Jackson Browne/David Lindley [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Browne/David Lindley

thekid
08-26-2010, 02:16 AM
For a kind of belated B-day present my son and I went and saw Jackson Browne last night. He is touring with his long time side man David Lindley and I highly recommend it if they come to a town near you that you go see them.

Jackson and David open up with a two-man accoustic set which is very good and after a few songs Jackson walks off and lets David play a variety of stringed instruments. The man can flat out play anything with strings.

Short intermisson and then Jackson is back with the whole band and they just play pretty much non-stop for over an hour. Almost as he finished a song a guy was walking him out a different guitar for the next one. A very good mix of new and old songs from almost every era. He even did a fan request for "Linda Paloma" which clearly no one except David had every played so he walks over to each member of the band and kind of walks them through it before breaking into it. Never seen that happen at a concert.

Best part of the evening was the time spent with my son taking it all in on an awesome summer evening..... :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Worf101
08-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Great minds and all that. I got tix for his Sept show here in Albany months ago. Thanks for the review/preview though. And otherwise, how's the master of "The Thrift Store Score" doing these days?

Worf

RGA
08-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up - Jackson is probably my favorite male singer. Just bought a vinyl the other day in mint shape for $4.

The weird thing is that Running on Empty was not on the Forest Gump soundtrack even though it was practically the main song - all those running across the U.S. scenes was played to Running on Empty. Eesh.

rakeford
08-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up - Jackson is probably my favorite male singer. Just bought a vinyl the other day in mint shape for $4.

The weird thing is that Running on Empty was not on the Forest Gump soundtrack even though it was practically the main song - all those running across the U.S. scenes was played to Running on Empty. Eesh.
Got mine last month for 50 cent at the thrift. The staples of the insert were rusting, but the vinyl is in good shape.

Good for you, thekid, great hangtime with yourkid. :thumbsup:

thekid
08-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Great minds and all that. I got tix for his Sept show here in Albany months ago. Thanks for the review/preview though. And otherwise, how's the master of "The Thrift Store Score" doing these days?

Worf

Good on ya Bro!

I figure being the musician you are you probably can appreciate what Lindley does more so than a civilian like me.

As for things in general work has been crazy but my support team at home has been maintaining my sanity. My daughter's first exhibit opens tonight at the student art center so a road trip up to Richmond is in line for this weekend. "The Master" will have to scope a few thrifts up there. The last time I was there I got a Nak deck with owner's manual for $5.... :)

Hope all is well with you and yours my friend.

hifitommy
08-27-2010, 11:04 PM
i was lucky enough to win free seats to the july 23rd performance here in LA at the greek from 100.3 the sound radio station! it was about my fourth event seeing him here in the LA area since the mid 70s.

its always been a great show and i have most of his records mostly on vinyl.

Worf101
08-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Jackson Browne was an acquired taste for me. Before I left for the service guys were just starting to listen to him, but it didn't resonate with me. After the Army, 2.5 more years of college and a couple of failed romances, he made a lot more sense. I admire his early work for his ability to paint a picture about love without saying the word love. Great music with great lyrics. This'll be my second time seeing him.

Worf

hifitommy
08-28-2010, 10:26 AM
my friend that accomanied me to see jackson made the observation that there were a lot of couples of our age (60 yrs old or more) attending. so the romanticism theory carries well.

the first two times i saw him i was with my honey. had she still been with us, it would have been her with me the last two times as well. we saw him first at the forum in late '77 during the running on empty tour and about a year later at the troubadour from the edge of the stage with david lindley.

then i saw heim a couple of years ago at a benefit in malibu along with los lobos and others with the same friend i saw him with in this july. i never had a bad time seeing him.

i missed getting some of his middle albums but caught up in the used LP bins and then snagged 'naked ride home' on cd and a couple of years later the solo and acoustic releases (2) plus time the conqeror on vinyl and cd.

i just looked and saw in amg that i missed a couple so i will correct that oversight.