Dismemberment Plan planning vinyl reissue of Emergency & I, reunion shows [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dismemberment Plan planning vinyl reissue of Emergency & I, reunion shows

Rae
09-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Dear Everyone,

It’s been awhile, no? We’ve been working on something for about two years now, and I’m not sure how we kept this under our hats for so long, but we did.

We’re reissuing Emergency & I on vinyl, and it’s coming out January 11th on Barsuk Records. The music was re-mastered from the original 1/2-inch tapes, keeping it analog every step of the way, and it’s going to be on 180-gram double-vinyl, four songs per side, with the fourth side being bonus tracks from hard-to-find releases. Being double vinyl, the packaging is a lovely gatefold -- with the art in the right order -- and will include an oral history of making the record, pictures from that era and of course the lyrics. Am I missing anything?

Right, shows. When getting together to sort out the re-issue, we got in the basement a few times to make noise, run through some songs, shake out some cobwebs. It felt good. So to celebrate the release of the reissue, we’re going to play a handful of shows. Unfortunately with everyone’s schedule being crazy, we only have time for a few on the East Coast. See the shows section below for more details, but we’re going to play in DC (twice), Philadelphia, Boston and New York just after the release.

And since things have changed a bit since 2003, we now have Facebook and Myspace pages, and a Twitter feed.

Tickets go on sale later this week, check the venue sites for details. We’re very excited for everyone to hear the re-masters - they sound so good!

See you at the shows,

Eric

• Friday, January 21, 2011 Washington, DC The Black Cat 1811 14th Street NW All ages show. Doors at 9PM. Tickets on sale Friday 9/17 at 12pm EST. $20
• Saturday, January 22, 2011 Washington, DC 9:30 Club 815 V Street NW All ages show. Doors at 7PM. Tickets on sale Friday 9/17 at 12pm EST. $20
• Thursday, January 27, 2011 Philadelphia, PA The Starlight Ballroom 460 North 9th Street All ages show. Doors at 7:30PM. Tickets on sale Friday 9/17 at 12pm EST. $20
• Friday, January 28, 2011 Cambridge, MA Paradise 967 Commonwealth Ave 18+ show. Doors at 8PM. Tickets on sale Friday 9/17 at 12pm EST. $20
• Saturday, January 29, 2011 New York, NY Webster Hall 125 E 11th St. 18+ show. Doors at 7PM. Tickets on sale Friday 9/17 at 12pm EST. Bowery Presents/Amex Presale Wednesday 9/15. $25

Well, I have to make the jaunt back east for this. These guys were RR faves a decade ago and I probably saw them 10+ times in that era... it seems almost strange to think about seeing them now, but I think I've gotta do it. Anyone up for a road trip/meetup? I'm open to suggestion about which date and city.

It's also cool to think about having Emergency & I on vinyl for the first time. Previously the only thing of theirs that I've had on wax was the 'Can We Be Mature?' 7" (and I don't think there was too much more that they ever pressed on vinyl... maybe there was a single for "What Do You Want Me to Say?"-- or their split with Juno...). It sounds like they're doing it right, anyway.

Pavement reunion, Dismemberment Plan reunion, GBV classic lineup, Dinosaur Jr... have I passed that point where the music of my youth can be considered "classic rock"?...

~Rae

Davey
09-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Wow, I'd def go for that vinyl. Love that record cover. Hope they do a great job, but I suspect they will. I've bought some very good vinyl from Barsuk. That John Vanderslice Pixel Revolt is totally first class.

Four months in advance for an indie band that hit big right before indie became the new alternative. Hmm, I wonder how long their legs are, be interesting to see how fast the tickets go. They may be music of your youth, but they aren't really in the league you mention. I love em, though. Just wish they had figured out what they occasionally had that made them brilliant, and used it.

Rae
09-13-2010, 02:37 PM
They may be music of your youth, but they aren't really in the league you mention. I love em, though.

Oh, I know... I just meant that these bands are all nostalgia acts now! Well, Dinosaur Jr is probably the exception to the above list... I really enjoy their new stuff, but many seminal indie bands are now playing their back catalog in big venues to 30-somethings.

~Rae

Rae
09-13-2010, 02:37 PM
30-somethings!

Davey
09-13-2010, 02:58 PM
30-somethings!
Is a congratulations in order? Or is it condolences? May your decline from 30 be as memorable as your ascent :)

Davey
09-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Gettting off on a well deserved day off with some Bridgeport India Pale Ale after working way too much, and got me some D-Plan breaking the silence, some ginger-sesame chicken on the burner, and man, this is a good record. Long overdue for vinyl release. For a fun blast from the distant past ... or maybe just an example of stagnant musical taste (can't believe I ever had that much time to listen to that much music, but it was kind of a savior, see below :)

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EECCE80.php

re: Favorite Currently Active artists... Rae
Dec 3, 2001 7:14 AM
Hey, great list Mark. I totally agree on Mr. Dylan, Radiohead, Steve Earle, Yo La Tengo... my list would also include:

*Fugazi - these guys will never have to justify anything they do. You've gotta respect a band that can stick so hard and fast to their values and back it up with worthwhile music to boot.

*Björk - she simply makes her best album every time out. With the exception of the <i>Dancer in the Dark</i> soundtrack, each of her releases has been better than the last.

*The Dismemberment Plan - I think it was Dave who called these guys "the best American band working today." Their last two albums have been stunning. They're also pretty young and could be around for a long time.

*Mos Def/Talib Kweli/Hi-Tek/Common - <i>Reflection Eternal</i>, <i>Black On Both Sides</i>, <i>Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star</i>, and <i>Like Water For Chocolate</i> are all vital documents in positive hip-hop that have been released within the past three years. I can't recall such a prolific period in the genre since the days of <i>3 Feet High and Rising</i> and <i>The Low End Theory</i> from 1988-91.

Also Sleater-Kinney, Will Oldham, Tori Amos (I'm a sucker), and many others I'll think of 5 minutes from now...

~Rae

NP: Ted Leo!!!

Oops, as usual I went a little overboard ... dbi
Dec 3, 2001 9:09 AM
I'll limit it to artists that I have at least two albums from, and I bought their last album (of new material) and would very likely buy their next album (of new material)

PJ Harvey (have em all and love em all, best artist of the 90s)
Bjork (right behind PJ in my book)
Cat Power (waiting patiently for another Moon Pix)
Mercury Rev (can't get enough bowed saw :-))
Black Heart Procession (can't get enough bowed saw :-))
Beck (who knows what he'll come up with next)
Ben Harper (like an old friend)
Massive Attack (don't know if they'll hold together long enough to finish another album)
Arto Lindsay (love the modern bossa nova sound on his last two albums, Prize and Noon Chill, and listen to them all the time)
Yo La Tengo (make it and I'll buy it)
Stereolab (a perennial favorite of mine - I haven't been enthralled with their last couple albums but the new one harkens back to Emperor Tomato Ketchup which makes it one of my favorites this year)
Flaming Lips (always entertaining and the last two established them as one of the best bands making albums today)
Tom Waits (quality is up and down but reaches brilliance often enough for me)
Califone (one EP and one full length but I love em both)
Built To Spill (Doug Martsch is one of the best pop songwriters making albums today and is easily one of the best guitarists too)
Beulah (don't know exactly what it is about these guys but I know I love it)
Wilco (Jeff Tweedy is also one of the best pop songwriters)
Joe Henry (unlike anyone elsse - makes wonderful music in his own genre)
Gillian Welch (always lovely and heartfelt music)
Low (consistently high quality music album to album)
Lucinda Williams (music that dreams are made of)
Luna (can do no wrong :-))
Jim O'Rourke (two outstanding albums in a row plus a great EP)
Cibo Matto (where are my favorite Japanese dynamic duo lately?)
Eleni Mandell (give me more)
Laika (most original electronica stuff of the 90s)
Sparklehorse (pretty and twisted)
Dismemberment Plan (best working American band :-))
Tindersticks (a career of high quality Scott Walker type melancholy now bolstered with a big dose of R&B)
Gorky's Zygotic Mynci (might hold off on another unless they change a bit but can't be beat for relaxing in the big chair))
The Microphones (I don't know who's weirder, Phil Elvrum for writing this crazy stuff or me for loving it so much :-))
Bob Dylan (always a favorite and while I don't appreciate the new one as much as TOOM yet, it sure is good)
Steve Earle (have his last few and have really enjoyed them but don't know if I would buy another or not)

Guess that's enough for now :-)

Rae
09-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Hahahaha... I said that Tori Amos was one of the best working artists in 2001!

Is a congratulations in order?

Not quite yet... but it's looming!

~Rae

Stone
09-14-2010, 04:05 AM
I was at their "final" show in DC. What's with all these reunion shows?