Old Dynaudio speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Old Dynaudio speakers

Angevoi
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Hello Everybody!

Im curious about all your opinions and experiences about old Dynaudio speakers.
I am planning a buy of a Dynaudio MSP-200 speaker from about '85.
Do you have experiences with it?
Are them as good as new ones?
Its quandary, old or new speakers are better to get, with my limited budget? if old,i probably get higher category stuff for same price but not as modern, and maybe it has shorter life?

I dont know what needs special attention at a buy with an old speaker.

Thanks for advices

Hyfi
08-30-2010, 10:13 AM
I heard these guys years ago. I own 2 pairs of Dynaudio speakers and I bought them because every time I went to Soundex and heard whatever Dynaudio speakers were playing, I loved them.

What are you going to pay and what condition are they in?

Angevoi
08-30-2010, 10:49 AM
I may going to pay around 220-280EUR, howerver the delaler is asking for 315EUR.
He didnt specified the condition but there are a few photos, the speakers doesnt seems like damaged..
http://www.expressz.hu/pictureGallery.do?rid=1&cid=1343&aid=21631463&iid=70125321

Hyfi
08-30-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure on the money conversion but they may be worth it. Can you listen to them? That would be the best way to decide. I don't think any speaker by Dynaudio would not be a good choice but also check out the sensitivity to make sure you have the power to drive them. Dynaudios will not open up with mass market gear, you will want a solid high current amp to get the full potential out of them.

Angevoi
08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks!
The dealer is selling it for about 320-350USD.
90dB and its 8Ohm so my Yamaha will probably drive them somehow.
I will go listening them on this week. I'll have to decide so if it worth the money.

Angevoi
08-30-2010, 12:30 PM
So do you have experience with an old dynaudio? Is it's sound compareable with new ones ?

Hyfi
08-30-2010, 01:41 PM
So do you have experience with an old dynaudio? Is it's sound compareable with new ones ?

I heard them in a showroom but I never heard a Dane I didn't like. Do you have any clue what they sold for when new?

I have Audience 82s and 42s which are bottom of the line recently replaced by Excite. They usually have nice tweeters that are not fatiguing. Bass is always good with right amp.

Can you get a chance to listen to them?

Angevoi
08-30-2010, 03:14 PM
I guess it would be 2000Dollars if it is sold today, but 25 years of development matters and same time of corrosion.
I will listen it on this week, im very curious.

Mr Peabody
08-30-2010, 05:50 PM
If the speakers were taken care of the age shouldn't matter, only because the Dynaudio drivers are very well built. The price isn't bad either. I haven't heard that particular model but my guess when comparing older to newer Dyn's, the older ones may not be as polite. And, that's not necessarily a bad thing.