LED TVs overtaking CCFL LCD panels [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LED TVs overtaking CCFL LCD panels

Smokey
09-02-2010, 04:01 PM
LCD TV panel makers are targeting aggressive growth for LED panels, with Samsung and Sharp aiming to ship more LED-based LCD TVs than CCFL panels in the fourth quarter of this year, states the report. And prices will continue to drop

Manufacturers of LED panels plan to reach 40 percent LED penetration in the fourth quarter this year, and to exceed 50 percent in quarter two of 2011, adds the report. Penetration is highest among leading LCD TV panel makers, including Samsung, LG Display, AUO, Sharp, and Chimei Innolux.

“LCD TV panel prices fell quickly in Q3’10 due to oversupply and inventory adjustments downstream. However, LED panel prices are falling even faster than CCFL,” notes David Hsieh, Vice President of the Greater China Market for DisplaySearch.

DisplaySearch also found that many system integrators or brands that have their own LCD module assemblies are also buying LCD cells from panel makers such as Chimei Innolux and AUO, and then assembling the LED backlight with their own design.

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/quarterly_led_backlight_panel_shipment_report.asp

pixelthis
09-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Not surprized, having seen the new led models. I ALSO watched a show, "slice",
where they cut a sony Bravia in half, buncha small fl's in a light box with a difuser,
seems like it would be more complicated to make, and more expensive.
And while these sets look good, price is the driving factor, I SAW A 47" Samsung LED
today, eleven hundred bucks.
Another factor in price, a lot of 2d sets are in the pipeline, so maybe 3D will have some purpose, lowering the price of 2D LED sets.Not to mention that once production ramps
up, these things will be cheap
LED will last longer also, one guy selling a SHARP on QVC said 27 years, at least.
THE THINNESS of these sets is quite amazing also, for a high WAF, meaning the final
(finally) kiss of death for plasma.:1:

Smokey
09-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I wish manufactures would get away from Edge lite LED design which really defeat whole purpose of having LED TVs which is local dimming (bettter blacks). The only advantage Edge lite LED TVs offer over regular CCFL panels is that it can be made much thinner and draw less power.

And as you said, the price are dropping fast. Target store have 40 inch LED Samsung for only $850 and I am guessing like 1080p vs 720p TVs, CCFL LCD will probably cater only to lower end and smaller TV market.

pixelthis
09-07-2010, 07:17 PM
I wish manufactures would get away from Edge lite LED design which really defeat whole purpose of having LED TVs which is local dimming (bettter blacks). The only advantage Edge lite LED TVs offer over regular CCFL panels is that it can be made much thinner and draw less power.

And as you said, the price are dropping fast. Target store have 40 inch LED Samsung for only $850 and I am guessing like 1080p vs 720p TVs, CCFL LCD will probably cater only to lower end and smaller TV market.

If they survive at all.
LED might be better, and newer, but its also cheaper. And no telling how cheap tv will get.
How about a 47" at Walmart(sony ), 998 with a bundled BLU ray player!
EDGE LIT of course, but a steal, while they last.:1: