Zu Audio Omen - High Sensitivity, Massive, Full-Range Driver, Cheap, LOL [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Zu Audio Omen - High Sensitivity, Massive, Full-Range Driver, Cheap, LOL

Ajani
09-14-2010, 08:24 AM
So I started a thread sometime ago about the ZU Soul Superfly (cool name), but since then ZU Audio has released the Omen (a most ominous name)...

http://www.zuaudio.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Omen_4c8c21c746eda.jpg

Retail is $1.5K, but it's being introduced in the US for $1K...

Here are the specs:

Zu Omen Quick Specs
Efficiency: 98 dB 1W/1m
Impedance: 12 Ohm
Height: 36" tall + footers
Footprint: 12" square
Tube and solid-state friendly!
Cabinet: MDF with real maple skin
Manufactured in Ogden, Utah, USA

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen.html

As usual I'll be following the reviews with great interest to see whether the ZU actually reaches the claimed 98db efficiency and more importantly, whether it sounds good...

Good High Efficiency speakers are relatively hard to find at affordable prices, so I'd love to see many more on the market...

Anyway, I'm sold on the looks... big, macho and imposing with some fresh colour choices...

Poultrygeist
09-14-2010, 12:36 PM
I ordered a pair in ghost black today. Never heard a pair of Zu's but since I crave full range drivers I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Zu does offer a 90 day full refund.

I understand they sold 250 pair the first day of this offer and after Friday the price increases by $500. I've never read anything but glowing reviews on any of the Zu speakers. I'll have to curb my excitement as they won't ship until the first of November.

Compared to Druid and Essence, the name Soul Superfly seems out of character but I was told the Omens do sound most similar to them.

Ajani
09-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I ordered a pair in ghost black today. Never heard a pair of Zu's but since I crave full range drivers I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Zu does offer a 90 day full refund.

I understand they sold 250 pair the first day of this offer and after Friday the price increases by $500. I've never read anything but glowing reviews on any of the Zu speakers. I'll have to curb my excitement as they won't ship until the first of November.

Compared to Druid and Essence, the name Soul Superfly seems out of character but I was told the Omens do sound most similar to them.

I can't wait to read your thoughts on the Omens when you get them (shame the shipping date is over a month away though)...

Soul Superfly is funky but as you said; it really doesn't gel with the Druid, Essence and Omen names... but keep in mind that the base version is just called Soul... so that part works..

$1K is a sweet intro price... too bad it's not available to overseas customers...

Poultrygeist
09-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing how my modded 2.5 wpc MiniWatt works with the Omens. In one review they liked it with the Essence. I've got several interesting amps I can throw at the Omens and will give you a full report. Glad that someone other than myself appreciates the magic of full range, crossover-less, high efficiency speakers. Way too many on this forum are running the power race.

Ajani
09-14-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing how my modded 2.5 wpc MiniWatt works with the Omens. In one review they liked it with the Essence. I've got several interesting amps I can throw at the Omens and will give you a full report. Glad that someone other than myself appreciates the magic of full range, crossover-less, high efficiency speakers. Way too many on this forum are running the power race.

LOL... I actually intend to have both a High Efficiency setup and a monster power one eventually... The MiniWatt is right there on my list of amps for the HE setup... Right now my amp is a 300 watt beast (Emotiva XPA-2)...

I'm really interested to hear how you find the MinWatt/ZU combo... that should be a match made in heaven for affordable HE systems!

Mr Peabody
09-14-2010, 05:05 PM
What size is this single driver? Aren't you concerned about the speaker being 12 watts? That will almost defeat the purpose of high efficiency, wouldn't it?

Ajani
09-14-2010, 05:56 PM
What size is this single driver? Aren't you concerned about the speaker being 12 watts? That will almost defeat the purpose of high efficiency, wouldn't it?

The driver is 10 inches...

I don't think the 12 ohm rating would make too much of a difference... The speaker is rated at 98db @ 12 ohms... so let's assume that equals to about 95db at 8 ohms (you generally drop 3db at half the ohms) that's still well above average efficiency (87db at 8 ohms)...

Mr Peabody
09-14-2010, 06:52 PM
You know... tube gear doesn't seem to be as sensitive to impedance as much as solid state either. So 12 ohm may not be so big a deal. Seems odd though in today's market.

Feanor
09-15-2010, 04:05 AM
The driver is 10 inches...

It looks like there are two drivers; what's the small thing under the big thing?

Also a 10" driver would beam ferociously so there's got to be more to it than that.

Poultrygeist
09-15-2010, 05:47 AM
That "small thing" is a composite dome tweeter. Although I haven't read that beaming was a problem with the Zu's, that 10 inch driver, I believe, has a phase plug which would help if that were the case. My 8 inch Tang Bands with phase plugs don't beam at all.

According to my conversation with the guys at Zu even though the Omen is entry level the drivers are pretty much the same as their high dollar speakers ( except the ribbon tweeter model ). The Omen is said to thrive on 2 watts at moderate level in an average sized room. Since I listen to small group jazz at no more than 80bds hopefully this will work for me.

The Zu's use something called greiew or zurg-twist cabinet loading which I know nothing about but hope to read up on.

I'm buying the Omens on intestinal fortitude as there is not one review anywhere out there. In 6 months there will be many but the Omens will cost $500 more.

atomicAdam
09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I contacted Zu to see about getting a pair of Omens or other speakers in for review.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

They do look appear to be interesting and CNET puts them in top 10 under $1000 - which isn't too fair because that is just the sale price under $1000 - so...

Anyways - peak my interest.

Poultrygeist
09-15-2010, 01:08 PM
I see that the Omens made CNET's top 10 list.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20016275-47.html

Ajani
09-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Guys, I wouldn't read too much into the Omens being on CNet's list, since I'm not sure that the author has heard them yet... He seems to be basing the decision on his previous experience with ZU speakers...

Poultrygeist
09-15-2010, 02:13 PM
I doubt anyone's heard them other than the guys at Zu. Shipping for mine was around $90 so if they don't out perform my Tektons and Tang Bands they're going back. I think I can live with a 90 day audition for under $200.

atomicAdam
09-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I doubt anyone's heard them other than the guys at Zu. Shipping for mine was around $90 so if they don't out perform my Tektons and Tang Bands they're going back. I think I can live with a 90 day audition for under $200.

It seems I should be getting pair of Omens in for review. I'll hit up the forums with photos and initial impressions when i do.

Poultrygeist - what Tektrons do you have in? I planning on talking to them as well, but if you have some in and can compare to the Zu i'd love to talk you into doing a full length review I can post on the audioreview blog.

Poultrygeist
09-23-2010, 03:05 AM
atomic,

That's great news.

I have the Tekton 4.5 with the Fostex 126 driver. I'm hoping the 10 inch Omens I ordered will be in a different league compared to my little Tektons. When contacting Eric Alexander at Tekton, I'd ask for a pair of the higher end OB6.5 which at $1200 would be his closest competitor to the Zu Omen. I've read some rave reviews on the OB4.5 which employs two 4.5 Fostex drivers per speaker in a OB/box configuration and the 6.5 looks to be a larger version of this patent pending design.

Eric Alexander at Tekton is one of the nicest, down to earth guys you'll ever meet. When you call Tekton he usually answers the phone.

theaudiohobby
09-23-2010, 04:09 AM
So I started a thread sometime ago about the ZU Soul Superfly (cool name), but since then ZU Audio has released the Omen (a most ominous name)...

Retail is $1.5K, but it's being introduced in the US for $1K...

Here are the specs:

Zu Omen Quick Specs
Efficiency: 98 dB 1W/1m
Impedance: 12 Ohm
Height: 36" tall + footers
Footprint: 12" square
Tube and solid-state friendly!
Cabinet: MDF with real maple skin
Manufactured in Ogden, Utah, USA

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen.html

As usual I'll be following the reviews with great interest to see whether the ZU actually reaches the claimed 98db efficiency and more importantly, whether it sounds good...

Good High Efficiency speakers are relatively hard to find at affordable prices, so I'd love to see many more on the market...

Anyway, I'm sold on the looks... big, macho and imposing with some fresh colour choices...
I am jealous, how do small companies manage to do it, the likes of JBL, Altec and Tannoy with the solitary exception of Klipsch have all these humongous horn-loaded speakers rated at 96dB/1m/1w or lower then comes along Zu with a bass-reflex speaker thats a fraction of the size of the either kingdom Royal and JBL Everest K2 even the JBL S9900 and it's spec'ed at higher sensitivity! :blush2: How do they do it?:confused:

Poultrygeist
09-24-2010, 04:07 AM
The intro price of $999 was supposed to end last week but I see it hasn't changed.

RCduck7
09-28-2010, 01:58 PM
atomic,

That's great news.

I have the Tekton 4.5 with the Fostex 126 driver. I'm hoping the 10 inch Omens I ordered will be in a different league compared to my little Tektons. When contacting Eric Alexander at Tekton, I'd ask for a pair of the higher end OB6.5 which at $1200 would be his closest competitor to the Zu Omen. I've read some rave reviews on the OB4.5 which employs two 4.5 Fostex drivers per speaker in a OB/box configuration and the 6.5 looks to be a larger version of this patent pending design.

Eric Alexander at Tekton is one of the nicest, down to earth guys you'll ever meet. When you call Tekton he usually answers the phone.

So, will you be comparing the Zu Omen you have ordered to the Tekton OB6.5 then?
The absolute sound recommends the S12 subwoofer if you want substantional bass to an OB4.5.
The Zu's will propably have better bass i think but i wonder if the sound presentiaton in other areas will also be better on the Zu's then on the Tekton's... Or maybe it won't be a case of being better but being different.
I'm curious on your findings.

Poultrygeist
09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
I think Eric would recommend the sub with the OB4.5 but don't know about the 6.5. When you place an order he will ask if you plan to use a sub.

Poultrygeist
10-07-2010, 04:41 AM
I doubt anyone would need a sub with the Zu as their 10 inch driver covers over 8 octaves.

The piano has the greatest range of all instruments and it's just under 8 octaves.

audio amateur
10-07-2010, 05:36 AM
The piano has the greatest range of all instruments and it's just under 8 octaves.
I think a pipe organ tops it:)

atomicAdam
10-07-2010, 08:02 AM
i think the modern day computer has the greatest range :smilewinkgrin:

atomicAdam
10-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Also I should be getting a pair of these in in Nov.

Ajani
10-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Adam, it would be really cool if you could get a pair of the new Tekton Lore to compare them to:

http://www.tektondesign.com/lore.html

The Lore also uses a 10 inch full-range driver and supertweeter, is high efficiency and is a similiar size as the Omen... It also costs just $1K...

atomicAdam
10-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Adam, it would be really cool if you could get a pair of the new Tekton Lore to compare them to:

http://www.tektondesign.com/lore.html

The Lore also uses a 10 inch full-range driver and supertweeter, is high efficiency and is a similiar size as the Omen... It also costs just $1K...

yes it would - which is why i sent off an email this morning. i'll let you know how it goes.

Ajani
10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
yes it would - which is why i sent off an email this morning. i'll let you know how it goes.

Excellent! I really hope they send you a sample...

Poultrygeist
10-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Can't wait to see if I made the right choice.

Poultrygeist
10-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Someone on another forum shared an email they received from the Zu CEO . Regarding the Omens he is quoted as follows - "I will not be surprised if reviewers feel it betters the Druids"

Poultrygeist
11-09-2010, 02:44 PM
The Omens arrived today and I'm glad I had help getting the beasts in the house. With a 12 inch square foot print and three feet high they are still very heavy to move around. The ghost black cabinets have faint swirls of smokey charcoal cascading through out the grain for a very interesting and pleasing effect. They won the wife over based on looks alone. She thinks all my speakers sound good so looks are the deciding factor. Incredibly well packed they made the 5 day trip from Salt Lake City to Columbia, SC without a hitch.

Out of the box the bass was way boomy on my hardwoods until I placed throw rugs under them. They have finger ports on the bottom and need to be elevated 1/4 inch or more ( I say more ). They come with a hardfloor feet ( ball end as Zu calls them ) which appear to be nothing more than threaded bolts ground smooth. I'll be using the heavy duty spikes as they will give higher evelevation even if it means buying some better looking small rugs. I think I'll appreciate the bass even more if I can raise them an inch off the floor. I already know the sub will not be needed.

My 2.5 wpc Miniwatt drives them effortless in my 16x16 room but with just a tiny bit of head room left over. In a larger room the Omens will need a few watts more. I'd say these are more on the order of 93 db rather than Zu's claim of 97 db sensitivity. I'll try my Sure TK2050 amp and Bada tube hybrid tomorrow.

Early impressions after only three hours: maybe not as detailed as the little Fostex 4.5's but the soundstage makes up for it in spades - makes the little Tektons sound thin in comparison - very pleasant at low volume too and distractingly good - the sound is growing on me minute by minute - as good as they sound, break-in must be immediate - no shout heard with the big drivers with Devil's Food can sized phase plugs - listening to the old classic "Jazz at the Pawnshop" which aurally transports me to that intimate live jazz club in Stockholm with the wonderful vibes' riff floating in the air above the tinkling high ball glasses - "El Viento De Verdad" from Louis Borda's "Nouveau Tango" is better than I've heard it before with piano done so right and Latin guitar so real you can touch it and the same with the melancholic "Milonga De Mis Amores" cut - If you don't own this CD buy it and then write me a thank you note!

You see the Omens are ready working their spell and making me forget about every thing but the music. The wife says shut it down as it's $.99 taco night at Casa Linda's. I'll be back with more updates so stay tuned.

Mr Peabody
11-09-2010, 05:09 PM
So how is the high end? Does it seem rolled off compared to a 2-way?

Ajani
11-09-2010, 06:08 PM
@ Poultrygeist: I think we're all anxiously waiting for the follow up impressions...

Sure you don't want to also order the Tekton Lore and do an in-home comparison? :)

Poultrygeist
11-09-2010, 07:32 PM
The Omen has Zu's signature in-house engineered and manufactured solid aluminum billet machined super tweeter. The Omen is really a 1.5 way design as the super tweeter takes over around 12KHz. I understand that the original Druids were said to have a slightly rolled-off high end but the super tweeter seems to have fixed that and it adds some really nice sparkle on the top.

I just spent another three hours listening and feel like the Zu's sound stage has taken over the entire room. I hear a solid wall of sound as if I were sitting on the front row at a concert. The speakers are no longer there and all I hear is the music. All rich tones and monster dynamics, yet the Omens are reproducing the slightest nuances of fingers sliding on guitar frets. I've logged over 6 hours listening except for a taco break and although I'm tired I'm not tired of listening. I could go on all night with these puppies - not a speck of listener fatigue, no bright tweeters, no full range shout, bass is there and firming up and will improve once I get them on 1 inch spikes, and just great solid music reproduction. On axis, off axis, I can't decide.

The big black driver and surrounds appear more rigid than my other wide banders and it looks like they could be doped or coated. That polished phase plug is the size and shape of a can of potted meat ( doubt yall know what that is outside of the south ) and it sits inside of a stiff whizzer cone.

Pictures don't do the Omens justice. They are much more handsome in person. The driver ring is turned aluminum just like the super tweeter. I don't know anything about the Lore's sound but if looks matter the Omens win hands down. While the fit and finish of the Tektons are second to none ( I have a pair of the 4.5 ), the Omens belong in an art gallery.

Ajani
11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
The Omen has Zu's signature in-house engineered and manufactured solid aluminum billet machined super tweeter. The Omen is really a 1.5 way design as the super tweeter takes over around 12KHz. I understand that the original Druids were said to have a slightly rolled-off high end but the super tweeter seems to have fixed that and it adds some really nice sparkle on the top.

That seems to be pretty common with full-range drivers... The first time I saw a "Full-Range" driver with a supertweeter and a Sub-woofer, I was like WTH??? How does that make sense? Then I learned that the driver is still allowed to run full range, so the crossover is only applied to the supertweeter (and I believe another for the sub)...

I just spent another three hours listening and feel like the Zu's sound stage has taken over the entire room. I hear a solid wall of sound as if I were sitting on the front row at a concert. The speakers are no longer there and all I hear is the music. All rich tones and monster dynamics, yet the Omens are reproducing the slightest nuances of fingers sliding on guitar frets. I've logged over 6 hours listening except for a taco break and although I'm tired I'm not tired of listening. I could go on all night with these puppies - not a speck of listener fatigue, no bright tweeters, no full range shout, bass is there and firming up and will improve once I get them on 1 inch spikes, and just great solid music reproduction. On axis, off axis, I can't decide.

The big black driver and surrounds appear more rigid than my other wide banders and it looks like they could be doped or coated. That polished phase plug is the size and shape of a can of potted meat ( doubt yall know what that is outside of the south ) and it sits inside of a stiff whizzer cone.

Good to know you like the sound so far...

Pictures don't do the Omens justice. They are much more handsome in person. The driver ring is turned aluminum just like the super tweeter. I don't know anything about the Lore's sound but if looks matter the Omens win hands down. While the fit and finish of the Tektons are second to none ( I have a pair of the 4.5 ), the Omens belong in an art gallery.

I agree, the Omens are beautiful... The Lore certainly look well built, but they have nowhere near the visual appeal of the Omens...

Poultrygeist
11-10-2010, 04:14 AM
When I first hooked up the Omens the preamp was still feeding a powered sub and the bass was way too much. With the amount of bass the Omen makes I can't imagine anyone needing a sub.

Many full range designs are either a large driver capable of good bass supported by a super tweeter or a small full range driver with good highs supported by a large full range bass driver. In the case of the latter separate amps are often used to power each driver.

Ajani
11-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Any further comparison between the Omens and your Tektons?

I know it's not really a fair comparison since the Tektons are much smaller, so scale and dynamics should be nowhere near the Omens, but how about the other audio characteristics? Since I imagine they'd both have similar quality drivers and cabinets....

Poultrygeist
11-10-2010, 01:59 PM
I've been running the Omens all day as break in takes 150 to 200 hours, Paired them with a tube hybrid amp today which makes 90 wpc and they loved it. Placed them on one inch spikes on throw rugs and viola no more boomy bass.

It is imperative to get these puppies up off the floor so those "Zurg" loaded finger ports in the bottom can breath.

Sources at Zu say the Omen betters the Druids.

Poultrygeist
11-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Even though the Tektons have been relegated to the bedroom for now they're still special to me. Nothing images and details like that little Tekton Fostex 126E but they come off a bit thin compared to the Omens. But thin doesn't sound thin unless you AB one speaker to another so the Tektons are still quite livable and lovable. The Omens are seriously smooth and I get none of the rough edges you can get from a very revealing driver like the little Fostex.

Poultrygeist
11-12-2010, 07:15 PM
The Omens have now been playing non stop for 3 1/2 days and they are starting to open up. The best location I've found so far is three feet out from the room corners toed in. They are fabulous in nearfield.

I dropped the tube pre in favor of driving them straight from the Miniwatt with the Rotel CDP as my source. The brushed high hats on "Take Five" are so crystal clear and shimmering I swear I almost teared up. I feel like I could reach out and touch the accordian player in Norah Jones's "Painter Song". The sound is so alive and it's only getting better.

Tried the Class D Sure TK2050 amp with the Omens but couldn't get the gain adjustment to sync in on the tube pre. The Miniwatt sounds more defined with the Omens than the TK2050 Class D or the big tube hybrid amp. Without the pre I get better head room with the MW and 3/4 volume is all I need. Love the bass the MW makes with the Omens as it's tight without a speck of flab.

I've been driving the Omens overnight with a old receiver set on hip hop FM. I should be near break in by the first of next week. I took some pictures of the Omens in my garage when I was unpacking them so I'll try and post them in my gallery.

Ajani
11-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Miniwatt/Omen sounds like an intriguing, affordable combo...

Ajani
11-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Looks like the early sale price of the Omens is over. Now it retails for $1,500. Considering the funkier looking Soul goes for $1,800, it leaves me wondering if there is an improvement in sound quality or if the $300 is just for the funkier cabinet:

http://www.zuaudio.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Soul_4ca0d55f093f3.jpg

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=83&category_id=1

Also the increased price makes a comparison with the Tekton Lore even more intriguing, since the Lore was introduced at $850 and will retail for $1K (so only 2/3 the price of the Omen)...

Poultrygeist
11-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Even though the written price has gone up I'd bet a pair can still be had for the intro price. The Soul's sloped side cabinet is more expensive to manufacture but the drivers look the same except for their reversed position. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the more expensive and harder to mass produce models are phased out.

I'm really smitten with these puppies and the sound keeps getting better. I've uploaded some pictures of the Zu's in my gallery.

Ajani
11-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Even though the written price has gone up I'd bet a pair can still be had for the intro price. The Soul's sloped side cabinet is more expensive to manufacture but the drivers look the same except for their reversed position. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the more expensive and harder to mass produce models are phased out.

I'm really smitten with these puppies and the sound keeps getting better. I've uploaded some pictures of the Zu's in my gallery.

I actually got that impression from an article on the Omen (can't remember which article though)... The aim of it was to make something that could be mass produced but still sound like the real deal... I suspect they may just scrap the Soul and maybe keep the more expensive Soul Superfly upgraded model... As I think the Soul and Omen are too close in price and the Soul is supposed to be a challenge to manufacture compared to the Omen...

Poultrygeist
11-16-2010, 06:46 PM
After a full week of playing the Omens non stop they surely have achieved break-in and sound better than I ever could have imagined. Sitting here listening to them with the lights turned down I can't help but feel a little sad as this wonderful audio journey I've been on for many years may have reached it's end. The Omens are my destination speakers.

Ajani
11-16-2010, 06:58 PM
After a full week of playing the Omens non stop they surely have achieved break-in and sound better than I ever could have imagined. Sitting here listening to them with the lights turned down I can't help but feel a little sad as this wonderful audio journey I've been on for many years may have reached it's end. The Omens are my destination speakers.

CONGRATS!!! Always good to hear when a audiophile finds what he's been looking for...

Are you still using them with the MiniWatt??? Any thought on whether the entire combo will be the destination combo or is the speaker journey the only one at an end?

Also, are u sure ZU Audio can't tempt you back into the game with their new Omen Definition Speakers? :D

http://twitpic.com/377sau

Poultrygeist
11-17-2010, 03:44 PM
The Definitions at almost three times the price of the Omen don't look as appealing to me and would likely be too much speaker for my medium sized listening room. Looks like these are aimed more at the high end HT market.

Poultrygeist
11-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Got the preamp issues straightened out ( faulty 12AU7 ) and the class D power amp is now making the Omens sing. Someone in another post mentioned "whole house sound". Well that's what I get with the Omens. Music even at low volume seems to carry into every room. My wife remarked that it's like standing outside a live dance hall.

automaticmojo
11-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm glad you liked the Omens- I can't say the pair I heard at a good freinds house (didn't take my advice on the craigslist ESS AMT's) sounded very good.
not trying to be harsh, just my opinion.
I thought they lacked any real bass impact and musicality, one note in some respects. The highs wern't too bad, but seemed a bit disjointed from the mids. I was really hoping to hear a highly dynamic musical (and accurate) speaker.
We had the suggested space off the floor, corner placement helped, but it seemed to muddy the bass as well.
Perhaps you had better equipment, but I can't imagine there being a huge difference. Perhaps the sound grows on you? Unfortunatly that doesn't work for me.
Again, nothing personal on your taste, just anothers opinion

Ajani
11-27-2010, 05:42 PM
ZU Audio speakers are now available from MusicDirect:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/brand.php?b=ZU%20AUDIO

Of note is that the Omen is listed for $1K... So perhaps that will be the final price...

TheHills44060
11-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Seems like a waste of time to me...it's like Krell making an integrated amplifier, or Martin Logan wasting their time on subwoofers....great thoroughbred companies making an inferior product to serve the uneducated masses.

The Zu Definition II is where the real sound is at. The full range attempt is not a good one as far as my ears tell me. The Omen and Superfly are aimed at the cheapy buyers who get the same kick as listening to Emotiva amplifiers. Just my thought of course.

Ajani
11-28-2010, 05:16 AM
Seems like a waste of time to me...it's like Krell making an integrated amplifier, or Martin Logan wasting their time on subwoofers....great thoroughbred companies making an inferior product to serve the uneducated masses.

The Zu Definition II is where the real sound is at. The full range attempt is not a good one as far as my ears tell me. The Omen and Superfly are aimed at the cheapy buyers who get the same kick as listening to Emotiva amplifiers. Just my thought of course.

Krell makes 2 integrated amplifiers: both of which are highly regarded by consumers and critics and sell well.

Also, not everyone is loaded with money, so many persons will be "cheapy buyers" by your ridiculous definition.

Finally, since I am sure you have never even heard an Emotiva amplifier or these entry level ZU products then your opinion has no basis whatsoever. However, it is clearly your right to be a snob based solely on price. Thankfully many audiophiles would rather listen to gear and make their own judgments than look solely at MSRP as you do.

Poultrygeist
11-28-2010, 06:13 AM
What would you call someone who can diss a speaker they've never heard?

Ajani
11-28-2010, 06:20 AM

No word that I can use on this forum without being banned....

TheHills44060
11-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Krell makes 2 integrated amplifiers: both of which are highly regarded by consumers and critics and sell well.

Also, not everyone is loaded with money, so many persons will be "cheapy buyers" by your ridiculous definition.

Finally, since I am sure you have never even heard an Emotiva amplifier or these entry level ZU products then your opinion has no basis whatsoever. However, it is clearly your right to be a snob based solely on price. Thankfully many audiophiles would rather listen to gear and make their own judgments than look solely at MSRP as you do.

First of all why do you get your panties is in such a such a bunch and make stupid statements like the one's above? Everyone's ears are different and sound is so freakin subjective. I know what I like and I'm sure you do too.

To me the Omen's are a waste. I'm not really sure what audience they are aimed at but then again the fullrange thing is not my cup of tea anyway. It just seems like they dumbed things down to try and make a product that more people can afford.

Your statement about never me having listened to Emotiva amp or Zu speaker is asinine. It's like me claiming that you've never had blueberry pancakes. There's no way i could possibly know that and i'd have to be an idiot to say something of the sort (see sentence number two).

MSRP has nothing to do with anything. I had friends over last night and listened to a pair of tiny speakers I picked up for 300.00 bucks a pair and had a great time with them.

I look forward to laughing at your next thread whatever it may be but I'll make sure to agree with exactly you might have to say just to make you feel better and keep you from looking like such a fool.

Luvin Da Blues
11-28-2010, 06:37 AM

Same as anyone else that doesn't have first hand knowledge of the topic.

Ignorant. :biggrin5:

Ajani
11-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Ha ha i don't even know where to start. You are a complete imbecile...ok well, looks like i do know where to start.

First of all why do you get your panties is in such a such a bunch and make stupid statements like the one's above? Everyone's ears are different and sound is so freakin subjective. I know what I like and I'm sure you do too.

To me the Omen's are a waste. I'm not really sure what audience they are aimed at but then again the fullrange thing is not my cup of tea anyway. It just seems like they dumbed things down to try and make a product that more people can afford.

Your statement about never me having listened to Emotiva amp or Zu speaker is asinine. It's like me claiming that you've never had blueberry pancakes. There's no way i could possibly know that and i'd have to be an idiot to say something of the sort (see sentence number two).

MSRP has nothing to do with anything. I had friends over last night and listened to a pair of tiny speakers I picked up for 300.00 bucks a pair and had a great time with them.

I look forward to laughing at your next thread whatever it may be but I'll make sure to agree with exactly you might have to say just to make you feel better and keep you from looking like such a fool.

The fact that you have to violate forum rules by calling me an imbecile and a fool says everything about you that needs to be said...

Your statements make it clear that you don't understand tastes...

Also, if you had ever heard the Zu speakers or Emotiva gear you would have said so rather than play games... You have been bashing Emotiva from back before you changed your username from shodulik. More than one person has asked you what Emotiva amp you have heard and you have never answered. I remember you clearly for being the guy who constantly came into an Emo thread to bash it without providing any reason for your opinions. here's an example in the ERC thread, where you bash Emo and never answer Mr. Peabody's question about what amp you listened to:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=34812&highlight=emotiva

I stand by my comments and will waste no more time on you as you have no basis for your opinion, which is why you resort to name calling...

Ajani
11-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Same as anyone else that doesn't have first hand knowledge of the topic.

Ignorant. :biggrin5:

lol... exactly

TheHills44060
11-28-2010, 04:05 PM
The fact that you have to violate forum rules by calling me an imbecile and a fool says everything about you that needs to be said...

Your statements make it clear that you don't understand tastes...

Also, if you had ever heard the Zu speakers or Emotiva gear you would have said so rather than play games...

I stand by my comments and will waste no more time on you as you have no basis for your opinion, which is why you resort to name calling...
Omg try loosening your dreadlocks my friend. AR is supposed to be fun and informational, stop taking things so personally and acting like you're going to have your mom call my mom because I called you a name. Sheeesh...

Every single thing in your response contradicts itself. Of course I understand tastes. If everyone's taste was the same there'd be no reason for forum like this. I posted my thoughts and you didn't like them. Instead of taking it worth a grain of salt you claim to know what I have and have not heard. If you have those type of powers you probably know the next big winning lottery number and the winner of the next super bowl. Oh hey can you bend spoons with your psychic abilities as well!?!? I do not make statements about whether or not i like the way a piece of equipment sounds unless I heard it.

You saying that because my taste is different than yours I have no basis for an opinion is pretty absurd any way you slice it.

I suggest you make a ledger in which you can copy down each post of mine which does not agree with your "taste" and then give it your mom. She can then contact an AR administrator and maybe I'll get an infraction or permaban. I'll pm it to ya so that way you can feel better. After all Ajani we can't have you upset now can we?

It's the internet lighten up man haha.

Ajani
11-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Omg try loosening your dreadlocks my friend. AR is supposed to be fun and informational, stop taking things so personally and acting like you're going to have your mom call my mom because I called you a name. Sheeesh...

Every single thing in your response contradicts itself. Of course I understand tastes. If everyone's taste was the same there'd be no reason for forum like this. I posted my thoughts and you didn't like them. Instead of taking it worth a grain of salt you claim to know what I have and have not heard. If you have those type of powers you probably know the next big winning lottery number and the winner of the next super bowl. Oh hey can you bend spoons with your psychic abilities as well!?!? I do not make statements about whether or not i like the way a piece of equipment sounds unless I heard it.

You saying that because my taste is different than yours I have no basis for an opinion is pretty absurd any way you slice it.

I suggest you make a ledger in which you can copy down each post of mine which does not agree with your "taste" and then give it your mom. She can then contact an AR administrator and maybe I'll get an infraction or permaban. I'll pm it to ya so that way you can feel better. After all Ajani we can't have you upset now can we?

It's the internet lighten up man haha.

Here's the issue shodulik (oh I'm sorry do I need to call you by your new title now? TheHills44060 - did you get too much heat for trolling before?), I'm sure you know perfectly well that there is a world of difference between saying that you dislike a product (that you have tried) and insulting persons who buy a product you don't like (even if you have never tried it).

You've bashed Emotiva in multiple threads and never once said that what Emo gear you tried, so I have to reasonably conclude that you have tried nothing and have no basis for your opinion...

You entered this thread with 2 attacks:

it's like Krell making an integrated amplifier, or Martin Logan wasting their time on subwoofers....great thoroughbred companies making an inferior product to serve the uneducated masses.

&

the Omen and Superfly are aimed at the cheapy buyers who get the same kick as listening to Emotiva amplifiers

So who are these "Uneducated masses" who buy the Krell S300i or FBI?

Also, who are the "cheapy buyers" who buy Emo amps and these new Zu speakers?

That's not a matter of having different tastes, no one cares whether you like Emo, ZU, Krell integrateds or whatever... The question is why do you feel the need to insult a whole lot of people?

So all the name calling in the world and talking about my mummy (I assumed, probably incorrectly, that we were all adults on this site) will not change the fact that you have bashed and dissed repeatedly and have yet to make even a claim that supports your opinion... You won't even have the decency to at least make up a story about the Emo, Krell and Zu products that you never tried...

So as I said before, this is a waste of time... you are free to have the last word...

TheHills44060
11-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Please read my posts in their entirety before commenting. I explicitly explained the reason for the name change in my thread and I have already explicitly explained what I do not like about Emotiva amps in a few threads.

If your feelings are so hurt you need the guidance of a counselor who can help treat your over sensitivity because i will continue to post my opinions on this site whether you like it or not.

Thank the lord you are newcomer 08'er. You never would have lasted a few years ago with some of the much more opinionated members who used to be here. I could easily see you having some sort of anxiety attack or mental breakdown.

Nice chattin with you Ajani. I won't gum up this thread any more. We'll just have to wait until you cry about another one of my posts somewhere else.

One last note. It is polite to sign your reps...consider it a reminder in the case that u should forget to one day, just sayin.

Poultrygeist
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM
According to Mr Hills I qualify as a "cheapy" because I bought a pair of these new 1K speakers. How much would I need to spend to avoid being a "cheapy"?

Geoffcin
11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
That's going to be enough "imbecility" in this thread. Another use of derogatory language will draw a suspension. The "fun" days of calling people names are over. Consider yourself warned.

atomicAdam
11-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Please keep your disagreements professional. Insults will not be tolerated.

Ajani
12-01-2010, 04:16 AM
To get back on topic, this would be my choice of finish:

http://www.musicdirect.com/shared/images/products/large/azuomen_blue.jpg

Ajani
12-01-2010, 05:01 AM
Or maybe:

http://www.musicdirect.com/shared/images/products/large/azuomen_red.jpg

Mr Peabody
12-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Guys, after doing research I was all set to try a pair of Soul Superfly, despite they won't accept bananas, or not recommended. The reviews of the Essence had me drooling although some aspects conflicted. I talked to Zu about the Essence and they actually suggested I try the Superfly based on my enjoyment of several genres of music, the Superfly is supposed to be more dynamic than the Essence with the Essence having more refinement. Looks like the deal breaker is Zu's high impedance. I asked CJ if I can verify but they suspect my amps were set up for 4 ohm that will work with 8 ohm but 12 or 16 would cause power transfer issues. I'm really disappointed because the Superfly sounded the closest I've found to being something that could replace the Dyn's. I really got excited when I was reading the reviews of the Essence and folks kept talking about this "presence". Any other highly efficient speakers out there that sound good. Keep in mind they will have to sound real good to displace the Dyn's.

Ajani
12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Guys, after doing research I was all set to try a pair of Soul Superfly, despite they won't accept bananas, or not recommended. The reviews of the Essence had me drooling although some aspects conflicted. I talked to Zu about the Essence and they actually suggested I try the Superfly based on my enjoyment of several genres of music, the Superfly is supposed to be more dynamic than the Essence with the Essence having more refinement. Looks like the deal breaker is Zu's high impedance. I asked CJ if I can verify but they suspect my amps were set up for 4 ohm that will work with 8 ohm but 12 or 16 would cause power transfer issues. I'm really disappointed because the Superfly sounded the closest I've found to being something that could replace the Dyn's. I really got excited when I was reading the reviews of the Essence and folks kept talking about this "presence". Any other highly efficient speakers out there that sound good. Keep in mind they will have to sound real good to displace the Dyn's.

I know this might sound like a bit of a step down in quality (even though it is slightly more expensive) than the Soul Superfly, but did you discuss the Omen Definitions with Zu? The Omen Definitions are 6 ohms, so they should be no problem for your CJs and they should have phenomenal bass with dual 10" full range drivers...

http://www.zuaudio.com/store/omen/def/Default.aspx

http://www.zuaudio.com/images/product/omen/omen_def_angle.gif

Mr Peabody
12-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Hey, I didn't see those, are they still available? I'll research those out, thanks

Ajani
12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Hey, I didn't see those, are they still available? I'll research those out, thanks

They're the latest additions to the Omen Range... The Range now includes the Omen Towers, Omen Definition, Omen Bookshelf and an Omen Center Channel...

Mr Peabody
12-01-2010, 05:49 PM
I saw on one of the comparisons they used to have a Soul Def. I will call them tomorrow to see what they say. Maybe they have a Superfly Def on the board :)

Interestingly, no Zu speakers on Audiogon.

Ajani
12-01-2010, 06:21 PM
I saw on one of the comparisons they used to have a Soul Def. I will call them tomorrow to see what they say. Maybe they have a Superfly Def on the board :)

Interestingly, no Zu speakers on Audiogon.

I think the Soul Def on the comparison chart is yet to be released... I know they previously had a flagship model called the Definition... the Omen Def and (I assume) Soul Def are based on that design (dual full range drivers)...

Mr Peabody
12-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Poultrygeist, tell me more about the Omen, what is the sound like and any other comparisons other than the Tektones?

Mr Peabody
12-03-2010, 02:44 PM
What model is PMC floorstander?

atomicAdam
12-03-2010, 02:52 PM
What model is PMC floorstander?

How you talking to here?

PMC has a few floorstanders - http://www.pmc-speakers.com/productCats.php?mode=productCats&cid=4

Mr Peabody
12-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I got this thread mixed up with the other one I've been discussing Zu in. Adam, did you ever hear Zu at the shows?

atomicAdam
12-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I got this thread mixed up with the other one I've been discussing Zu in. Adam, did you ever hear Zu at the shows?

yep, i heard them in a couple rooms. fun, rocking, reminded me of a guitar amp kind of sound. im supposed to be getting some in for review... have to figure out whats up.

Poultrygeist
12-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I had written a long reply ready to post and when I spilled a glass of merlot on the keyboard, it disappeared (?). I'll try and reconstruct inspite of some very sticky keys..

I started early this morning listening to "Christmas With Traveling Light" ( Pilafian, Vignola, and Pepowski ) with the MW at very low volume so as not to awake the other half. The Omens reproduced Sam's tuba as tight and full at low volume as I could ever hope for. Being an old bass clef guy ( trombonist ) this makes me rejoice. Same can be said for Buster Williams' bass vile on "Griot Liberte". No flab just plenty of lean meat-on-the bone with these puppies.

This evening I tried the shoe box Emo/Dayton amp at Ajani's request and was surprised at it's sound with the Omens. Being a sub amp it's not designed for critcal listening yet it sounded damn good with the Omens. Lacking the "to die for" top end sparkle of the MW, it gave some nice weight and heft with it's 75 watts and the Omens loved it. I saw mid 90dbs on the sound meter at half volume with no harshness. Would love to hear the Omens with some ball busting mono-blocks but ironically they seem to feast on whatever you feed them. They can just as easily thrive at a tapas bar as at a southern buffet. Can speakers have headroom?

The sales literature states that the Omens are "voiced for the human voice". I tried my only barbershop CD tonight and the Omens gave me six feet of depth behind the quartet. Ever heard 3D speakers? I think I just did. I was so impressed I'm thinking of joining SPEBSQSA :-)

At this point I would say that the sound density and staging is what sets the Omen apart. They have the fine mids that make the FRer's so endearing but with great dynamics thrown in.

It's hard to compare the Omens to conventional speakers as wide banders are uniquely different. After buying the little Tektons I sold my conventional Aerials which cost 6 times more as I knew the FR sound was what I had been searching for. Wished I hadn't wasted so much time and money along the way. I read in one national review that the original Druids competed soundwise with the Gallo Refs 3 and now the Omens are said to be an improvement over the Druids. Who knows? But I do know that the Omens will probably be the last factory built speakers I'll ever buy.

Mr Pea if you're thinking of getting the Zu's why not buy them with the understanding that you'll only be out $100 shipping if you return them within 60 days. I doubt they're getting many returns for the same reason they aren't showing up on audiogon.

Geoffcin
12-03-2010, 04:59 PM

I read in one national review that the original Druids competed soundwise with the Gallo Refs 3 and now the Omens are said to be an improvement over the Druids. Who knows? But I do know that the Omens will probably be the last factory built speakers I'll ever buy.

Mr Pea if you're thinking of getting the Zu's why not buy them with the understanding that you'll only be out $100 shipping if you return them within 60 days. I doubt they're getting many returns for the same reason they aren't showing up on audiogon.

I've owned the Gallo Reference 3's. If the Druids sound as good as them then that is a good thing. I also like that they give you a 60 day return policy.

Mr Peabody
12-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Adam, like a guitar amp? That's not very flattering :)

Poultrygeist, Zu is the top contender. It's the talk I read about "presence" that has me interested. The guys at Zu said they are having a sale coming up and I am waiting to see what comes up. I will need a Omen Def for impedance match. I really want a Soul Def when available, so I might wait to see what that's about. They rave about their imaging etc. but it's hard to imagine a 10" in a cabinet imaging well. Also, they are now offering shipping both ways if not satisfied, so they must really be confident. If their stats on the website are true they should be, very small amount of returns.

atomicAdam
12-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Adam, like a guitar amp? That's not very flattering :)

Well, I don't mean it to insult. It just kind of had the same sound, the same full of life blarringness that guitars amps have.

I'll be honest, and it is only from my impressions at the show, in two different rooms, two different Zu speakers, unfamiliar music and source equipment, but I felt they lacked certain since of refinement that I would want, if I was going to spend 1.5k or more on speakers. And that is exactly why I want to get some in so that I can really spend some time with them to see if this impression stays or fades.

And maybe, if in case it does stay, it might be balanced out by some other positive about the speaker. Possibly it really is just fun to listen to. So... Does that clarify my statement?

Poultrygeist
12-04-2010, 07:06 AM
On another forum they are already discussing Omen mods. The only mod I plan is experimenting with different bases. I don't like the ice pick spikes that came with the Omens ( told them so and they are looking at better options ). Those spikes will eventually bore holes through the thickest carpet. I will replace them with longer threaded rod extensions and raise them just a little higher adding an adjustable tilt on a fixed base. Haven't got the design in my head yet ( suggestions welcomed ).

Zu says you only need to be able to pass a cd case under the Omens but I think they need more height than that. Those finger ports on the bottom are the key to their zurg twist - motorcycle expansion chamber inspired design. If you've owned a dirt bike or rice rocket you understand the importance of a tuned exhaust system and the Zu techies are all bikers.

The Omen doesn't have much dampening material inside but that may not be a bad thing. I know of some great designs ( BLH's ) that use no dampening. Think I'll wait for the DIY guys to reach some consensus on potential mods.

My brother has Marshal and Fender guitar amp speakers which don't remind me much of the Omens. One guitar speaker however which has crossed over into high end DIY audio is the Tone Tubby which is said to excel in OB applications.

I believe the Zu marketing guys are targeting a youth market with the Omens, although I don't know any skaters who can shell out a grand. The Omens may be good rock speakers but Stevie Ray Vaughn is as far as I've ventured down that path and they did him justice and then some.

The nice thing about the Omens is they don't seem so amp dependent. They're ok with whatever you've got. I could see folks running them with cheap T-amps and being happy with the results. They partner well with TK2050 chip amps and miss the Shure power amp I returned to PE ( noisy rt channel ) for a replacement. Can't wait to get another as this was a great match even with a noisy channel and a fussy preamp to boot. I'm anxious to build a SDS/CDA kit like Feanor and drive the Omens with it. While they are certainly tube friendly they kicked butt with my garage sale 1970's Marantz 1150 solid state. Ajani the Emo/Dayton shoe box amp stepped up hugely with the Omens when I added a tube preamp. I could hang with that combo.

In trade for re-foaming a friend's AR3a's and EPI 100's I recently picked up a 1960's Rotel/Martel single ended tube receiver for $75 ( may be repeating myself ). This old Japanese tube receiver is pure liquid lushness with the Omens. Not so much detail but soooo buttery smooth with a fantastic tuner that drifts :-( Tomorrow the same audio junkie friend is bringing over a rebuilt Dynaco ST-70 and a copper top HK tube amp to try with the Omens. I'll let yall know how those sound.

Mr Peabody
12-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Adam, I understood, and appreciate your honesty, it's just not a statement that pushes me in their direction.

Poultrygeist
12-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Easy and effective $3.00 tweak for the Omens by replacing factory 3/8 inch spikes/floor feet with these beauties from Home Depot:

( 4 ) 3/8 x 3 inch hex bolts ( with partial threads ) for the front legs
( 4 ) 3/8 x 2 inch hex bolts ( with partial threads ) for the rear legs

Folks on another forum have been fretting over getting some back tilt and increased space between the finger ports on the bottom and the floor. With these 35 cent hex bolts I'm getting tighter bass and the driver and tweeter have a much improved disperstion angle. The hex bolts from HD have a nice shine and look far better than the factory ice pick spikes. I could have used full thread bolts but with these the threads don't show and they look like they were designed for the Omens.

The Omen's feet now rest on two cut down black industrial grade floor mats from Home Depot glued together. The mats are acoustically dead and offer no reflection.

These are such easy tweaks I hope they can remain under the Omen thread as few would see them in the DIY section.

Poultrygeist
12-10-2010, 04:09 PM
B stock Omens on sale for $799 during Zu's Christmas sale.

Mr Peabody
12-11-2010, 08:29 AM
I know the Zu are sort of unique I just wonder how they stack up against similar big name speakers in same price range as far as sound quality? I wonder if any one has ever compared them to established brands like Dynaudio, Focal, Monitor Audio, even Klipsch etc. The Essence received a pretty good review in Stereophile and 6moons. One of the guys at Zu seemed to feel the Essence was more refined and audiophile, suggested for a broad listening taste the Superfly would be a better option. Unfortunately, I need a typical impedance so for now the Omen Def is my only option unless I wanted to wait for a Soul Def which could be out of my range.

Poultrygeist
12-12-2010, 04:13 AM
Mr Pea, the impedance issue is holding you back. If I were you I'd spring for the B-stock Omens and with the money saved you could buy a nice SET which would be a much better match with any of the Zu's than your powerful MV60s.

Mr Peabody
12-12-2010, 07:43 AM
I've read a lot of comments on other forums where people have driven the Omens with digital or larger SS and they seemed to do fine. My concern is how refined are the Zu, how much detai,l if any, might be lost.

frenchmon
12-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I read in one national review that the original Druids competed soundwise with the Gallo Refs 3 and now the Omens are said to be an improvement over the Druids. Who knows?

I've heard the Gallo Reference Strada and the Ref 3.5. IF the Zu speakers sounds like that, they have a very out standing product. MrP has heard the Gallo as well and he like it I believed.

Poultrygeist
12-12-2010, 02:40 PM
The Omens, like most high quailty full range single drivers, when paired with a good SET will produce detail in spades.

RGA
12-13-2010, 10:29 AM
This is quite an intriguing speaker on several fronts. One the tweeter is not so much a tweeter but a kind of super tweeter which according to what I read operates 12khz up and is time aligned.

The big thing is the easy impedance and high sensitivity 9ohm minimum impedance and 98db sensitive are both things that would make this a dead easy to drive speaker. 1.5 watts would be more than enough for the average room. This speaker unlike a lot of speakers in this price range would fully take advantage of the best sounding amplifiers (ie SE amplifiers) and that already lets a source first approach be realized.

From reading them I like their entire strategy of getting a HE speaker that isn't a typical horn at prices people can actually afford. And they look pretty cool as a side bonus.

Ajani
12-13-2010, 10:54 AM
This is quite an intriguing speaker on several fronts. One the tweeter is not so much a tweeter but a kind of super tweeter which according to what I read operates 12khz up and is time aligned.

The big thing is the easy impedance and high sensitivity 9ohm minimum impedance and 98db sensitive are both things that would make this a dead easy to drive speaker. 1.5 watts would be more than enough for the average room. This speaker unlike a lot of speakers in this price range would fully take advantage of the best sounding amplifiers (ie SE amplifiers) and that already lets a source first approach be realized.

From reading them I like their entire strategy of getting a HE speaker that isn't a typical horn at prices people can actually afford. And they look pretty cool as a side bonus.

Yep, they are very intriguing speakers... Even the Omen Definition with the dual 10" inch drivers are both full range... no crossover for those drivers and merely protection for the supertweeter... Plus they are affordable and look good...

Poultrygeist
12-14-2010, 05:19 AM
I'm thinking the Omen Defs are targeted for high end HT in very large rooms.

Two large wide banders in a single enclosure is almost unheard of. I'm getting huge sound from the standard Omens and any more would have me taking down walls. Two rooms away from my listening area sounds like standing outside a concert.

Ajani
12-14-2010, 08:43 AM
I'm thinking the Omen Defs are targeted for high end HT in very large rooms.

Two large wide banders in a single enclosure is almost unheard of. I'm getting huge sound from the standard Omens and any more would have me taking down walls. Two rooms away from my listening area sounds like standing outside a concert.

According to Zu's comparison chart:

The Omens are for small to large rooms & the Omen Defs are for medium to huge rooms...

Oh and just in case anyone is interested, the yet to be released $40K flagship, the Dominance, is for Large to Stadiums

http://www.zuaudio.com/pdfs/ComparisonChartLsWEB.pdf

Poultrygeist
12-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I've read everything on the Zu site several times over but when they rate the Zu's sound with receivers it seems they're using a shotgun appoach to marketing.

I'm just saying the Omens are a heck of a lot of speaker for any size room. Now if I ever added a ballroom on my house I might consider the Omen Defs.

Mr Peabody
12-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Might as well not keep it a secret, I pulled the trigger on the Omen Def. My only choice if i wanted to try the Zu due to impedance matching. I got them in Sangria. They apparently build to order and are still filling Black Friday so not sure when I will get them. When I mentioned I wish I had them during the week I was off between Christmas and NY the girl led me to believe it may be possible but previously estimated mid January. The only way I will ever know them is to try them and I have nothing to lose. I'm pretty excited to hear them. Adam, at Zu seemed very confident in the product when I mentioned what i had and was familiar with, we shall see. My room isn't huge, maybe 14x22 or so but it opens in the back to another large room so hopefully they will be alright in my space. I did not need another amp so worked around the Xmas sale.

Ajani
12-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Might as well not keep it a secret, I pulled the trigger on the Omen Def. My only choice if i wanted to try the Zu due to impedance matching. I got them in Sangria. They apparently build to order and are still filling Black Friday so not sure when I will get them. When I mentioned I wish I had them during the week I was off between Christmas and NY the girl led me to believe it may be possible but previously estimated mid January. The only way I will ever know them is to try them and I have nothing to lose. I'm pretty excited to hear them. Adam, at Zu seemed very confident in the product when I mentioned what i had and was familiar with, we shall see. My room isn't huge, maybe 14x22 or so but it opens in the back to another large room so hopefully they will be alright in my space. I did not need another amp so worked around the Xmas sale.

Good choice! Being in the US, allows you take advantage of the in-home trial with virtually no risk... I have to be sure I really want a product before I order, as the shipping cost + duties would result in an audition and return being very expensive...

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Omens! I figure between you and Poultrygeist I should have enough info to decide whether to take the chance on a pair...

Mr Peabody
12-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Wish we could get you the info before deals all disappear.

Ajani
12-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Wish we could get you the info before deals all disappear.

Well at least on the bright side, I'll get to see the new launches at CES in January before I commit to a purchase... But yeah, getting one of the Christmas deals would have been nice...

Poultrygeist
12-14-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm still trying to borrow my friend's reburbed Dynaco ST-70. It has 16 ohm taps which I want to try with the Omens. I've heard ST-70's driving horns and their vise like grip almost made up for their lack of detail.

Here's an article on why full range HF speakers work so well with low powered SET amps.

http://www.decware.com/paper43.htm

MntnMan62
12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I have been trying to decide how to deal with having my front speakers blown by over zealous party guests and have been waffling between just replacing the fronts (Cambridge Soundworks ensemble) or replacing the entire speaker package. The holiday fever seems to be taking hold with me because I recently have read the posts about the Zu Omens. And then seeing their 13 days of Christmas specials really got my juices flowing. The 5 channel package was right up my alley however I figured I should really go all the way so I called Zu and asked about upgrading that package by replacing the Omens with Omen Def as the fronts. This system would be in my living room and would be driven, at least initially, by my existing Marantz SR7000. My interest here is two-pronged: 1) Set up a nice surround system for movies with the family and football and 2) set up a kick ass clean sounding system for music that will properly represent my collection of jazz, fusion, 60's and 70's rock and most importantly, Zappa. From what I have seen posted, this system would be a cost effective way to reach that result. Does anyone have any thoughts that would lead me not to pull the trigger on this? I have seen some great feedback to my other posts in the past and really appreciate everyone's perspective here.:23:

Ajani
12-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I have been trying to decide how to deal with having my front speakers blown by over zealous party guests and have been waffling between just replacing the fronts (Cambridge Soundworks ensemble) or replacing the entire speaker package. The holiday fever seems to be taking hold with me because I recently have read the posts about the Zu Omens. And then seeing their 13 days of Christmas specials really got my juices flowing. The 5 channel package was right up my alley however I figured I should really go all the way so I called Zu and asked about upgrading that package by replacing the Omens with Omen Def as the fronts. This system would be in my living room and would be driven, at least initially, by my existing Marantz SR7000. My interest here is two-pronged: 1) Set up a nice surround system for movies with the family and football and 2) set up a kick ass clean sounding system for music that will properly represent my collection of jazz, fusion, 60's and 70's rock and most importantly, Zappa. From what I have seen posted, this system would be a cost effective way to reach that result. Does anyone have any thoughts that would lead me not to pull the trigger on this? I have seen some great feedback to my other posts in the past and really appreciate everyone's perspective here.:23:

The only question I can ask (as I've yet to audition the Omens) is what is the size of your room? The Definitions will require a very large room...

Mr Peabody
12-17-2010, 03:56 PM
One thing you should consider, and I need to do it as well now that you made me think of it, the impedances run higher than normal. The Def is fine at 6 ohms, I need to look up the center and rears but don't have time right now.

Ajani
12-17-2010, 03:58 PM
One thing you should consider, and I need to do it as well now that you made me think of it, the impedances run higher than normal. The Def is fine at 6 ohms, I need to look up the center and rears but don't have time right now.

They're both 12 ohm like the standard Omen.

Mr Peabody
12-17-2010, 06:02 PM
With the center and rears both being 12 ohms you might want to send an email to Marantz to see how the receiver will react.

I'll have to check to see how the 5125 will react. I'll probably just have the 12 ohm center to worry about. I want to hear the Def before going ahead with the center.

btbluesky
12-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Just placed an order for the omen bookshelf. Since I'm planning to use with a subwoofer, it should be fine. can't wait to compare it with the tekton ob6.5en and sierra1NRT upgraded!

Ajani
12-18-2010, 02:32 AM
Just placed an order for the omen bookshelf. Since I'm planning to use with a subwoofer, it should be fine. can't wait to compare it with the tekton ob6.5en and sierra1NRT upgraded!

First off:

Welcome to the Forums!!!

Secondly:

Please post your findings when you get to compare the Omen Bookshelf to the Tektons... I'm sure a number of forum members (including myself) would appreciate the comparison.

Geoffcin
12-18-2010, 03:11 AM
With the center and rears both being 12 ohms you might want to send an email to Marantz to see how the receiver will react.

I'll have to check to see how the 5125 will react. I'll probably just have the 12 ohm center to worry about. I want to hear the Def before going ahead with the center.

With any receiver, a 12 ohm load will not present a problem. In fact it's going to be dead easy to drive. It will however lower the maximum wattage output somewhat. I assume these speakers are high efficiency types so that will be of little concern.

With an amp that uses an output transformer like a tube amp, or certain SS models (Mac) it's best to match the windings to the closest average resistance to insure maximize power output of the amp. However, you can hook up an 8 ohm or greater speaker to the 4ohm taps without worry, you just will not get as much power. It is NOT recommended to go the other way round, as looking a speaker of low resistance into a higher rated tap can overload the current rating of the transformer.

Poultrygeist
12-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Impedance has not been a problem with my Omens. I have used 16 ohm taps on several tube amps ( as recommended by Zu ) and I couldn't discern any difference in power or performance vs 8 ohm taps.

I'm floored that Zu's are considered for HT duty and paired with AV receivers. While Zu rates the Omen's sound as excellent with a receiver, that's shotgun marketing in my opinion. Using this analogy a Lambo would also make an excellent commuter car.

While they do excel with a variety of amps, one must remember that these are very high efficiency, full range, and crossover-less speakers ( with the Omens the super tweet hardly makes them more than just a single driver ). I just don't see their full potential being reached without a good low powered single ended tube amp somewhere in the mix.

MntnMan62
12-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Ajani, my living room is pretty large. About 20' by 12'. As for power needed to drive them, Zu has said they are pretty efficient and easy to drive. Peabody, I like your suggestion of contacting Marantz to see how it will react to the speakers. I would love to hear from anyone who has the Omens to to get a feeling for how they like them. With their return policy, trying them out is a pretty safe bet. And my previous experience of buying Silverline Audio Minuets without hearing them turned out great.

Mr Peabody
12-18-2010, 07:43 PM
One of the reviews I read, I think of the Essence, mentioned they hold together very well with higher power, remaining clear.

Manufacturers should admit the limits of their product though. I was at an event where the Martin Logan reps were at a store and showing off a new flagship, this was several years ago before they started making amplified speakers, they were telling folks it was alright to run the Logans with a Yamaha receiver. I don't see how in good conscience they could make that statement. Even if the receiver ran them without going into protection a HT receiver certainly isn't going to flatter the speakers.

YBArcam
12-18-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm definitely interested in what people think of the Omens. I'm not in the market for another speaker, but one day you know I'll just have to try out something new. I demoed a pair of Monitor Audio RX2 earlier this year, with their 8" driver and rear ported design, and found them too much for my small room. I'd be a bit concerned with the Omen and it's 10" driver, though I gather the Omen doesn't have a port, which should help.

Poultrygeist
12-19-2010, 05:29 AM
The Omens have two 7 inch slotted ports on the bottom and that's why they need to be elevated on legs or spikes. I added three inch legs ( lag bolts not screws ) to the front and two inch lag bolts to the rear. This gives a nice backward tilt and achieves the correct angle so the sound is at ear level when it reaches your seated sweet spot.

For critical listening the Omens with one large driver makes sense vs some of Zu's mutiple driver models as two large wide banders in the same cabinet may compete with each other. Doubling up on the big ten inch drivers would be impressive for HT action sound tracks though.

For those who haven't heard wide banders a 4.5 inch Fostex driver can deliver huge room filling sound. Just ask Poppa Chubbs about his horns which use this driver. You can get over 100 dbs SPL's of non distorted sound from the Fostex with only a couple of watts and the Omens 10 inchers have about the same level of efficiency.

My tiny 2.5 wpc MW achieves average listening levels ( low 70 dbs for me ) with the Omens at 12 o'clock on the volume pot in a 14X15 room. That means the Omens can get up to speed with little more than one watt.

Poultrygeist
01-07-2011, 06:09 AM
To give an update, the Omens are still improving even after hundreds of hours of playing time.

I now have the Omens elevated two inches in front ( 3 inch lag bolt feet ) and one inch in the rear ( 2 inch lag bolt feet ). Since my floors are hardwoods I had to come up with something to place them on. I tried 12 X 2 inch vinyl wrapped concrete pavers but a better solution was industrial grade ribbed carpet mats from HD. I cut them in 12X12 sections and glued the rubber backing together, doubling their thickness. The carpet ribbing directly beneath the finger ports affects the sound in a positive way plus I can easily move them as they easily slide on the wood floors. The initially boomy bass is nice and tight.

I recently received a replacement Sure Class D ( TK2050 ) for my defective unit from Parts Express and have been thoroughly enjoying this amp driving the Omens with a tubed preamp. The MW is feeling a little neglected at the moment.

I spent last evening visiting a friend in Charlotte and listening to his system. He has some gorgeous Altec monsters driven by $$$$ Mac tube gear and of course I did a mental comparison with my modest system. After leaving I smiled all the way home. :-)

btbluesky
04-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Just like to resurrect this thread to say. I LOVE MY OMEN Bookshelf. True it doesn't do anything below 55, but I have a directservo sub for that. Imaging is truly 3D. 3 feets from the rear wall, and the voice is 3D hanging at the wall.
But don't think a SET 8watt is enough. I had a 300B semi-mono 8 watts at first, sounds okay....but once I put a 25w KT88 mono, it's glorious with everything u throw at it.
The 300B is now serving solely for my tekton OB6.5 ....:)
P.S. I love my wife....

Mr Peabody
04-15-2011, 09:17 PM
I finally tried some toe in on my Omen Def's, it provided more bass and a more intimate sound stage. I think this may be one speaker where I prefer the toe in.

Poultrygeist
04-17-2011, 05:38 PM
The dynamic range of a live concert is 65-96 db. The Standard Omens will easily reach 96 dbs with just 2 watts per channel. I drive mine with an 8 watt 2a3 amp and can't comfortably go beyond 12 o'clock on the volume control in a 15X15 room.

If you feed the powered sub from a preamp connected to a low powered SET it's possible to dilute the signal causing the SET amp to work harder to amplify the sound. This is often the case when there's a mismatch in gain between the preamp and amp.

Worf101
04-27-2011, 05:41 AM
So, are the Zu's the NEW nOrh's or the new Swan Diva's? Is this the new "flavor of the month" for the speaker crowd? Enquiring minds want to know.

Worf

Ajani
04-27-2011, 06:20 AM
So, are the Zu's the NEW nOrh's or the new Swan Diva's? Is this the new "flavor of the month" for the speaker crowd? Enquiring minds want to know.

Worf

I haven't heard nOrh mentioned on these forums in a very long time...

Sadly, a lot of the custom order/boutique brands fall into the flavour of the month category.

Mr Peabody
04-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Only speaking for myself, they are not the flavor of the month but just what I was looking for to mate with my CJ gear. My Dyn's are excellent but I began to wonder about a speaker that would be more efficient. I played around with some models of Klipsch which got me more interested but just didn't provide the fidelity or refinement I was used to. In other words I liked some of what I heard with the better Klipsch but not willing to sacrifice sound in other areas. I liked what I heard of Harbeth but still not efficient. I tried the Zu and really like what they do, efficient, dynamic and I don't seem to lose detail. The Zu actually seem to have more of a life like presence in the room.

I feel Zu is more of a nitch product. Most of their speakers unless getting the dual driver, are high impedance and designed for tube gear, specifically SET. In my opinion they perform beyond their price in sound quality and in real life they look and feel high quality. Mine are the sangria color. I've received more comments about my Zu than any other speaker I've owned, not sure why, the color, are they unique.... who knows.

Poultrygeist
05-02-2011, 11:54 AM
In the past many full range devotees have added, almost as an afterthought, a super tweeter on top of their cabinets to gain a bit of top end sparkle and to capture some of the extreme upper frequencies which are difficult to hear at best. By integrating the super tweeters into their cabinets, Zu has been able to attract more mainstream customers who bought only 2 ways in the past and who wouldn't dare consider a full range crossover-less single driver but in reality they're getting just that. Great marketing strategy I say and glad that so many others can start appreciating the full range sound whether they know it or not.

Ajani
05-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Poultry and Mr. P,

I'm just curious about any issues you've had with the Zu's... I realize you both like the speakers, but I'm interested in knowing if there are any problems with the sound, that could be a potential deal breaker (as the the Omens are still on my list of potential speakers).... My options are basically between the Omens and Revel... 2 completely different types of speakers, with very different sound... If I buy the Omens it will have to be without audition and no (practical) return/refund option...

Also what type of amplification do you recommend for the Omens? Would Class D be a good fit or are tubes/SET the only real option?

Mr Peabody
05-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Keep in mind the Omen are 12 ohm speakers. The Omen Def having two drivers are at 6 ohms, and more expensive. My Linn 5125 is a digital amp being Class V, I run a Omen center, 12 ohm as well, and it seems to do fine but still no guarantee of good stereo results. I had my Krell hooked up to the Def's and it sounded pretty good although the synergy with Krell definitely went to the Dyn's. It's strange how some high powered amps just don't seem to have synergy with HE speakers. Krell was horrible with Klipsch. I plan at some point to hook my Bryston 3bst up to the Def's just to see how it sounds in my system.

Back on topic, the only potential thing I'd say for some to look out for is the vivid high end. It's not a problem for me in my room and gear, and I think you like that type of sound as well. I got the impression it may have been more of an issue for Adam though.

I would hesitate to give a full recommendation if going to use the XPA-2. Since a return would be difficult. My opinion on Emo, based on equipment I have, they seem to be.... well a positive spin would be "neutral" but another way is not so musical. I don't find the Zu masking anything, they are revealing so the synergy with the XPA-2 could be a bit harsh.

If thinking of building a different system the Zu with the right amp is magic. They are dynamic speakers so I feel they go better with amps that have a "boogie factor" or "pace" which means to me you get the since of rhythm in the music. I don't know if any of this will make sense :) If not Sean or Adam are good about talking to us who have questions about their product.

Ajani
05-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Keep in mind the Omen are 12 ohm speakers. The Omen Def having two drivers are at 6 ohms, and more expensive. My Linn 5125 is a digital amp being Class V, I run a Omen center, 12 ohm as well, and it seems to do fine but still no guarantee of good stereo results. I had my Krell hooked up to the Def's and it sounded pretty good although the synergy with Krell definitely went to the Dyn's. It's strange how some high powered amps just don't seem to have synergy with HE speakers. Krell was horrible with Klipsch. I plan at some point to hook my Bryston 3bst up to the Def's just to see how it sounds in my system.

Back on topic, the only potential thing I'd say for some to look out for is the vivid high end. It's not a problem for me in my room and gear, and I think you like that type of sound as well. I got the impression it may have been more of an issue for Adam though.

I would hesitate to give a full recommendation if going to use the XPA-2. Since a return would be difficult. My opinion on Emo, based on equipment I have, they seem to be.... well a positive spin would be "neutral" but another way is not so musical. I don't find the Zu masking anything, they are revealing so the synergy with the XPA-2 could be a bit harsh.

If thinking of building a different system the Zu with the right amp is magic. They are dynamic speakers so I feel they go better with amps that have a "boogie factor" or "pace" which means to me you get the since of rhythm in the music. I don't know if any of this will make sense :) If not Sean or Adam are good about talking to us who have questions about their product.

The amp would be a real issue, since I have no desire to mess around with several options to find a good fit...

Poultrygeist
05-03-2011, 05:44 AM
To get the best resolution from high efficiency speakers one needs a low powered single ended tube amp. I've tried the Omens with lots of amps, push pulls, solid states and class d's but the best have always been the single ended triodes.

I love the boisterous and meaty sound of the Omens compared to the other more refined but thinner sounding full rangers in my collection. The bass of the Omens must be tamed for hardwood floors as it's too full and relective due to those bottom finger ports. Once you elevate them, tilt them backward and and pad the floor the bass tightens right up. The Omens are very sensitive to positioning. They can get boomy in corners and prefer to be pulled out into the room with some toe in. But after 6 months I still fiddle around with placement.

Ajani
05-03-2011, 08:45 AM
To get the best resolution from high efficiency speakers one needs a low powered single ended tube amp. I've tried the Omens with lots of amps, push pulls, solid states and class d's but the best have always been the single ended triodes.

I love the boisterous and meaty sound of the Omens compared to the other more refined but thinner sounding full rangers in my collection. The bass of the Omens must be tamed for hardwood floors as it's too full and relective due to those bottom finger ports. Once you elevate them, tilt them backward and and pad the floor the bass tightens right up. The Omens are very sensitive to positioning. They can get boomy in corners and prefer to be pulled out into the room with some toe in. But after 6 months I still fiddle around with placement.

Just a few quick questions:

1) Are there any SET's you recommend, in the sub $1K price range, for use with the Omens? (Was the Miniwatt up the job or was it not something you'd recommend as a long term solution?)

2) Do you have any other comparable size full rangers in your collection? If so, it might be possible that something like say the Tekton Lore could give a similar meaty presentation yet still retain the refinement...

Poultrygeist
05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I have a Dared MP- 2a3c SET amp which is beyond amazing with the Zu Omen as well as with my Frugal Horn Mk3. There is a dealer outside of Chicago who sells them on ebay and audiogon for around $700 but he must be out of stock as I can't locate a link. There is a used one on audiogon. The link below is for the Bowei 2a3 which no doubt is another fine Chinese amp. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a bad sounding 2a3 SET. You'll only read glowing remarks about them on any audio forum.

The Miniwatt is still a great choice for the Omens and I'll never sell mine. Right now my little S1 is driving the DIY Frugals. The newer 3.5 watt 3 tube version probably sounds even better than mine. The older S1 like mine can be had for $199 on ebay.

Besides the Zu's my other full range floor standers are the Frugal Horns Mk3's and OB Betsy/Tang Bands. My Tekton 4.5's are bookshelf sized.

From reading other forums it sounds like the Omens and Lores deliver very similar performance and it's no wonder since they're almost the same size and employ pretty much the same 10 inch tricked out Eminence driver. At the same price I'd buy the Omens again but for a hundred or so less I'd go with the Lores. While the Lores have a whizzer cone like the Omens they don't have a phase plug which is used in large FRS to reduce shout. But I've never read that the Lores are at all shouty.

It's been my experience that the smaller FR drivers like the Fostex, Mark Audio CHR70 and Tang Bands sound more refinded than than any 10 incher. It's all a comprimise as you give up one thing to get another. Is great detail and pin point imaging more important than a big meaty presentation, huge sound stage and better bass? I can't say and that's why I have several pair of FR speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bowei-2A3C-Hi-End-Class-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-RED-/390307283005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae020803d

Ajani
05-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I have a Dared MP- 2a3c SET amp which is beyond amazing with the Zu Omen as well as with my Frugal Horn Mk3. There is a dealer outside of Chicago who sells them on ebay and audiogon for around $700 but he must be out of stock as I can't locate a link. There is a used one on audiogon. The link below is for the Bowei 2a3 which no doubt is another fine Chinese amp. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a bad sounding 2a3 SET. You'll only read glowing remarks about them on any audio forum.

The Miniwatt is still a great choice for the Omens and I'll never sell mine. Right now my little S1 is driving the DIY Frugals. The newer 3.5 watt 3 tube version probably sounds even better than mine. The older S1 like mine can be had for $199 on ebay.

Besides the Zu's my other full range floor standers are the Frugal Horns Mk3's and OB Betsy/Tang Bands. My Tekton 4.5's are bookshelf sized.

From reading other forums it sounds like the Omens and Lores deliver very similar performance and it's no wonder since they're almost the same size and employ pretty much the same 10 inch tricked out Eminence driver. At the same price I'd buy the Omens again but for a hundred or so less I'd go with the Lores. While the Lores have a whizzer cone like the Omens they don't have a phase plug which is used in large FRS to reduce shout. But I've never read that the Lores are at all shouty.

It's been my experience that the smaller FR drivers like the Fostex, Mark Audio CHR70 and Tang Bands sound more refinded than than any 10 incher. It's all a comprimise as you give up one thing to get another. Is great detail and pin point imaging more important than a big meaty presentation, huge sound stage and better bass? I can't say and that's why I have several pair of FR speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bowei-2A3C-Hi-End-Class-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-RED-/390307283005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae020803d

Just before I read your response I was checking out that same Dared on A'gon:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1309624622

Good to know that's the one you use...

Mr Peabody
05-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Zu uses the Peachtree amps and had a Xmas package deal with one of their amps, could be an option in the $1k range. I heard one of the Peachtree driving the Klipsch Paladium bookshelf and even with that speaker I thought it was a warm amp.

Poultrygeist
05-03-2011, 03:52 PM
It's rare to find a used Dared 2a3 on A'gon. I never saw one the entire time I was looking. That's a good price but it sounds like he'll take even less. The Dared 2a3 for me means I'm done with amp upgrades.

Ajani
05-03-2011, 04:02 PM
It's rare to find a used Dared 2a3 on A'gon. I never saw one the entire time I was looking. That's a good price but it sounds like he'll take even less. The Dared 2a3 for me means I'm done with amp upgrades.

He's actually selling new amps, not used... I wonder whether he's an authorized dealer though...

Mr Peabody
05-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Have you had good luck with Dared? Musicdirect tried to carry the line but didn't keep them long for some reason.

Ajani
05-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Zu uses the Peachtree amps and had a Xmas package deal with one of their amps, could be an option in the $1k range. I heard one of the Peachtree driving the Klipsch Paladium bookshelf and even with that speaker I thought it was a warm amp.

I really have no idea why, but somehow the Peachtree amps have never appealed to me... Not sure whether it's the look or the use of a tube buffer than turns me off, but something about them just keeps me from being interested....

Also, since apart from the tube buffer (which many persons recommend not using) the Peachtree is a SS amp with DAC, I suspect it might be a step down from the Benchmark/Emo combo...

I figure that if I go down the Zu path, I'd best try either Class D or SET to give the Zu it's best chance to impress me...

Sticking with Revel is still the most likely option, but a Zu/Dared setup would really be intriguing....

woofersus
05-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Somebody has a Melody I2A3 for sale over on audionervosa.com for a great price if one of you are actively shopping at the moment. A couple of people on Audiocircle have used that amp with Omens and liked the pairing.

Mr Peabody
05-03-2011, 06:40 PM
I think it was Melody Zu used at CES.

I have to say the Peachtree wasn't bad but it wasn't to my taste either. The tube buffer really seemed to roll off the high end.

Poultrygeist
05-04-2011, 04:42 AM
The Melody I2a3 has received great reviews but it's a push pull and not a SET.

I've had great luck with the Dared so far and bought it new from the dealer on A'gon. I was speaking earlier of the used one that was listed yesterday.

The fact that one of the 6moon reveiwers chose the Dared as his personal amp says a lot.

woofersus
05-04-2011, 04:50 AM

I have to say the Peachtree wasn't bad but it wasn't to my taste either. The tube buffer really seemed to roll off the high end.
Yeah, they used the Melody preamp, but the ~1.5w monoblocks were another brand that I can't remember at the moment.

The Melody I2A3 was also originally reviewed by 6moons with some Zu Cable Definitions (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/melody3/i2a3.html) and the Zu Essence was reviewed with the I2A3. (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu12/presence.html) Also, Zu showed the Essence with the I2A3 at CES 2009. (http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/zu16/sidebar1.html)

I'm hoping Zu will try out the AN211 (which is SET) with their more expensive speakers for their next show since Adam loved it so much with the Omen Definitions. 6moons is going to be doing a review of that amp in the next couple of months, although I don't believe it will be paired with Zu this time.

Poultrygeist
05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Here's a review of the MiniWatt SET driving Zu's.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/miniwatt/miniwatt.html

No Cacophony Needed
05-11-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm having a Niteshade Audio NS-40 amp delivered in a couple weeks and don't anticipate any issues pairing it with my Omen Defs. I'll try to post some comments after the amp arrives and gets run through its paces.

Poultrygeist
05-11-2011, 03:51 PM
The Niteshade amps are excellent.

tube fan
05-18-2011, 08:40 PM

Yes, I agree. Just turn off the tube, and the high end is restored!
My reference Mystere Ca21 preamp and AR D70 amp are much better than the Peachtree, and, despite being all tubes, especially better in the high end. However, that comparison is not really fair. I should try out my Peachtree with my Fulton Js and Dunlavy SCIVs.

harley .guy07
05-19-2011, 09:39 PM
After all this talk about the Zu's I am going to have to plan a trip to Mr, P's house to listen to what everyone's talking about. I know the company making the drivers. Eminense has been a instrument driver company for some years now and they make a fine speaker for that and it seems that they sent a fine driver for Zu to use in their speakers. I need to get to Mr P's house and listen to them and they are probably suited perfectly for his tube system since they are higher efficiency designs that the tube world loves. It will be a pleasure in taking a trip up to Mr. Peabody's house to take a listen to these American made speakers. It is cool to see a American company come out with some affordable high end speakers again.

Poultrygeist
05-20-2011, 04:41 PM
The 10 inch Eminence as used in the Zu is highly modified vs the standard 10 inch Eminence as used in the Tekton Lore. While the Lore driver makes do with just a simple whizzer cone the Zu employs a milled billet aluminum phase plug inside the whizzer cone. The Zu driver cone is treated while the Lore cone is not.

Eminence of Kentucky is the largest speaker company in the world.

djdonis
11-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I recently transitioned from SS to tubes. I wish to thank Poultrygeist for his guidance and help in making good decisions on amps and speakers.

I currently run Zu Omens with Dared MP-2a3c in my livingroom and also a pair of Tekton OB45en with MiniWatt N3 in my bedroom. At the moment I am running my entire CD collection just to recap on what I was missing listening to my Adcoms and KEF's, which I thought to be quite decent. The difference is huge. The biggest "gasp" comes when listening to OB hybrid tektons paired with MiniWatt. One can imagine difference between SS/bass reflex and OB/tubes.

I listen to mostly classical (I'm a professional violinist :17:) and some jazz so the apparent lack of deep bottom end on tektons doesn't bother me at all.

Now, since dared arrived only a couple days ago I am still in the process of auditioning Zu's. The detail, soundstage and overall "softness" is amazing. I am still waiting for some interconnects and other things that would also enable me to also put my TT into the system.

Ajani
11-25-2011, 01:23 PM
I recently transitioned from SS to tubes. I wish to thank Poultrygeist for his guidance and help in making good decisions on amps and speakers.

I currently run Zu Omens with Dared MP-2a3c in my livingroom and also a pair of Tekton OB45en with MiniWatt N3 in my bedroom. At the moment I am running my entire CD collection just to recap on what I was missing listening to my Adcoms and KEF's, which I thought to be quite decent. The difference is huge. The biggest "gasp" comes when listening to OB hybrid tektons paired with MiniWatt. One can imagine difference between SS/bass reflex and OB/tubes.

I listen to mostly classical (I'm a professional violinist :17:) and some jazz so the apparent lack of deep bottom end on tektons doesn't bother me at all.

Now, since dared arrived only a couple days ago I am still in the process of auditioning Zu's. The detail, soundstage and overall "softness" is amazing. I am still waiting for some interconnects and other things that would also enable me to also put my TT into the system.

I think your wallet is in danger: Poultry sold his Omens in favour of a DIY OB design... Considering how impressed you are with the OB Tektons, I suspect Poultry's DIY OB is exactly what you're looking for...

Poultrygeist
11-25-2011, 05:07 PM
I sold my Zu's to my friend dj as I couldn't justify owning them any longer. It's not because they aren't great speakers which they certainly are but because I'm so into the sound of my DIY OB's which sound very different. My house is overflowing with large OB's and I was feeling some pressure from Mrs. Poultrygeist who wanted me to sell off some speakers as she hates "cluttered" rooms. I also can't build more toys without selling some toys

I've already invited dj to come over for a listen to my OB's. Being a professional violinist in several fine philharmonics he has a golden ear and I respect his opinion. He just got the deal of the century on his Dared 2A3C which was mislisted on ebay. It's the US version with 12AX7's and is better than my Chinese version.

djdonis
11-25-2011, 08:18 PM
I think your wallet is in danger: Poultry sold his Omens in favour of a DIY OB design... Considering how impressed you are with the OB Tektons, I suspect Poultry's DIY OB is exactly what you're looking for...

Nah, my wallet is in no danger, I'm also selling gear to get new gear. No danger for wallet means free gear which does not exist. As Poultry mentioned I got a fantastic deal on my dared, which looks to be in great shape as well, tektons were a bit more than the cost of drivers, good deal on Zu's as well (I don't see them second hand too often, if at all).
I wish I could start building my own speakers as well. Frugal Horns, Voigt Pipes, OB, etc. Don't have place nor time to do it yet.
All different speaker designs have their advantages and disatvantages. I like the fidelity of OB, tone of ported SD, sometimes the "beefiness" of 15" JBL driver. Speaker to me is like a music instrument that has to be matched to a particular genre of music. You wouldn't ask a violinist to play in Black Sabbath concert or electrical guitar in Baroque ensemble.

The Zu's and Tektons match my particular listening styles at the moment. Some 10-15 years ago I would have chosen Meyer Sound for my living room (I used to be a club dj at some point in the past). Now I find myself tiptoeing around 5W tubes and 4" drivers.

frenchmon
11-26-2011, 02:50 AM
Nah, my wallet is in no danger, I'm also selling gear to get new gear. No danger for wallet means free gear which does not exist. As Poultry mentioned I got a fantastic deal on my dared, which looks to be in great shape as well, tektons were a bit more than the cost of drivers, good deal on Zu's as well (I don't see them second hand too often, if at all).
I wish I could start building my own speakers as well. Frugal Horns, Voigt Pipes, OB, etc. Don't have place nor time to do it yet.
All different speaker designs have their advantages and disatvantages. I like the fidelity of OB, tone of ported SD, sometimes the "beefiness" of 15" JBL driver. Speaker to me is like a music instrument that has to be matched to a particular genre of music. You wouldn't ask a violinist to play in Black Sabbath concert or electrical guitar in Baroque ensemble.

The Zu's and Tektons match my particular listening styles at the moment. Some 10-15 years ago I would have chosen Meyer Sound for my living room (I used to be a club dj at some point in the past). Now I find myself tiptoeing around 5W tubes and 4" drivers.

Hmmmmm....may not be such a bad Idea!

Poultrygeist
11-26-2011, 04:46 AM
dj,

I know you have the Tekton OB's in your bedroom and the Zu's in your living room. Are you enjoying the Tekton's in nearfield? That was the way they worked best when I borrowed them from Adam. They sounded good on the same plane as my ears.

Are you using the backward tilt on the Zu's or did you go back to the stock feet?

djdonis
11-26-2011, 05:12 AM
The Zu's are tilted back using floor spikes. Tektons reside on 26" stands (Adam included them in the sale) so they are tilted a bit and on the ear level. Tektons are nearfield, positioned 6' apart and about 8' from my ears.

The Zu's are not properly placed, I need to place them farther apart as they are way too close together at the moment. I was re-arranging livingroom furniture, but I was intervened in the process and the setup remains at this weird position where one speaker is in the corner, the other - in the middle of the wall.

Ajani
11-26-2011, 05:07 PM

Now that's an honest response - I do believe that a lot of system changes are brought about by the simple fact that our taste in music often changes over time... So what may have been great for a person in their late teens/early twenties (for banging out to Rock and Rap), might be less than satisfying for that same person nearer to retirement (for vocals, light Jazz, etc)...

djdonis
12-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Added Virtue Audio Piano M1 CD, Monolithic Sound PS-1 w/H-1b, VPI Scout is on its way...Zu Omens better start singing (not that they have not been). All in all I'm very happy with Zu's, and Tekton OB.

Oh BTW, all the Chinese Shuguang tubes on my MiniWatt N3 crapped out within two weeks - first one of el84 (replaced with Mullards), then 12ax7...their QC is scary, hope my 2a3c's hold longer.

Poultrygeist
12-08-2011, 05:24 AM
dj,

Glad you're enjoying the Omens. Placement can be a challenge but in the right spot they're golden. The only Shuguangs I have experience with are the 2a3c. The ones that came with my Dared sounded so good in the Paramours I bought a second set. No one in the US sells them so I ended up buying them from a tube store in Canada. At $140 a pair they aren't cheap but they sound better than my vintage RCA's.

Horrible sounding Chinese tubes came in my Miniwatt S1 but I replaced them immediately with Svetlana's and Western Electric's. My Miniwatt did not even come with a power cord.

frenchmon
12-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I have been thinking hard about dropping some cash down on the Monolithic Sound PS-2 w/H-1b. How do you like your Monolithic Sound PS-1 w/H-1b?

blackraven
12-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Who's the Artist and what is the name of the song in the Zu audio Video?

Omen Def Loudspeaker | Zu Audio (http://www.zuaudio.com/omen-def-loudspeaker.php#omen-def-video.php)

Never Mind, they are called the Moth and the Flame! The song is called Entitled.

THE MOTH & THE FLAME (http://www.howwewokeup.com/#listen)

The Moth & The Flame: Thank you Utah | inyourspeakers.com (http://inyourspeakers.com/content/news/112-moth-flame-thank-you-utah-11292011)