Hmmm SubWoofer without the Sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm SubWoofer without the Sub?

Worf101
08-30-2010, 03:48 AM
Seems so according to this article. You guys tell me.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20014842-47.html?tag=cnetRiver

Worf

luvtolisten
08-30-2010, 04:43 AM
Interesting concept, not sure I fully understand how it works, or how quickly it would respond to different frequencies. But I do know it's too rich for my blood!

harley .guy07
08-30-2010, 08:39 AM
I would not spend that much on a subwoofer if it came attached to a little air plane like it looks like it could!! But all kidding aside I think designs like this are cool concepts and push the envelope on what is possible and also help keep people interested and potentially get people interested in sound reproduction. But for that price I could buy 5 or more of every other sub that I have heard that I would even consider since I am more music than HT in the first place and that money would be better spent on my music part of my system.

kexodusc
08-30-2010, 08:47 AM
$13k huh...Do you get a discount if you buy 2 for stereo?

Geoffcin
08-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Seems so according to this article. You guys tell me.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20014842-47.html?tag=cnetRiver

Worf

Yes, they displayed a prototype of this sub a couple years back. Interesting concept but it never took off. I though Eminent Technology was up for sale recently.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-30-2010, 12:28 PM
This sub is the real deal, but too expensive for even commercial applications, and there is nothing much in the way of output where this sub performs its best. Aside from being able to reproduce the fundemental frequencies of earthquakes, waterfalls, and helicopter blades, it does not have much of a useful purpose.

Geoffcin
08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Can you say; "Sensurround"!

The Syosset UA had this system installed for the movie "Earthquake". I can still remember vividly people running from the theater when it was engaged!

I think the "Brown Note" is somewhere around 11Hz or so....

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Can you say; "Sensurround"!

The Syosset UA had this system installed for the movie "Earthquake". I can still remember vividly people running from the theater when it was engaged!

I think the "Brown Note" is somewhere around 11Hz or so....

Was this a recent showing? I ask this because the original installation used Cerwin Vega 18" subwoofer with 1600 watt BGW amps. The original frequency of the sensurround effect was 16-25hz.

Geoffcin
08-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Was this a recent showing? I ask this because the original installation used Cerwin Vega 18" subwoofer with 1600 watt BGW amps. The original frequency of the sensurround effect was 16-25hz.

No, alas the big Syosset UA Theater is long gone. What a theater it was too! It had the largest screen on Long Island and could seat well over a thousand including a few hundred up in the balcony. I always tried to see first run movies there back in the day.

hifitommy
09-04-2010, 12:27 PM
the Sensurround as used in the movie earthquake was a milestone but unrealistic in that all quakes had the same intensity. if you live here in so-cal you know this to be inaccurate.

in the subsequent movie Tora, Tora, Tora they wised up and when a bomb was dropped further away, the intensity was commensurately less.

thankfully, the evolution of the theater speakerage has truly taken leaps.

those earlier systems did a lot to make us want REAL bass in our own systems. you gotta give M&K a lot of credit as pioneers as well as infinity (servostatk I).

those first subs were flubby but they got the ball rolling.

blackraven
09-04-2010, 01:58 PM
No, alas the big Syosset UA Theater is long gone. What a theater it was too! It had the largest screen on Long Island and could seat well over a thousand including a few hundred up in the balcony. I always tried to see first run movies there back in the day.

Thats too bad. I grew up in Brooklyn, N.Y., and use to love the old theaters with balconies back in the day. I use to try and sit front row in the balcony.