dts cd not dvd one more format?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : dts cd not dvd one more format??

lomarica
09-08-2010, 07:32 PM
I found out via another discussion group for my car that it should play a dts cd. This is a 5.1 cd format. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was told my car unit which plays DVD-A but not SCAD will play the dts-cd disks and should sound great.

I really do not to buy one more format but my home stereo has dts and scad so it should play the dts cd's right?

finally any suggestions on where to by amazon had only a few dts cd's

thanks for any comments

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-09-2010, 09:45 AM
I found out via another discussion group for my car that it should play a dts cd. This is a 5.1 cd format. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was told my car unit which plays DVD-A but not SCAD will play the dts-cd disks and should sound great.

I really do not to buy one more format but my home stereo has dts and scad so it should play the dts cd's right?

thanks for any comments

I have quite a few Dts CD, but I cannot play them in my car because my car stereo doesn't have a Dts decoder, and I don't know of any car stereo that does. If you have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Surround-Decoder-Processor-Changer/dp/B00097A4E6

Then perhaps you could playback Dts CD in your car, otherwise unless the head unit has a decoder, you are out of luck.

pixelthis
09-09-2010, 10:43 AM

thanks for any comments

if your car unit plays DVD it will play DTS CD. If not get one of those decoders Talkys talkin bout. BUT I wouldn't bother if you don't have any DTS CD 's already. THEY SOUND QUITE GOOD, but you probably won't benefit in a automobile environment.:1:

kelsci
09-09-2010, 11:34 AM
My friend drives an Acura. The entertainment system had a DTS logo. I advised him that I believe that unit should play DTS discrete surround sound discs. I had a few in my house and took out one(I think it was the Moody Blues). It in fact played fine in his vehicle. I also think that the system was equipped with Dolby Pro-Logic 2 as well.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-12-2010, 01:16 PM
My friend drives an Acura. The entertainment system had a DTS logo. I advised him that I believe that unit should play DTS discrete surround sound discs. I had a few in my house and took out one(I think it was the Moody Blues). It in fact played fine in his vehicle. I also think that the system was equipped with Dolby Pro-Logic 2 as well.

He has a high end car system then, because the Dts format is not widely spread in the auto market, especially from the manufacturer(and neither is PL II for that matter). You usually have to get both of these in the after market.

eisforelectronic
09-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Acura's had DTS systems as a stock option. Volvo has PLII as an option. Lincoln has THX.

jvc
09-12-2010, 07:03 PM
This is a 5.1 cd format.
DTS doesn't automatically mean 5.1 surround, although it usually does.
I saw a blu ray movie (forget the title, might have been Chevy Chase's "Vacation") and it's soundtrack was dtsHD Master 1.0...........That's mono. :) Why bother?

kelsci
09-12-2010, 07:36 PM
JVC is correct. I remember reading a review of the BD disc of that movie and that is the only soundtrack it has. Nobody put in the monies to convert it into 5.1 track or did not seem to need too. It is wise to lookover a BD disc of primarily older films to see what kind of sound they contain before purchasing.

Yes TT. I would definetely call it a high end sound system in that Acura. The DTS logo was prominently displayed on the radio itself and I think DPL-2 as well. I off hand cannot remember whose high end system it was but it did have multiple speakers around the car.

pixelthis
09-13-2010, 02:41 AM
DTS doesn't automatically mean 5.1 surround, although it usually does.
I saw a blu ray movie (forget the title, might have been Chevy Chase's "Vacation") and it's soundtrack was dtsHD Master 1.0...........That's mono. :) Why bother?

Why bother watching this movie at all?
Nope, nobodies ever going to put a decent soundtrack on a movie headed straight to the bargain bin.:1:

jvc
09-13-2010, 02:49 AM
It's a good movie. We like all the Vacation movies, especially this one and Christmas Vacation........ :)

pixelthis
09-13-2010, 02:51 AM
It's a good movie. We like all the Vacation movies, especially this one and Christmas Vacation........ :)

NOT ALL of us do.
Cristie BRINKLEY and BEVERLEY DEANGELO,
That was about it.:1:

kelsci
09-13-2010, 09:26 AM
It is very funny how we people associate a "something" with a "something". The minute we see DTS or D.D., we think that a 5.1 sound track is on the disc. This same phenomena occurs when one works in an office where one wants to make a photocopy, but instead of saying photocopy, they will say "make a xerox" even though the copying machine could be from any list of manufacturers other than Xerox sitting there on the floor.

pixelthis
09-14-2010, 11:49 AM
It is very funny how we people associate a "something" with a "something". The minute we see DTS or D.D., we think that a 5.1 sound track is on the disc. This same phenomena occurs when one works in an office where one wants to make a photocopy, but instead of saying photocopy, they will say "make a xerox" even though the copying machine could be from any list of manufacturers other than Xerox sitting there on the floor.

MOST DTS or DD is 5.1, although you can collapse it into two channel.
When I play my one DTS cd the player says two channel, but the receiver says 5.1,
so confusion is reasonable.
THESE DTS Cd'S are kind of misleading anyway, they try to come across as a
high res format, but they are lossy.
THEY SOUND GOOD, but not as much as a regular plain old CD.:1:

E-Stat
09-14-2010, 01:59 PM
He has a high end car system then, because the Dts format is not widely spread in the auto market, especially from the manufacturer(and neither is PL II for that matter).
I too, have an Acura ('04 TL). It came standard with a Panasonic ELS system which indeed plays multi-channel DVD-A and DTS. One of these days, I guess I should listen to the demo disk that was included. :)

rw

kelsci
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Pixelthis; I prefer the regular CD myself overall. I believe I do have 2 discs of some big band something in a regular CD and a DTS 5.1 CD. I have not played both in some time so I cannot positively recall which was better. If I thought that the DTS CD was all that great, I think I would have remembered so.

The other night I was also thinking of another comparison similar to my expression on "xerox". It is high-definition itself. When one thinks of high-def, they think everything is a wide screen movie. Of course many movies were filmed in 4X3 and studios that may possess the original or close to original negative or prints that were on film are capable of being transferred into the digital disc high-definition genure but in their 4X3 aspect ratios. I believe that Waner Bros. released some of their older films photographed in Black and White in the 4X3 ratio on BD discs but I cannot recall the titles.

pixelthis
09-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Hi Pixelthis; I prefer the regular CD myself overall. I believe I do have 2 discs of some big band something in a regular CD and a DTS 5.1 CD. I have not played both in some time so I cannot positively recall which was better. If I thought that the DTS CD was all that great, I think I would have remembered so.

The other night I was also thinking of another comparison similar to my expression on "xerox". It is high-definition itself. When one thinks of high-def, they think everything is a wide screen movie. Of course many movies were filmed in 4X3 and studios that may possess the original or close to original negative or prints that were on film are capable of being transferred into the digital disc high-definition genure but in their 4X3 aspect ratios. I believe that Waner Bros. released some of their older films photographed in Black and White in the 4X3 ratio on BD discs but I cannot recall the titles.

I believe Casablanca was one of those, and the DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.
I watched a Ray Harryhouse BLU disc, twenty million miles to earth, earth vs the Flying
Saucers is also on BLU, haven't seen it yet.
B&W stuff looks just as good as color on BLU, BTW:1: