Any Playstation One SCPH-1001 users? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Playstation One SCPH-1001 users?

Poultrygeist
08-29-2010, 09:29 AM
There was a great deal of hype over using these as CD players a few years ago. 6Moons even proclaimed the 1001 with the two RCA outs as audiophile quality. I know these had attained near cult status with various mods and forums dedicated to them so has the interest diminished since there a fewer good examples out there? I believe they were last made around 1990. I have two and both are temperamental as hell and refuse to play most CD-R's but have an excellent analog sound.

jrhymeammo
08-29-2010, 02:38 PM
I have 3 preamps and a tube integrated amp. Not that I've spent countless hours trying, but I haven't been able to understand what the hype is about with combination of gear I have. Maybe my unit needs a tune up, but it sound veiled and muffled to my ears.

Poultrygeist
08-30-2010, 04:05 AM
And the price of tea in China is whatever the market will bear.

basite
08-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Maybe my unit needs a tune up, but it sound veiled and muffled to my ears.

no, that's perfectly normal.

it's just a hype, and not even a good one at that.

as the reviewer at 6moons said: it sounds 'pleasant' (which differs for most people), but it lacked detail and image, it plays good in the same way a very old tube table radio sounds "audiophile quality" too: it doesn't, it sounds pleasant, but lacks detail (it seriously lacks detail), no imaging, soundstage, ... it just misses alot of the sound. but, it sounds pleasant.

here the definition of "audiophile" is wrongly used, as with much hypes.

atomicAdam
09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
I have a PS1 - it is very rolled off the top and muddy at the bottom.

I read a few review of it myself - sometimes I think reviewers are ****ing idiots for the things they say sound good, or, maybe they are so old and their hearing so shot that they can't notice the lack of highs. I've been wondering about this particular issue lately - since the CAS and seeing a bunch of old men huddled around a system loving it and me wondering WTF is wrong w/ their hearing because they seemed to not notice all the distortion in the high end...anyways - not to pick an ageism fight or digress ...

But the PS1 would be a great match if you have a system that runs a little high and if you like vocal jazz music. I think that is a good match. But if you have a balanced system and like to have some thump and highs... than it isn't the player for you.

You can find out for yourself though. I picked mine up on craigslist for $10. Now if only the 'censored' section was that cheap and simple...... humm......

Poultrygeist
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Could it be it's synergy with SET and full ranger drivers playing small group jazz?

atomicAdam
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Could it be it's synergy with SET and full ranger drivers playing small group jazz?

Well, audio is pretty much all about component synergy - so - yes - it could be.

Poultrygeist
10-11-2010, 04:04 PM
I went to a local thrift shop today looking for vintage gear and found a nice SCPH-1001. For $5 I couldn't pass it up even though I've got two others at home. I've learned one thing about PS1's, some sound much better than others.

And to think I just won an early TDA1541 Maggie on fleabay yesterday. Can't remember the model but its got cooling fins on the back. When I get it maybe I'll post some impressions.

atomicAdam
10-12-2010, 06:27 AM
I went to a local thrift shop today looking for vintage gear and found a nice SCPH-1001. For $5 I couldn't pass it up even though I've got two others at home. I've learned one thing about PS1's, some sound much better than others.

So you are saying that of the PS1 players that have the RCA outs in the back, some sound better than others?

How? Is the roll of not as dramatic? Is there more dynamic swing? Is the low end less muddy? These are all my complaints on the PS1 I have my hands on.

I mean - for $10 - if all i listened to where poorly recorded lounge music (Patys Cline live) it would be great - but that isn't the case.

phileserver39
10-16-2010, 04:51 AM
I own one (which I bought on EBay) and have swapped it into my chains many-a-time in hopes that it would live up to the cultish hype. My ASUS STX card kicks the ever loving schnike out of the PS1. Hey, for the $25 I paid for it I am very happy and, in a pinch, I could always substitute it into any one of my systems until I get a replacement source. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a BAD player at all. It definitely beats several $200 cd players I have owned in the past.

barracuda
11-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I have made the modifications according to the following link http://dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html and the results are surprising. I did not completely bypass the output stage, only removed the capacitors and transistors as instructed. The bass is a bit boomy and not very extended, the mids are very clean, focused and realistic, the highs are not cut off in my system, it might be because I used silver hook up wire on my DIY pre amp and also on the mod of the PS1. I think it worth to mention the only one worth anything is the SCPH 100x model because of DAC chip used.