OSI Original [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OSI Original

MasterCylinder
09-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Been listening to the original OSI release lately.
For those of us that understand the moments of torture mixed in with the moments of brilliance from Kevin Moore / Chroma Key, this is a really cool piece of work.
Moore provides his surreal synth backgrounds and vocals with some remarkable editing for a cool production. Matheos gives excellent guitar while Portnoy displays some unusual restraint (not over the top for a change) to chip in solid drumming.
Worth another listen if you haven't in a while..................

OFFICE OF STRATEGIC INFLUENCE (2003)
Order from OSI/Burning Shed

1. The New Math (what he said) 2. OSI
3. When You're Ready 4. Horseshoes And B-52's
5. Head 6. Hello, Helicopter! 7. ShutDOWN
8. Dirt From A Holy Place 9. Memory Daydreams Lapses
10. Standby (looks like rain)

Limited Edition (CD above + extra CD with 3 more tracks and 3 videos)

1. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (08:49)
2. New Mama (02:22)
3. The Thing That Never Was (17:21)

"Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" is a Pink Floyd cover performed by Kevin Moore and Mike Portnoy. "New Mama" is a Neil Young cover performed by Kevin Moore. "The Thing That Never Was" is the original "Looks Like Rain" demo performed by Jim Matheos and Mike Portnoy.

The Multimedia Section is approximately 19 minutes long and includes a concept piece directed and edited by Kevin Moore for "Horsehoes and B-52s" as well as two separate documentary style clips shot at Carriage House Studios during the recording of the album.

Troy
09-08-2010, 08:38 AM
moments of torture mixed in with the moments of brilliance from Kevin Moore / Chroma Key.

That pretty much sums it up.

This album is pretty solid, all the way through.

3LB
09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Pretty much a one-off from an actual assembled band. The follow-up from '06, Free, was much different. Even though Portnoy and the bassist are mentioned on the front sticker, this is pretty much a Chroma Key album with Moore and Maethos doing everything. Portnoy is but a speck on it. I think Portnoy showed unusual restraint on the first one because of editing and/or direction. I liked about half of Free. Bought last year's Blood, thought it sucked, traded it.

MasterCylinder
09-09-2010, 04:08 AM
I think Portnoy showed unusual restraint on the first one because of editing and/or direction. I liked about half of Free. Bought last year's Blood, thought it sucked, traded it.

On the Portnoy, yes.............Moore's edits or direction...........and it worked very well.
The video reflects that they had one day to go over the charts and get the feel and then recorded the next day............it could also be that Portnoy is too busy reading and counting to get too inventive..............almost no rehearsal time.
Portnoy does not display that restraint enough on his DT releases...........many times, it is so overplayed ("because I can") that it borders on dominance and the music suffers.

I have not heard any of the other OSI CDs..............after buying three Chroma Key releases, my guess would have been exactly as you describe.
Is BLOOD the one with the drummer from Porky Tree ?

Finch Platte
09-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Is BLOOD the one with the drummer from Porky Tree ?

Yup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_(band)

Wanna trade? :2:

3LB
09-14-2010, 09:54 PM
after this thread popped up I decided to whip it out this weekend (the CD) and gave it some spins. Still grips, still sounds excellent, still one of the better examples of modern prog noir. And still better than anything put out under the OSI label. I sure hope Moore makes his way back to this style again some day.

MasterCylinder
09-15-2010, 04:20 AM
after this thread popped up I decided to whip it out this weekend (the CD) and gave it some spins. Still grips, still sounds excellent, still one of the better examples of modern prog noir. And still better than anything put out under the OSI label. I sure hope Moore makes his way back to this style again some day.

"............moments of torture mixed in with the moments of brilliance from Kevin Moore / Chroma Key".
That pretty much sums it up.
This album is pretty solid, all the way through.

As you, Troy and I agree (along with countless others, I'm guessing), provisions from Kevin Moore are so frustrating that I believe this original OSI release is the best you are going to get............I hope someday he proves me wrong.

BarryL
09-22-2010, 05:57 AM
My preference here was always for the cut and paste instrumental on the bonus disk, The Thing That Never Was. Nonetheless, it's a rockin', very modern prog work.

MasterCylinder
10-14-2010, 04:12 AM
My preference here was always for the cut and paste instrumental on the bonus disk, The Thing That Never Was. Nonetheless, it's a rockin', very modern prog work.

After you mentioned this, I got the second disc in the changer and have been listening to everything over and over..............I'm not sure that the instrumental version is the "cut and paste"........could be the opposite.

BarryL
10-18-2010, 05:59 AM
Assumed it was a studio jigsaw, but maybe not. It sure sounds seamless. Either way, I find it thoroughly enjoyable.

MasterCylinder
10-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Assumed it was a studio jigsaw, but maybe not. It sure sounds seamless. Either way, I find it thoroughly enjoyable.

Me too............what throws me is that the CD jacket describes the instrumental on the bonus disc as "Original Demo"............if that is the original recording and then Kevin Moore took it and created the OSI as we know it, then I'm also extremely impressed with his studio imagination.