Question regarding the switch on Allison Four [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the switch on Allison Four

phileserver39
09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey all! First, I would like to say how much I enjoy this website and the fact that you all are so generous in sharing your knowledge. It does humble me when I realize how much I have to learn!

My question is this: what does the switch on the back of my Allison Four speakers do? The three positions (left to right) read: Flat----Int. Slope---Concert Slope. I can surmise that the "Flat" setting does nothing to the signal. I have switched the thing and only hear a slight difference between the three. The speakers are in a poor spot in the room (in a narrow spot in front of bay-type windows. They basically are each kind of wedged in the corner but they are acoustic suspension type so it isn't as crucial as it would be if they were ported. I guess my point is that their positioning is most likely keeping me from getting the true effect of this switch. I bought these speakers for $5 last November and have had to have the tweeters replaced and the woofers reconed and refoamed.

On a side note, could I replace the tweeters with something of higher quality so long as they fit comfortably within the crossover specs? The shop replaced them with some circa $25 a piece Audax units from Madisound. What would you guys suggest for around $300 total (I need 4 tweeters).

Thanks!

cjpremierfour
09-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Check your messages.

phileserver39
09-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Howdy CJ. Any advice on some kick-ass replacement tweets for the $25 Audax I have in there now? You are the shiznitz btw. :)