SALT is ridiculously tasty! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SALT is ridiculously tasty!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-25-2010, 08:54 AM
I had the chance to get out to a high end movie theater in Hollywood the other day (Arclight Theaters) to see the movie SALT. First I just want to say I am a huge Jolie fan, and can watch that hot woman kicking butt all day long. This movie is suspenseful, smart, witty, well paced, full of adrenalin, has so many curves and u-turns it resembles Mulholland Drive. Tom Cruise was a fool to walk away from this part, it would have suited him well. However, Angelina steps in, and just plain kicks ass from the start to the finish. This movie is never bogged down by insignificant details, but it does not feel glossed over either. Chiwetel Ejiofor is another of my favorite actors, and he plays his role to the hilt. This guy has talent coming out his pores, and has never IMO turned in a bad performance, even if the movie is a little over the line (think 2012).

Now I know more than half the action in this movie is impossible to do in real life, but I didn't care one bit. Just seeing Jolie sticking to the side of a truck after leaping off an overpass was more than enough to make me emotionally erect! This chick is tough as nails in this role, and she makes her performance in Tomb Raider look like a kids party. Watching this movie with a 4K projector and one of the finest sound systems in Hollywood was a real treat.

If you have a chance, check this movie out. You won't be disappointed(at least I wasn't).

GMichael
08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks! I'll look forward to seeing it. Now go take a cold shower.

Hyfi
08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Do you still think she is hot without makeup or when the pics are not photoshopped?

Two completely different looks for sure.

08-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Do you still think she is hot without makeup or when the pics are not photoshopped?

Two completely different looks for sure.

I have seen her live without make up and still thought she was hot. You are right though, it is two different looks.

GMichael
08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I have seen her live .
Did you get to taste her salt?

ForeverAutumn
08-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Let me get this straight. The lead character was supposed to be male and they switched it to female? Now that's very cool.

Would the story have been different with a male lead?

GMichael
08-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Let me get this straight. The lead character was supposed to be male and they switched it to female? Now that's very cool.

He wouldn't have made out with as many guys.

ForeverAutumn
08-25-2010, 09:16 AM
He wouldn't have made out with as many guys.

Well that's disappointing.

08-25-2010, 09:17 AM

From what I have heard, they made some small changes, but this is pretty close to the movie the Director wanted to make with a male character. I think Angelina can pretty much do anything a man can do except......well you know.

GMichael
08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Well that's disappointing.
I always thought that she should have been the new 007.

GMichael
08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
From what I have heard, they made some small changes, but this is pretty close to the movie the Director wanted to make with a male character. I think Angelina can pretty much do anything a man can do except......well you know.
Piss in a tin cup from 10 feet away? I don't know. I think she can pull it off.

08-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Did you get to taste her salt?

I wish...if I had I wouldn't be here posting a damn thing...that is for sure. I would still be tastin!

RGA
08-25-2010, 11:35 AM
I greatly enjoyed this movie as well - it was a lot of fun and Jolie was quite good. We all tend to put stars up on pedestals - but you know Jolie is probably worth it. LOL.

Of course I'll take Brad Pitt's leftover - I don't mind settling :)

GMichael
08-25-2010, 11:39 AM
I greatly enjoyed this movie as well - it was a lot of fun and Jolie was quite good. We all tend to put stars up on pedestals - but you know Jolie is probably worth it. LOL.

Of course I'll take Brad Pitt's leftover - I don't mind settling :)
Maybe Sir T will hook you up. But first you'll have to write, "SS sounds better than tubes" 50 times.

RGA
08-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Maybe Sir T will hook you up. But first you'll have to write, "SS sounds better than tubes" 50 times.

Yes I would sell out for that:wink5:

3LB
08-26-2010, 07:35 AM
actually, a role written for Tom Cruise would prolly translate rather easily to an actress

and Hyfi... why are you looking at her face?

Hyfi
08-26-2010, 07:40 AM

I have actually seen some of those photos where the person has no idea and it showed saggy wrinkled ass.

They all look good in a movie but in real life photos, her and her huge ass lips do nothing for me. But that's just me, I know most guys salivate over her and a few others that don't do it for me.

GMichael
08-26-2010, 07:59 AM
I have actually seen some of those photos where the person has no idea and it showed saggy wrinkled ass.

They all look good in a movie but in real life photos, her and her huge ass lips do nothing for me. But that's just me, I know most guys salivate over her and a few others that don't do it for me.
You prefer Roseanne Barr?

Hyfi
08-26-2010, 08:04 AM
You prefer Roseanne Barr?

Only when she scratches at her crotch, spits, and is singing the National Anthem.

True beauty!

Hyfi
08-26-2010, 08:46 AM

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/087/5/3/angelina_jolie_bad_fairy_2_by_wrensfairyrealm.jpg

Oh yeah, and those Jailhouse style Tattoos are real nice. Geez, if your gonna mark your body all up, at least have some nice ones like Janine Lindemulder has.

http://www.fallencelebrities.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Janine2.jpg

http://www.fallencelebrities.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Janine.jpg

3LB
08-26-2010, 09:00 AM
that's ghastly

hell, that's ink abuse ;)

RGA
08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
FWIW Jennifer Aniston is more my type in the looks department over Jolie. But then I like Uma Thurman and some guys think she's a horse.

The French actress in Inception Marion Cotillard - now she is my speed. Rachel Weisz is also a stunner to me.

Hyfi
08-26-2010, 09:10 AM
FWIW Jennifer Aniston is more my type in the looks department over Jolie. But then I like Uma Thurman and some guys think she's a horse.

The French actress in Inception Marion Cotillard - now she is my speed. Rachel Weisz is also a stunner to me.

Different strokes.....

Aniston does nothing for me but Uma has something for a big girl. Check out an old movie call Even Cowgirls Get The Blues. Hilarious flick about a cowgirl lesbian with overly large thumbs that the rest of the girls find fun.

I like a few of the younger girls in the business right now like Ellen Page and Mia Wasikowska from the new Alice in Wonderland.

Hyfi
08-26-2010, 03:39 PM
I had the chance to get out to a high end movie theater in Hollywood the other day (Arclight Theaters) to see the movie SALT. First I just want to say I am a huge Jolie fan, and can watch that hot woman kicking butt all day long. This movie is suspenseful, smart, witty, well paced, full of adrenalin, has so many curves and u-turns it resembles Mulholland Drive. Tom Cruise was a fool to walk away from this part, it would have suited him well. However, Angelina steps in, and just plain kicks ass from the start to the finish. This movie is never bogged down by insignificant details, but it does not feel glossed over either. Chiwetel Ejiofor is another of my favorite actors, and he plays his role to the hilt. This guy has talent coming out his pores, and has never IMO turned in a bad performance, even if the movie is a little over the line (think 2012).

Now I know more than half the action in this movie is impossible to do in real life, but I didn't care one bit. Just seeing Jolie sticking to the side of a truck after leaping off an overpass was more than enough to make me emotionally erect! This chick is tough as nails in this role, and she makes her performance in Tomb Raider look like a kids party. Watching this movie with a 4K projector and one of the finest sound systems in Hollywood was a real treat.

If you have a chance, check this movie out. You won't be disappointed(at least I wasn't).

So I thought about renting a copy of this just to see what all the emotional erections were about.

Then I started reading through the comments about the movie here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944835/usercomments

They sure do differ from what you thought but if there is nothing better in the redbox, I may give a try.

RGA
08-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Sir T

Does MPSE stand for Motion Picture Sound Engineer? What have you done? Or are you allowed to say? I suppose you can say since you'd be listed int he credits.

That sounds like a lot of fun. If a film you do wins an oscar do you get to go? I know they have an oscars for the technical side of it on another day.

08-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Sir T

Does MPSE stand for Motion Picture Sound Engineer? What have you done? Or are you allowed to say? I suppose you can say since you'd be listed int he credits.

I do not like to talk about films I have worked on specifically because it keeps the legal department at my studio off this website. I got into too much trouble talking about specifics when on Bluray.com, and do not want to repeat that mistake again.

I now work on the home video side of things, I stop doing feature films awhile back because of the intensive work hours you have to put in on them. I have done the sound on all of the Disney Blu ray's(not Pixar stuff though), and made for hometheater mixes on DVD. On the feature film side, my work has primarily been to come in and fix stuff the hired re-recording engineer screwed up, or what the director didn't like, so sometimes I don't really get screen credits, I get the money!

That sounds like a lot of fun. If a film you do wins an oscar do you get to go? I know they have an oscars for the technical side of it on another day.

I was part of a team that won a Oscar for best film sound. Hunt for Red October was one, but I also got 2 more for my work on a very popular late night talk show. I have always discouraged any nomination for awards, as I am not a in front of the camera type, I like to stay behind the scenes. I think the money I bring home is the best reward anyway!

RGA
08-26-2010, 07:53 PM
That's great Sir T. The Hunt for Red October was certainly technically impressive - and I enjoyed the movie to boot. Always liked Sean Connery. It's great to make money but it's nice to be a part of something that will live long after you as well. The Hunt for Red October was one of my dad's favorite movies - he always liked the war pictures.

Speaking on Late Night talk shows - have you watched Craig Ferguson? He's quite funny when he makes fun of the show's budget and his "lighting" people. He can't afford a side-kick so mythbusters made him a robot named Geoff Peterson who has the worst comic timing in the business. Craig seems to be quite friendly with his time slot competitor Jimmy Fallon.

Thanks for the info on the Blu-Ray thread. Up here stores are still taking DVDs on trade so I may dump them while I have the chance. Blockbuster video is taking them in as well - and Blockbuster is probably on its lasdt legs with net-flix coming and those vending machines that are in the U.S. but not up here in numbers yet - though they are up here. I live on Vancouver Island so it takes a bit longer for the tech to get here.

3LB
08-27-2010, 09:27 AM
didn't you sat you worked on the Arsenio Hall show? I remember Hall bragging once that he didn't allow lipsyncing on his show - true? That show upped the ante on sound quality and always had hipper guests.

3LB
08-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey RGA, do you hang with any of the other bottle heads up there? I know a couple up there, one of whom builds speakers.

08-27-2010, 11:14 AM
didn't you sat you worked on the Arsenio Hall show? I remember Hall bragging once that he didn't allow lipsyncing on his show - true? That show upped the ante on sound quality and always had hipper guests.

That's the show 3LB, and yes, no lipsyncing allowed. But I did have a crude version of auto tune available in the rack that could do real time tuning of the voice. It was an early version though, and could not always help a singer out when it was really needed. This is where I learned that Mary J. Blige was not ready for prime time, and that Patty Labelle was hard as hell on mixing desk. I had to use a limiter every time she came to the show!

Hyfi
08-29-2010, 04:21 AM

So on your rec, and against the hundreds of negative ones from the above link I posted, I watched this movie last night. It was hokey at best. Way too unbelievable from start to finish. I don't care how much training you have, 90lbs of girl will not beat 200lbs of man after man.

At one point I commented to my wife something like "all those guys getting their asses kicked by 90lbs" and she replied back "Yeah and 80lbs of her is lip"

I also read the list of screwups in the movie which showed a total lack of detail throughout. The best one was when she took off her shoes in the stairwell and placed them next to each other in the corner. 2 seconds later the camera view as she goes up the steps shows the shoes to be about a foot and a half apart. Come on! The other was the explosive device that blew out every window in the building but did no damage to the apartment or anything in it.

This movie is ONLY for those who drool over AJ since it has nothing else at all going on.
My say is don't waste even a redbox dollar on this one.

Sorry T, your lust for AJ has clouded your sense of what a good movie is. This one isn't one.

08-29-2010, 06:55 AM
So on your rec, and against the hundreds of negative ones from the above link I posted, I watched this movie last night. It was hokey at best. Way too unbelievable from start to finish. I don't care how much training you have, 90lbs of girl will not beat 200lbs of man after man.

At one point I commented to my wife something like "all those guys getting their asses kicked by 90lbs" and she replied back "Yeah and 80lbs of her is lip"

I also read the list of screwups in the movie which showed a total lack of detail throughout. The best one was when she took off her shoes in the stairwell and placed them next to each other in the corner. 2 seconds later the camera view as she goes up the steps shows the shoes to be about a foot and a half apart. Come on! The other was the explosive device that blew out every window in the building but did no damage to the apartment or anything in it.

This movie is ONLY for those who drool over AJ since it has nothing else at all going on.
My say is don't waste even a redbox dollar on this one.

Sorry T, your lust for AJ has clouded your sense of what a good movie is. This one isn't one.

Sorry Hify, but you cannot speak for me. I liked the movie, I thought it was good. You didn't and I respect that. Different strokes for different folks, but your opinion does not negate mine.

02audionoob
08-29-2010, 07:35 AM
That's the show 3LB, and yes, no lipsyncing allowed. But I did have a crude version of auto tune available in the rack that could do real time tuning of the voice. It was an early version though, and could not always help a singer out when it was really needed. This is where I learned that Mary J. Blige was not ready for prime time, and that Patty Labelle was hard as hell on mixing desk. I had to use a limiter every time she came to the show!

I remember being impressed by a young Mariah Carey's performance on that show.

RGA
08-29-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't see a problem with liking Salt. I thought it was quite entertaining. No it's not believable but it's an action movie and most of them are nto entirely believeable when you put logic in. Could a super trained 90lb woman beat up a 100lb guy? Yes. It's called martial arts and that is partly the point of it.

Uma Thruman with a Sword chopped through hundreds in the most ridiculous over the top sequences and I am thinking - doesn't anyone own a gun?

rottentomatoes has a 61% Fresh rating for salt on their tomatometer. 126 liked it 80 didn't. Salt is far better than Pirhana and yet Pirhana has a 75% fresh rating which is puzzling. Pirhana is said to be a funny over the top gore movie. But the characters were out acted by the CGI fish, the gore wasn't that great, and it was not nearly as funny as say Tremors or Arachnophobia.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1213717-salt/

The Last Exorcism was surprisingly good I have to say. Didn't love the ending but I have to say it had a good deal of suspense and a somewhat believable story. In this day and age it would have to be considered a success for the horror genre. Good lead performance helps.

3LB
08-30-2010, 05:06 AM
That's the show 3LB, and yes, no lipsyncing allowed. But I did have a crude version of auto tune available in the rack that could do real time tuning of the voice. It was an early version though, and could not always help a singer out when it was really needed. This is where I learned that Mary J. Blige was not ready for prime time, and that Patty Labelle was hard as hell on mixing desk. I had to use a limiter every time she came to the show! did you or the staff ever get corporate mandates to "make sure someone looks good".

Who was the worst musical act on that show?

08-30-2010, 09:39 AM
did you or the staff ever get corporate mandates to "make sure someone looks good".

Who was the worst musical act on that show?

Honestly, there were quite a bit of bad ones over the run of that show, but Mary J Blige is most memorable to me because in rehersal she blamed everything and everyone on site for that fact that she couldn't sing, and just plain sounded bad. I am sure there have been worse, but I just cannot remember who they are off the cuff.

The lighting and camera guys(and young woman) probably had the mandate to make sure the artists looked good, but you had to stand on your own when it came to singing and playing.

RGA
08-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Sir T

People like to focus on the negative but which acts sounded good or in general treated the average folks well? We all hear stories of musicians like Richard Marx who demanded the red M&Ms be removed and dimwit stories like that.

I remember meeting a person who said Per Gessle of the Swedish band Roxette helped wheel a guy down hallways in a wheelchair. Supposedly a really nice duo.

The bad reports I dismiss to a degree because these "stars" probably get frustrated with all the hounding they get and if they have a bad day it's on the news.

08-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Sir T

People like to focus on the negative but which acts sounded good or in general treated the average folks well? We all hear stories of musicians like Richard Marx who demanded the red M&Ms be removed and dimwit stories like that.

I remember meeting a person who said Per Gessle of the Swedish band Roxette helped wheel a guy down hallways in a wheelchair. Supposedly a really nice duo.

The bad reports I dismiss to a degree because these "stars" probably get frustrated with all the hounding they get and if they have a bad day it's on the news.

Well, I am saying this not because I know her personally, but because it is true. Patty Labelle was probably the nicest person I have ever seen grace Arsenio's stage. Everytime she would come to the show, she would bring a ton of her home cooked food with her to feed the entire staff. It was just amazing, and man that woman could cook her butt off. During rehersals she was always extreme professional but extremely funny, which made for very relaxed rehearsals.

Mariah Carrey before she became this ***** deva was also extremely nice.

Jennifer Holiday was a total blast, and always completely professional.

These women stick out because of the lasting good impressions they made. I am sure there were a lot more cool people, I just cannot remember off the top of my head.

I am less gracious when it comes to dealing with the quirks and whims of the stars. A lot of time they do all of these crazy things just to show the power they wield, and sometimes it is so petty and ridiculous you just want to slap the hell out of them.