AC Conditioners --- anybody use one? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AC Conditioners --- anybody use one?

Tarheel_
09-10-2010, 04:36 AM
I have an older HK receiver which i love. Problem is when i get a power surge/spike (happens more than i like) it erases all my memory settings. This is more of a HK design flaw than anything.

Question is....would one of the these conditions/filters solve my problem? Two, do they really clean up the sound by supplying full elect. power?

There are a few at Crutchfield marked down and seem reasonable, but i don't want to throw any money at snake oil, if this is the case.

pixelthis
09-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I have an older HK receiver which i love. Problem is when i get a power surge/spike (happens more than i like) it erases all my memory settings. This is more of a HK design flaw than anything.

Question is....would one of the these conditions/filters solve my problem? Two, do they really clean up the sound by supplying full elect. power?

There are a few at Crutchfield marked down and seem reasonable, but i don't want to throw any money at snake oil, if this is the case.

Well, you need a power strip, might as well get a good one.
Don't think one will stop power spikes, need an APS for that(basically a big battery) like
computers use. IF YOUR POWER IS REALLY nasty you might get some benefit, but most
of the little nasties will be filtered out by the power supply, or should, anyway.
And heres a little secret about power strips, they won't even slow down lighting, if you get hit by that, its all she wrote. MAINLY these are for huge surges that sometimes happen in
electrical systems, not totally safe, but all you have. SOME CLAIM that power
"conditioners" have some benefit, but this isn't supported by science.
THEY do look cool, however.:1:

E-Stat
09-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I have an older HK receiver which i love. Problem is when i get a power surge/spike (happens more than i like) it erases all my memory settings...Question is....would one of the these conditions/filters solve my problem?
It is more likely that a momentary brown out is causing the memory loss. You need an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) that will maintain voltage during those periods. I use one with my computer.

Two, do they really clean up the sound by supplying full elect. power?
What conditioners do is filter the large amount of digital trash thrown back into your power line by a host of computerized devices which use switching power supplies. The result is a quieter background. Depending upon what you listen to, that may or may not be of value to you.

rw

Mr Peabody
09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I've had good results using the PS Audio Quintet. It runs about $495.00 and not too bad considering ten outlets. The Quintet protects against spikes and dips but rather than being able to generate power it will just shut down to protect the gear if the voltage goes too high or too low. Regenerating power that truly works is very expensive. The Quintet also does filtering. It also includes the cable and phone input/output.

A Monster dealer told me that there most expensive units work, I believe he said it has to have their Stage 3 filtering to really make a difference.

What brands is Crutchfield selling?

Nasir
09-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Personally, I would go with a minimum UPS battery support. A small cheap unit just to keep the data. If you have a UPS for the computer, try that first.... after all not all spikes and surges are the same everywhere...

Nasir
09-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Personally, I would go with a minimum UPS battery support. A small cheap unit just to keep the data. If you have a UPS for the computer, try that first.... after all not all spikes and surges are the same everywhere...http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/eek6.gif