Speakers in large hall [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers in large hall

clear_skies
09-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for information on adding about 6 speakers in a large hall in my local school for a TV. At the moment it is quite difficult to hear the TV around the hall, so I think about 6 speakers could be added around the hall. Could anyone give me some advice?

Thanks in advance

02audionoob
09-06-2010, 03:58 PM
A single cluster, as high as possible, is often the best solution. What are the dimensions of the hall, including height?

http://www.rainontheinternet.com/MARTEK/church1.jpg

markw
09-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Assuming basic mono, sound reinforcement use, three speakers on each side starting slightly in front of the first row, fairly evenly spaced, and ending about 1/4 the way from the back wall, angled slightly down,towards the farthest opposite seats and towards the opposite rear corner should provide fairly even coverage.

Don't skimp on the power!

Mr Peabody
09-07-2010, 05:55 AM
If it's a large hall and six speaker required you might want to look at using a Bogen amp or similar and running 70 volt line and speakers. This way no worry about impedance and you can use as many speakers as you want or some day expand. Many time when using multiple speakers it's much easier with 70v set up than trying to work to keep impedance stable with consumer gear. You will have to consult a music or sound reinforcement company to find 70v gear.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for information on adding about 6 speakers in a large hall in my local school for a TV. At the moment it is quite difficult to hear the TV around the hall, so I think about 6 speakers could be added around the hall. Could anyone give me some advice?

Thanks in advance

You absolutely need room deminsions(i.e. width, length, ceiling height, overall shape) before any educated answer can be given. With the information you have given, any answer at this point is an uneducated guess.

clear_skies
09-10-2010, 04:57 AM
Hi all,

Sorry about the late reply I didn't get notifications of replys. Anyway the hall is 36 feet by 84 feet, and its 11 feet high. The speakers are needed in a school canteen and will be used with a 42 inch tv, nothing over the top is required so please no top of the range systems. The speakers will have to be moved in a year or two when the school is rebuilt so if you can suggest something simple and practical it would be great.

Thanks

Mr Peabody
09-10-2010, 03:14 PM
The Bogen amp and 70 volt line and speakers is a very common set up. May not be the cheapest but it can be expanded to halls and rooms even in the new school. It's more of a professional application.

You could check with a music store and see what a pair of powered speakers might run to hook up to the TV. this may be a simpler approach.

clear_skies
09-11-2010, 02:54 AM
The Bogen amp and 70 volt line and speakers is a very common set up. May not be the cheapest but it can be expanded to halls and rooms even in the new school. It's more of a professional application.

You could check with a music store and see what a pair of powered speakers might run to hook up to the TV. this may be a simpler approach.

Thanks for the reply. Are there any websites you could recommend that I could check out? I'm in Ireland so a site that could deliver here would be perfect.

Mr Peabody
09-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Here's the Bogen website. If it looks like it might work you will have to do an internet search to see where available to you.
http://www.bogen.com/

This link is to a store I'm familiar with. This is the "live sound" page where you can view some amps and speakers. The powered speakers I mentioned will probably be under the "recording" link. If you want to cover the entire hall 38x84 you will need some pro gear to do it right.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Sound-Pro-Audio.gc

The Bogen with a 70 volt set up will allow you to string as many speakers as you want with out worrying about impedance or if the amp can handle it. In addition, it will allow PA features and you can expand as far throughout the school as you wish. Plus with multiple speakers the volume can be reasonable level because speakers are dispersed throughout the venue. With an amp and speaker set up the volume will have to be pretty loud to carry across the hall. You could daisy chain some speakers though which would help deal with that. Hopefully this will give you an idea of what is available. I really think you are better off going one of these directions opposed to consumer stereo type gear.

clear_skies
09-11-2010, 10:21 AM
How about these speakers? http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/PA/Speakers/Behringer-1C-WH-Monitor-Speakers-ultra-compact-white/art-PAH0005483-000

I'm thinking maybe 6 of those speakers, but I'm not sure which amp would suit? How about this http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/PA/Power-amplifiers/Fame-AMP-600-2x-300-Watt-/-4-Ohm/art-PAH0006855-000

Mr Peabody
09-11-2010, 10:35 AM
The name is well known but I don't have any experience with the speakers. I'd check with the dealer to see what amp they recommend and if the speakers can be daisy chained and if the amp will drive six of them.