!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : !!!

3LB
09-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Yep, that's the band's name. Touted as a funkified rock band, this is pretty much a dance album. That being said, I like it. This band was recommended to me because someone heard me playing Mothership Connection followed by Pure Reason Revolution' latest, Amor Vincit Omni.

If there was ever a rock element to this band, it isn't represented on their latest album, Strange Weather, Isn't It?. Still, I like the organic approach here, which is ambient dance/funk music performed on a variety of traditional instruments, rather than the usual keyboard driven dubfest and kitchen sink sampling of certain '90s acts. Still, I have a hard time thinking anyone tired of this genre will be won over as it isn't entirely fresh, nor do I think fans of dance will pick up on its nuances or care if they do. Maybe I'll look for some earlier work for that 'rock' element. Otherwise, it was only $8.99 so I ain't griping. Not unlike Of Montreal, this sort of music is more entertaining to me on MP3 rotation than in album form.

Rae
09-15-2010, 11:13 AM
These guys have been around for a decade or more. Their earlier, more rock-funk stuff made the rounds here at RR at some point in the early 2000s... I know I put at least one track on a comp or two. They started to experiment with texture more than rhythm on their subsequent releases and I sort of lost track of them after that. The old stuff really did not hold up for me (nor did similar stuff of that era like The Rapture or Radio Four). The last thing that I heard of theirs was a single ca. 2003 or 2004 that was an admittedly pretty great Magnetic Fields cover...

~Rae

Finch Platte
09-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I believe they say it's pronounced 'chk chk chk.'

That said, I found an EP by them in the cutout bin & like it.

Stone
09-15-2010, 12:12 PM
These guys have been around for a decade or more. Their earlier, more rock-funk stuff made the rounds here at RR at some point in the early 2000s... I know I put at least one track on a comp or two. They started to experiment with texture more than rhythm on their subsequent releases and I sort of lost track of them after that. The old stuff really did not hold up for me (nor did similar stuff of that era like The Rapture or Radio Four). The last thing that I heard of theirs was a single ca. 2003 or 2004 that was an admittedly pretty great Magnetic Fields cover...

~Rae

Didn't hold up well for me either. I still have a couple things of theirs, but I sold back a couple CDs too.

I still do like the "Me and Giuliani" single, though.

Swish
09-16-2010, 03:09 AM
I know they're trying to be cute, but it's an immediate turnoff for me, and having heard them on Sirius a few times, I can't say that I like them all that much.

3LB
09-16-2010, 09:41 AM
I know they're trying to be cute, but it's an immediate turnoff for me, and having heard them on Sirius a few times, I can't say that I like them all that much.
yeah, one '!' sure, two '!!' maybe, but not three...no way

Davey
09-16-2010, 09:58 AM
I got the last one (I think it's the last one, maybe 3 years ago), was getting a lot of really good reviews, and they always had big promise, but didn't click click click with me, a little too built to please sounding, and really a terrible mastering, way too loud. Can't listen to it without a negative reaction to that awful, in your face sound. Doesn't fit the music, doesn't fit any real music. So I've barely listened to it, and would never recommend them. Wish some bands and their managers or producers would read and understand comments like this, and maybe show a little artistic integrity.

Oops, that kind of sounds like a fanatical rant, huh? Maybe instead of artistic integrity, I meant to say better judgment :)

Rae
09-20-2010, 07:01 AM
I think it's a totally pretentious name for a band.

Here's a timely article! (http://www.avclub.com/denver/articles/symbolic-interaction-bands-that-dont-need-the-alph,44977/)

~Rae

Stone
09-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Here's a timely article! (http://www.avclub.com/denver/articles/symbolic-interaction-bands-that-dont-need-the-alph,44977/)

~Rae

+/-

fu<a></a>ck the minimum character requirement

Rae
09-20-2010, 04:59 PM
(smog)

~Rae