and I'm still shocked about how much they cost. For instance, my room panels cost $55 each to build. This includes: wood, insulation, fabric, etc. Here is a guy selling something like mine for $359. http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-SFLATBUR-SonoFlat-16-2x2x2-Burgundy/dp/B00114L3DW/ref=sr_1_22?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1284805799&sr=1-22

----It comes with free shipping. So, say: $55 in parts, $75 in shipping costs, Amazon's 20% and my profit would still be at least $150 per panel.

2.) Build and sell tube based pre-amps. I was thinking that I could build a Akidio preamp (with remote control for): $500. So, if I'd sell them for $750, then I'd have $250 profit.

3.) Being a 'consultant'. I have multiple contractor friends who are either living hand to mouth or leaving the business. The 'problem' is that new immigrants are drastically lowering what people are willing to pay to remodel there home. Now if your a home owner, this is not a problem but an opportunity! But, I digress. I've trying to convince my contractor friends to advertise putting in home theaters. I would provide the audio/video consulting and they do the rest. So far, it's a no go.

So, what do you guys think of these ways that we could make a few bucks and what other ways do you think would work??

Best Regards,
Stan

Feanor
09-18-2010, 05:22 AM
SO, I've been thinking about all the skills that I've learned from you guys, and I thinking that we could all make a couple bucks by using what we have learned. So, I wanted to start a thread about brainstorming ideas.

1.) Build custom room conditioning. I've learned a a lot about building bass traps / acoustical conditioning, and I'm still shocked about how much they cost. For instance, my room panels cost $55 each to build. This includes: wood, insulation, fabric, etc. Here is a guy selling something like mine for $359. http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-SFLATBUR-SonoFlat-16-2x2x2-Burgundy/dp/B00114L3DW/ref=sr_1_22?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1284805799&sr=1-22

----It comes with free shipping. So, say: $55 in parts, $75 in shipping costs, Amazon's 20% and my profit would still be at least $150 per panel.

2.) Build and sell tube based pre-amps. I was thinking that I could build a Akidio preamp (with remote control for): $500. So, if I'd sell them for $750, then I'd have $250 profit.

3.) Being a 'consultant'. I have multiple contractor friends who are either living hand to mouth or leaving the business. The 'problem' is that new immigrants are drastically lowering what people are willing to pay to remodel there home. Now if your a home owner, this is not a problem but an opportunity! But, I digress. I've trying to convince my contractor friends to advertise putting in home theaters. I would provide the audio/video consulting and they do the rest. So far, it's a no go.

So, what do you guys think of these ways that we could make a few bucks and what other ways do you think would work??

Best Regards,
Stan
Some people make a decent living doing this sort of thing. Like selling anything, the marketing is critical: starting with Amazon sounds like a reasonable idea, and, of course, there's always eBAY and Audiogon whose "take" would be less. The other trick is to get past retailers to OEM suppliers who will sell you, say, 10 or more copies of whatever component for a lower price.

Lots of examples, but one that comes to mind is Bob Latino and his Dynaco mods, see HERE (http://bob01605.50webs.com/). I'd love to build one of his ST-120 tube power amps. He sells them as kits, with or without tubes, and also assembled. (I image he could hire high school or tech school kids for $10/hr. to assemble them in his basement.)

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/VTA120top.JPG

pixelthis
09-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Best Regards,
Stan

anybody could build a SET amp, but you would be surprized at what you have to go through to be in business these days.
I MAKE A FEW BUCKS "consulting" with various friends, relatives, thank god for the American school system, most people are either too lazy or dumb to read instructions.
WHEN I was younger the debate was, build from a kit or get the parts, and "roll your own"? Nowadays you talk about a kit, people look at you like you're a mad scientist..
Of course most of these people are running a HTIB through channel three.:1: