Smoke from a Lithium Dream [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from a Lithium Dream

Davey
08-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Got an old fashioned burn and post compilation if anyone is up for some of that dead moon in the jaws type of twilight sound. Mostly gapless (or maybe I meant to say toothless), so not really built to spill into your latest ipod random mix-a-thon. More like a series of little viginettes, meant to stay put, but hey, tunes are toons, just some music that I've listened to a lot in the last year or so, but many of you know what that means...probably kind of depressing, lot of that southern gothic godawful Americana sound, though it tends to make me feel good. So bite me :)

Anyway, no need to post a weather report when you can just look outside your window, tune is the same as the days past, post or pm with the confidential bits wherever you think they belong. No trades required, reviews always a fun bonus, good or bad...

Originally titled Autumn Sweater, for the mood and time of the season, and..well..maybe, just because once in awhile... Yo La Tengo is just about perfect. But retitled and edited slightly for this exclusive Rave Recordings special (and did I say yet "limited time") offer. The new title comes from the Josh Ritter semi-closer. Heaven's just a thin blue line. The fruit trees of Eden and the gardens that seem to float like the smoke from a lithium dream.

Smoke from a Lithium Dream

01. Circulatory System - Tiny Concerts
02. Augie March - Maroondah Reservoir
03. Magnolia Electric Co. - Trouble In Mind
04. Woven Hand - Aeolian harp (Under the world)
05. Woven Hand - Truth
06. Richard Buckner - Figure
07. Sun Kil Moon - Tonight the Sky
08. Richmond Fontaine - Two Alone
09. Richard Buckner - Mrs. Merritt
10. Court & Spark - In A Sugarpine Bed
11. Red Red Meat - Gauze
12. Califone - Evidence
13. Yo La Tengo - Autumn Sweater
14. Radar Bros. - Pomona
15. Josh Ritter - Thin Blue Flame
16. Cardinal - Silver Machines

Heaven is so big there ain’t no need to look up, so I stopped looking for royal cities in the air... only a full house gonna have a prayer.

Slosh
08-27-2010, 08:54 AM
That looks pretty good. I could pretty much make that comp myself so save yourself a CDR. :)

NP: a slightly revised version of my 2007 YEC
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/Slosh_album/screen00.jpg

3LB
08-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Looks good, though I think you put Autumn Sweater on another comp a few years back (its in current MP3 rotation). I saw Popular Songs at the Rekkid store a few weeks ago - any good?

Davey
08-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Looks good, though I think you put Autumn Sweater on another comp a few years back (its in current MP3 rotation). I saw Popular Songs at the Rekkid store a few weeks ago - any good?

Good catch, just checked and it was on the 1997 Retro comp that Snowbunny and I put together. YLT has been featured on a few of my comps in the past, mostly from my favorites Electr-o-pura and Heart Beating as One. I haven't actually heard any of their records since And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out, but can't really imagine a bad one. If you like the sound, they are consistently very good.

Davey
08-29-2010, 12:42 PM
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/lithium.jpg

Rae
08-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I want it. PM sent.

~Rae

Davey
08-31-2010, 07:25 AM
I want it. PM sent.

~Rae

You got it. Perfect timing too, I was just about to throw that last one out with the trash on my way to work. Might have some coffee grounds and chicken juice on it, but should play OK by the time it lands in your hood. On its way, like smoke from a ...

3LB
08-31-2010, 08:47 AM
funny, seeing your local reminds of one of your earlier comps. My music collection reflects much compage from back in the day.

YLT is the only overlap I can see.

Finch Platte
09-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Got an old fashioned burn and post compilation if anyone is up for some of that dead moon in the jaws type of twilight sound. Mostly gapless (or maybe I meant to say toothless), so not really built to spill into your latest ipod random mix-a-thon. More like a series of little viginettes, meant to stay put, but hey, tunes are toons, just some music that I've listened to a lot in the last year or so, but many of you know what that means...probably kind of depressing, lot of that southern gothic godawful Americana sound, though it tends to make me feel good. So bite me :)

Anyway, no need to post a weather report when you can just look outside your window, tune is the same as the days past, post or pm with the confidential bits wherever you think they belong. No trades required, reviews always a fun bonus, good or bad...

Originally titled Autumn Sweater, for the mood and time of the season, and..well..maybe, just because once in awhile... Yo La Tengo is just about perfect. But retitled and edited slightly for this exclusive Rave Recordings special (and did I say yet "limited time") offer. The new title comes from the Josh Ritter semi-closer. Heaven's just a thin blue line. The fruit trees of Eden and the gardens that seem to float like the smoke from a lithium dream.

Uh, English, Please?

Swish
09-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Uh, English, Please?

Yeah, Dave's musings tend to be a little convoluted at times and I'm quite certain his phraseology is too labyrinthine for your diminutive comprehension.

Finch Platte
09-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Yeah, Dave's musings tend to be a little convoluted at times and I'm quite certain his phraseology is too labyrinthine for your diminutive comprehension.

Lol- nice. :D

Davey
09-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah, Dave's musings tend to be a little convoluted at times

Whew, that's a relief. I was worried it might just be me.

Swish
09-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Whew, that's a relief. I was worried it might just be me.

I got your comp in the mail today, and was happy to see the plastic case was smashed to bits just like most of my deliveries from DeepDiscount.com. The CDR is fine though, and I'll be spinning it tomorrow. Just got done setting up my new Dell PC, and it's sweeeeeeeeeeet! What a pain transferring about 30 gigs of files though. The rest was a proverbial piece of cake, especially with Windows 7.

Davey
09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
He he! I couldn't resist, but Finch started it. I got your comp in the mail today, and was happy to see the plastic case was smashed to bits just like most of my deliveries from DeepDiscount.com. The CDR is fine though, and I'll be spinning it tomorrow. Just got done setting up my new Dell PC, and it's sweeeeeeeeeeet! What a pain transferring about 30 gigs of files though. The rest was a proverbial piece of cake, especially with Windows 7.

Just like the old days... now I remember why we quit doing this mailbox thing. Hours spent picking songs, sequencing, and sacrificing to get the flow just right, and then burning, artwork, printing, trimming, addressing, stuffing, and finally the trip to the PO to be confronted by long lines and rising costs, followed by the wait, and then word of broken CDs, missing packages, and .. oh well, call me old-fashioned. Or just old. Glad it got there fast, if not exactly in one piece :).

I'm quite certain his phraseology is too labyrinthine for your diminutive comprehension....while we're on the subject ...??
funny, seeing your local reminds of one of your earlier comps.

Swish
09-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Just like the old days... now I remember why we quit doing this mailbox thing. Hours spent picking songs, sequencing, and sacrificing to get the flow just right, and then burning, artwork, printing, trimming, addressing, stuffing, and finally the trip to the PO to be confronted by long lines and rising costs, followed by the wait, and then word of broken CDs, missing packages, and .. oh well, call me old-fashioned. Or just old. Glad it got there fast, if not exactly in one piece :).

...while we're on the subject ...??

...days, and it's a dandy for sure. I do have exactly half the tunes in my collection, but only a couple are what I would consider very familiar. Nice job with the selections and kudos for the artwork. It's like going back in time on RR.

Davey
09-08-2010, 08:59 AM
It's like going back in time on RR. Thanks, that's what it was about for me too.

At night I make plans for a city laid down
Like the hips of a girl on the spring covered ground
Spirals and capitals like the twist of a script
Streets named for heroes that could almost exist
The fruit trees of Eden and the gardens that seem
To float like the smoke from a lithium dream
Cedar trees growing in the cool of the squares
The young women walking in the portals of prayer
And the future glass buildings and the past an address
And the weddings in pollen and the wine bottomless
And all wrongs forgotten and all vengeance made right
The suffering verbs put to sleep in the night
The future descending like a bright chandelier
And the world just beginning and the guests in good cheer
In Royal City I fell into a trance
Oh it’s hell to believe there ain’t a hell of a chance

3LB
09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Davey, I meant 'locale' as in, beneath the mambo sun

geesh...

Davey
09-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Davey, I meant 'locale' as in, beneath the mambo sun

geesh...

Yea, sometimes I even surprise myself how dumb I can be. Probably not fooling any of you, though :)

Snowbunny
09-09-2010, 10:35 AM

C'mon, you know you love doing it! I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. But I have a feeling I got dropped to the bottom of the list for taking so long to order my copy!

Nice job on matching the album art to the tracklist, Davey!

Snowie

Davey
09-09-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.
Uh oh, that's never a good sign. Like I said, the good old days, but that's the price for living in such a faraway and exotic land. How often does the mail truck come down your street? Hmm, I wonder ..you are still in Toledo, right? I think they all got mailed Aug 31, including yours. Still one left to go out.

Davey
07-18-2011, 09:39 PM
I was just listening to this collection and realized that I'd never made good on the copies that got lost somewhere beyond my friendly postal monkey, so went ahead and ripped and zipped the CDR to FLAC with cover art, and uploaded to someplace safe for awhile. The link is on my song of the day page, so either click on the link in signature, or if not logged in, go to my public profile and do it there.

It's got some smokey cross-fading to keep the pieces together, so if you want to hear it the way I hear it, you'll need to use a gapless player. But there's nobody watching, so if you toss half the songs in the recycle bin and throw the rest in the blender, well, no hurt feelings here :)

Just heard that Richard Buckner has a new record on the way in a couple weeks, been a long time. Not a very solid thought connection going on other than he's got a couple songs on this comp, and I want a new Richard Buckner record.