Diffusor: Styrofoam's NRC. Spray to Harden Foam or Styrofoam. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Diffusor: Styrofoam's NRC. Spray to Harden Foam or Styrofoam.

jrhymeammo
08-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Does anyone here know NRC rating on Styrofoam?
From what I've found, it seems to have NRC rating of around 0.2 (but not sure of the frequency band).
If so, it should be okay to act as mild absorber/diffusor.

My idea is to acquiring sheets of Styrofoam and make cut outs for DIY RPG Skyline diffusors.

Main Question:
Does anyone know of a stray product that will harden surface?
I was thinking about spraying the material to harden styrofoam or even acoustic foam.

Just a crazy idea, but I'm sure it has been done.

JRA

JohnMichael
08-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Does anyone here know NRC rating on Styrofoam?
From what I've found, it seems to have NRC rating of around 0.2 (but not sure of the frequency band).
If so, it should be okay to act as mild absorber/diffusor.

My idea is to acquiring sheets of Styrofoam and make cut outs for DIY RPG Skyline diffusors.

Main Question:
Does anyone know of a stray product that will harden surface?
I was thinking about spraying the material to harden styrofoam or even acoustic foam.

Just a crazy idea, but I'm sure it has been done.

JRA

I wonder if an epoxy paint would harden the surface and allow you to make the diffuser the color you would like.

jrhymeammo
08-31-2010, 08:03 PM
I wonder if an epoxy paint would harden the surface and allow you to make the diffuser the color you would like.

Thanks for the advise, John.
I think I will go out and get a spray can of Epoxy and try spray on spare foam and styrofoam I have laying around.

Thanks again,
JRA

RoyY51
09-03-2010, 03:52 PM
You might also try some 3M spray adhesive. They make one specifically for foam, so it won't melt your material. When it dries, it should be rock-solid.

Home Depot carries it in the adhesives section of the paint dept.

jrhymeammo
09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for your recommendation, Roy.

I need to do more research before jumping the gun on things.
Well, I'm off to Hobby Lobby to return a hot wire cutter... what a POS.

Thanks again,
JRA