Anyone else remember Doug Sax? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else remember Doug Sax?

E-Stat
08-31-2010, 09:26 AM
aka Mr. Sheffield direct-to-disc guy. I just got the latest TAS which contains an informative interview with him. Yes, he's back in business cutting vinyl and pulled his equipment out of storage. OTOH, he talks about Blu-Ray and what he thinks about 24/192 recordings vs. vinyl - which may surprise vinyl diehards. :)

rw

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-31-2010, 09:48 AM
I read it, and it was very informative.

RGA
08-31-2010, 05:24 PM
aka Mr. Sheffield direct-to-disc guy. I just got the latest TAS which contains an informative interview with him. Yes, he's back in business cutting vinyl and pulled his equipment out of storage. OTOH, he talks about Blu-Ray and what he thinks about 24/192 recordings vs. vinyl - which may surprise vinyl diehards. :)

rw

For those of us who don't subscribe - do you have a quick summary - Blu Ray good - vinyl bad?

E-Stat
08-31-2010, 07:06 PM
For those of us who don't subscribe - do you have a quick summary - Blu Ray good - vinyl bad?
It's not that vinyl is bad as it does many things quite well, especially at the hands of guys like Doug Sax and Stan Ricker. High rez, however, does too. The BR format has the best chance of succeeding as it can be used for audio and video alike and is devoid of Sony's protection scheme that prevented it from widespread use and further development.

rw

RGA
09-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Well to be honest I hope it works out and sounds better because turntables are a pain in the ass and lugging records around is a pain in the ass. The expense of vinyl from a player perspective is rather massive though the vinyls are reasonable - even most of the new ones.

Sax was the guy who liked tubes back when most dismissed him as a crank, no?

E-Stat
09-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Sax was the guy who liked tubes back when most dismissed him as a crank, no?
Most what? Sheffield Records offered a level of performance in the 70s not found anywhere else. I have several in my collection.

rw

hifitommy
09-04-2010, 11:57 AM
"For those of us who don't subscribe - do you have a quick summary - Blu Ray good - vinyl bad? <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
Reviewer: http://www.dagogo.com/View-Staff.asp?hStaff=10"

well RGA, you owe it to the recipients of your reviews to be well versed in the current and past press. if you can somehow access the back issues of tas and see how the best reviewers elucidated the equipment then, it may be good schooling. in the early days, you could read the review and then listen to the equipment for yourself and actually hear EXACTLY what the reviewer was trying to convey.

you also owe it to your readers to subscribe to it now and be familiar with others views of recent equipment. you shouldnt have to depend on second hand accounts of what another reviewer has said.

doug sax has always been a respected icon in the recording business. having him master your recordings is considered a feather in your cap. rather like having al schmitt do your engineering (witness his mastery on the diana krall 'live from paris'). doug's devotion to great sound is legendary. they had a party at mastering lab to change out as many contacts to silver as possible once. and his blessing of the AT170ML and Stanton 881s did wonders for their popularity. oyeah, THAT was in tas.

doug is obviously a realist and if he states that bluray is worthy, it probably is.

as for the expense of a vinyl player, there are many that are affordable and great sounding (some of the regas and pro-jects etc). as with anything, some of the costly ones are even greater (rockport, caliburn, walker). i wouldnt be lugging my vinyl and especially not my player.

i for one, can hardly wait for this next issue of tas, as i do all of them. worth every penny.