Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater.

ForeverAutumn
09-08-2010, 05:06 PM
This is not a joke. From the forum on his website...

Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...
Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,
MP

CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

I just can't imagine DT without Portnoy. I'm mourning. :sad:

poppachubby
09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Wow. Thanks for the detailed post FA. Ya that's nuts alright, it's like Sabbath without Ozzy. It will be interesting to seehow it pans out for both parties, and if they get back together.

kexodusc
09-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Yeah, this kinda sucks. These guys are one of my all-time favs, there aren't many I've heard that I liked more.

Player turnover and eventually the end of DT is just the natural order of things I guess - deep down, I think it's just a matter of time until he's back, if not, I've got tons of great music out of the band so I won't be crying. Like FA, I can't imagine DT without MP, but we'll see how they do.

Funny how it's always such a big deal when musicians leave the band. If I wrote a letter like that to my clients or co-workers my boss would say "make sure you clean out your desk drawers of any personal effects, the cleaners trash everything".

MasterCylinder
09-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Sounds like another case of childish internecine squabble...............go get another tatoo................idiot.

ForeverAutumn
09-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Posted today on the Roadrunner Records site (DT's label):

In the wake of Mike Portnoy’s announcement that he is leaving Dream Theater, the remaining members of the band have issued the following statement about the matter:

To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with profound sadness -- regret -- we announce that Mike Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has decided to leave Dream Theater. Mike's stature in the band has meant the world to all of us professionally, musically, and personally over the years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major force within this band.

While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other ventures and challenges, we can assure you that Dream Theater will continue to move forward with the same intensity -- and in the same musical tradition -- that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

Fans and friends: File this episode under "Black Clouds and Silver Linings."As planned, we begin recording our newest album in January 2011, and we'll follow that with a full-on world tour. "The Spirit Carries On."

All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike the best on his musical journey. We have had a long and meaningful career together. It is our true hope that he finds all he is looking for, and that he achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be missed.

Snowbunny
09-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Funny how it's always such a big deal when musicians leave the band. If I wrote a letter like that to my clients or co-workers my boss would say "make sure you clean out your desk drawers of any personal effects, the cleaners trash everything".

Snarf! That quote made me laugh out loud! (Somehow heheh... just didn't reflect my level of amusement.)

I can't think of any Dream Theater songs I've heard. All the same Autumn's post made me kind of sad. It always resonates deeply with the fans when an original member leaves any band.

I'll have to check my old RR CD's and see if there's any DT.

Snowie

Finch Platte
09-09-2010, 09:29 AM
I think ol' Mike just realized how sucky the singer was & was too nice to say anything.

Stone
09-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Who??

Snowbunny
09-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I think ol' Mike just realized how sucky the singer was & was too nice to say anything.

Who??

Oh, they're a prog band, eh? :biggrin5:

3LB
09-09-2010, 10:38 AM
who will they get to over-drum for them?

maybe Neal Morse converted him

heh heh

If this is some sort of harbinger of the eventual end of DT, then so be it. They've repeated themselves on the last four albums, IMO. That is not to downplay their importance to Prog and metal. DT has had a great run, surviving the wane of heavy metal (to near extinction) long enough to be considered keepers of the flame and integral to its resurgence.

But then again, other members have come and gone and DT kept going. Drummers aren't impossible to find... maybe they could recruit that dude from Mastodon.

kexodusc
09-09-2010, 11:03 AM
But then again, other members have come and gone and DT kept going. Drummers aren't impossible to find... maybe they could recruit that dude from Mastodon.
I heard Meg White was gonna be the new drummer....

ForeverAutumn
09-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Now that's funny! :lol:

Finch Platte
09-09-2010, 11:41 AM

Ringo!!!!

Swish
09-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Forgive me Mr. Roth.

Troy
09-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Forgive me Mr. Roth.

Sock humping jagoff. Oh, sorry.

MasterCylinder
10-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Visited the DT webpage earlier today............all links to Portnoy have been removed.

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Word is that that they have seven drummers that they are auditioning.

MasterCylinder
10-12-2010, 06:33 AM
While I completely understand and appreciate what Mike Portnoy can do with the drum set, I suspect that no matter who is chosen by Dream Theater as the new drummer, their music will soon be more "musical".
I think most, if not everyone, at this board believes that the percussion on some of the DT songs is overplayed............a few to the point of "because I can"............and in some cases it actually detracts (or distracts) from the aggregate presentation.

I'm wondering if Portnoy's politics within DT was also overplayed.

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2010, 07:32 AM
While I completely understand and appreciate what Mike Portnoy can do with the drum set, I suspect that no matter who is chosen by Dream Theater as the new drummer, their music will soon be more "musical".
I think most, if not everyone, at this board believes that the percussion on some of the DT songs is overplayed............a few to the point of "because I can"............and in some cases it actually detracts (or distracts) from the aggregate presentation.

I'm wondering if Portnoy's politics within DT was also overplayed.

My biggest problem with Portnoy wasn't his drumming but the way the drums were mixed into the CDs. Portnoy and Petrucci mixed the CDs and, as a result, drums and guitar were at the forefront while the bass and keyboards suffered. It'll be interesting to see whether this mix changes on their next release.

When I first heard that Portnoy was leaving the band I was shocked and upset. I'm still somewhat shocked, but no longer upset. Now I'm just very curious to see where the band goes from here.

MasterCylinder
10-12-2010, 08:18 AM
When I first heard that Portnoy was leaving the band I was shocked and upset. I'm still somewhat shocked, but no longer upset. Now I'm just very curious to see where the band goes from here.

Got any insight to who those seven candidates might be ?
Terry Bozzio......Gavin Harrison......Simon Phillips......Chris Maitland......Rod Morganstern......Dave Weckl......Vinnie Colauita......just to think of a few.

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2010, 08:53 AM
There was an interview with LaBrie where he made the comment about auditioning the seven but he didn't state any names.

Just in coversations between Hubby and I, Bozzio and Harrison were both mentioned right away. I've seen other people mention Weckl and Maitland, among others. But its all just speculation.

MasterCylinder
10-12-2010, 08:58 AM
There was an interview with LaBrie where he made the comment about auditioning the seven but he didn't state any names.

Just in coversations between Hubby and I, Bozzio and Harrison were both mentioned right away. I've seen other people mention Weckl and Maitland, among others. But its all just speculation.

I have a DVD of a TOTO concert with Simon Phillips at the drum set............technically solid, very musical, good imagination..........I like it.
Just from the standpoint of making the band more musical, I would prefer some of the names over others............Harrison would be excellent too, but he has a great gig with WIlson.

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Harrison would be excellent too, but he has a great gig with WIlson.

You think so? If you could play 2,000 seat concert halls or 10,000 seat amphitheatre's, which would you choose? :D

I've seen both PT and DT in concert several times. As much as I love PT they're little league IMO.

MasterCylinder
10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
You think so? If you could play 2,000 seat concert halls or 10,000 seat amphitheatre's, which would you choose? :D

I've seen both PT and DT in concert several times. As much as I love PT they're little league IMO.

Funny you say that............both times I've seen DT, it was a small venue............the first was an outdoor ampitheater and they played SIX DEGREES before the intermission and TRAIN OF THOUGHT after............needless to say, it was a killer show.

Second time was a small venue in Chicago and they played alot of SCENES FROM A MEMORY, OCTAVARIUM and all of SYSTEMATIC CHAOS...........also cool.

3LB
10-12-2010, 09:19 AM
I have a DVD of a TOTO concert with Simon Phillips at the drum set............technically solid, very musical, good imagination..........I like it.
Just from the standpoint of making the band more musical, I would prefer some of the names over others............Harrison would be excellent too, but he has a great gig with WIlson.
Chris Maitland sounds like a good choice. I can't imagine Harrison leaving PT. I guess it depends on whether they want a 'name' or not. DT, being the musical mimmicks that they are, another drummer might usher in a new sound. Maybe they'll do one of those stoner acid rock albums.

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Maybe they'll do one of those stoner acid rock albums.

Dooooood! That'd be sooooooo WICKED!!! :3:

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Funny you say that............both times I've seen DT, it was a small venue............the first was an outdoor ampitheater and they played SIX DEGREES before the intermission and TRAIN OF THOUGHT after............needless to say, it was a killer show.

Second time was a small venue in Chicago and they played alot of SCENES FROM A MEMORY, OCTAVARIUM and all of SYSTEMATIC CHAOS...........also cool.

Both bands have grown.

The first two times that I saw DT (2002/03) were small venues, 2,000 to 2,500 people. But the next three were much larger. I'd say 8,000 to 10,000 tickets sold.

The first time that I saw PT (In Absentia tour) was in a tiny club and there were probably less than 200 people there. The last time I saw them (The Indident tour) they sold out a 1,200 seat venue.

Troy
10-12-2010, 01:23 PM

It's funny you mention this today. I tivo'd a Toto concert from Directv's home channel recently and watched it last night. Recorded in Paris? Without knowing who was in the band and not seeing him for over 20 years I immediately picked out Simon Phillips, his playing style is so distinctive. The guy is a monster. What is he, in his mid-60s now? And he's able to play so hard and yet, so musically? Wow. Too bad the rest of the concert was so hokey and lame. Most of the songs were like 80s Michael McDonald songs. As a whole, the concert kinda made me throw up in my mouth a little. Thank god I had the ability to FF. Still, Phillips kept me from turning it off entirely.

I just don't see him in a crappy cornball band like Dream Theater. But who knows, he was whoring himself out to Toto, so why not?

MasterCylinder
10-13-2010, 04:38 AM
I just don't see him in a crappy cornball band like Dream Theater. But who knows, he was whoring himself out to Toto, so why not?

Have sticks; will travel.
The guy is a mercenary.
Hey Troy.........another guy I just thought of..........if I was DT, I would want to take a serious look at Chad Wackerman.

ForeverAutumn
10-13-2010, 06:06 AM
.......if I was DT, I would want to take a serious look at Chad Wackerman.

I don't know who Chad Wackerman is, but a drummer named Wackerman has got to be alllllllright. :D

MasterCylinder
10-13-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't know who Chad Wackerman is, but a drummer named Wackerman has got to be alllllllright. :D

Exactly !!!
You are not the first one to say that, FA.
Chad has played with all types of artists and all types of styles; he is one of those prodigy-guys that, reportedly, studied a while at the North Texas' school of jazz.
He has played with anybody from Zappa to Babs Streisand.............I mention those two because they have also remarked on the "great name for a drummer".

Swish
10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Word is that that they have seven drummers that they are auditioning.

Just wondering.

3LB
10-13-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't know who Chad Wackerman is, but a drummer named Wackerman has got to be alllllllright. :Dexcept for prog, he'd need to change his name to Wankerman ;)

MasterCylinder
10-14-2010, 04:09 AM
except for prog, he'd need to change his name to Wankerman ;)

LOL !
Seven drummers drumming.........and now this..........

The clever factor just went up at this board.

Troy
10-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Maybe DT would be good if they had 7 drummers.

FA, here's Wackerman:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wtv7_Unohs8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wtv7_Unohs8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Simon Phillips though, man, this guy is something else:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/81Jr4kcZHIk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/81Jr4kcZHIk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

MasterCylinder
10-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Troy.................that solo from SP is certified killer............amazing feel.

I found him on Wiki............he was born February, 1957........so, not as old as some might think.

ForeverAutumn
10-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Wackerman's drum kit is way to small for him to be taken seriously. :lol:

Both are excellent. Very different styles based on those videos. I must say that I enjoyed Phillips video a lot more than Wackerman's, but it could just be those specific pieces.

MasterCylinder
10-19-2010, 08:45 AM
From MusicRadar.com................

John Myung on being named greatest bassist of all time: "This is very heavy"
Plus, Dream Theater man on life without Portnoy

Joe Bosso, Tue 28 Sep 2010, 4:54 pm BST

More so than any other member, you're bound to be impacted by a new drummer - after all, the rhythm section is the bedrock of a group. Are you excited to play with somebody new?

"I'd say we're all impacted, because we all interact with the rhythms. So this isn't going to affect me more than anybody else, really. Creatively, the Dream Theater process has always been extremely collaborative - there's always been plenty of input from everybody - so when working with somebody new, we're going to have to look for those common ground points that we have. A new member will be influential, no doubt. Hopefully, new directions will open up. I think it can be cool."

It has been suggested that Mike may change his mind in a year or so, that he might want to rejoin. If so, would you welcome him back with open arms, or do you see this as a necessary, clean break?

"Anything is possible. But right now, the band is focused on finding a new member to get in the studio with. We want to make a great record that we're happy with and have a great next tour. That's what we do, and that's what we're looking at."

Any last words for all the fans and readers who voted for you in such huge numbers?

"I feel fortunate to have won this award. Playing bass and being a musician is an important part of who I am, and to have the people's support, it's the best. And to up-and-coming players, I'd just like to tell them to be psyched about what they're doing musically. Put in the time, be as good as you can be… and I'll be doing the same!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ForeverAutumn
10-19-2010, 09:37 AM
It sounds like they're looking for a new band member as opposed to a short term replacement. I think that's good news. It would be difficult to move forward in any positive way if they're just sitting around hoping and waiting for Mike to come to his senses. Sounds to me like Mike's out. No bridges burning, but moving on.

Thanks for posting that.

MasterCylinder
10-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks for posting that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome, FA.
I found it interesting that it came from Myung (who never talks).

Swish
10-19-2010, 12:32 PM
From MusicRadar.com................

John Myung on being named greatest bassist of all time: "This is very heavy"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone calling a musician 'the greatest of all time' needs to get a life. There's no possible way to quantify it and it always irks me when I see something like that, especially when it's Neal Peart being called the greatest drummer. Heck, he's not even in the top 100.

Swish - in a mood

MasterCylinder
10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Anyone calling a musician 'the greatest of all time' needs to get a life. There's no possible way to quantify it and it always irks me when I see something like that, especially when it's Neal Peart being called the greatest drummer. Heck, he's not even in the top 100.

Swish - in a mood

Pot -- meet kettle.

ForeverAutumn
10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Blah, blah, blah. Neal Peart. blah, blah.

Oh come on. You're totally not qualified to make that comment. When was the last time you saw Peart drum?

FA - mood schmood. Bring it, gramps!!!!