Sun Kil Moon.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sun Kil Moon....

audiobill
11-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Just ran across a great 2003 album the other day that I must rant and rave about:

Sun Kil Moon's "Ghosts of the Great Highway".

If you enjoy Neil Young, the Red House Painters, and CSNY when they were great, then you will definitely enjoy Sun Kil Moon's offering.

In fact, the brainchild behind Sun Kil Moon is none other than Mark Kozelek aka Red House Painter fame.

Sound songcrafting engages the listener throughout and the falsetto warbling a la Neil, as well as the alt.country brightness of a
CSNY is pure bliss -- to these ears, at least.

Highly recommended............run -- don't walk.

Cheers,

audiobill

tentoze
11-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Just ran across a great 2003 album the other day that I must rant and rave about :

audiobill

Went to buy it on Saturday, and my favorite store didn't have the dang thing! :mad:

Thanks for the rec, Bill. I haven't heard any of it yet, but the reviews I've read made me want it immediately. Hopefully next weekend.

et

Davey
04-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Yea, new one is really nice too. Great recording, mostly done at Hyde Street in San Francisco by Aaron Prellwitz and mastered by John Golden, just like Ghosts. And sounds about the same, maybe a bit slower even. Took a few listens, Kozelek fans know about that, never been one to go for the big first impression, but sure is a comfortable fit if you like the style.

Swish
04-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Just ran across a great 2003 album the other day that I must rant and rave about:

If you enjoy Neil Young, the Red House Painters, and CSNY when they were great, then you will definitely enjoy Sun Kil Moon's offering.

In fact, the brainchild behind Sun Kil Moon is none other than Mark Kozelek aka Red House Painter fame.

Sound songcrafting engages the listener throughout and the falsetto warbling a la Neil, as well as the alt.country brightness of a
CSNY is pure bliss -- to these ears, at least.

Highly recommended............run -- don't walk.

Cheers,

audiobill
...recall, it was re-released about a year or so ago. I've heard a little of the new one and will probably buy it as well. I liked RHP quite a lot and will follow Kozalek wherever he goes.

Swish

jonnyhambone
04-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Have only heard a song or two on the radio from the new one....like said, needs a few spins to really digest it but I like what I'm hearin'. Besides RHP's 'Songs from a Blue Guitar', I only have Sun Kil Moon's 'Tiny Cities' - him doing all Modest Mouse covers. don't know what the critical consensus is on this album but I really like it. The vinyl came with an EP of live solo acoustic MM covers too. Great sound and cool tunes to hear done in Mark K's style.

jasn
05-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Mark Kozelek interview on Pop Matters (http://www.popmatters.com/pm/features/article/57378/theres-never-anything-planned-an-interview-with-mark-kozelek/)