12" Laserdiscs still worthy of ownership... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 12" Laserdiscs still worthy of ownership...

PeruvianSkies
08-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Here is my compiled list of 12" Laserdiscs that for one reason or another are either rare, collectible, or still worth something to a videophile/audiophile. Hard to believe, but some of these titles still have people paying top dollar for:

BLADE (DTS) - one of the last LD released and a great demo of it's time for DTS. Only DVD version that included DTS was issued in Japan and cost about $50 U.S.

EVITA (DTS) DVD only included DD 5.1

THE FRIGHTENERS (DTS) DVD only included DD 5.1 and HD-DVD obsolete.

THE GAME (DTS) Very poor DVD issue of this film.

GOOD WILL HUNTING (DTS) Very poor DVD issue as well, DTS available on import DVD from Australia though.

GREAT EXPECTATIONS (DTS) Phenomenal soundtrack to this film, poor DVD issue,

HERCULES (DTS) Skimpy DVD issue from Disney, probably coming out of vault soon for Blu-ray.

HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (DTS) - Same as HERCULES.

MAN IN THE IRON MASK (DTS) Poor DVD release from MGM

MR. HOLLANDS OPUS (DTS) - barebones DVD.

POCAHONTAS (DTS) Another great Disney title with a lame-o DVD release.

ROB ROY (DTS) One of the best soundtracks as well, very poor DVD issue, a Blu-ray should be in the works.

RONIN (DTS) Released in poor form in U.S. with DD 5.1, UK got a special edition with DTS, the Blu-ray is OK, but I still like the sound on the LD. Also, this soundtrack is available as an HDCD.

A few other goodies in DTS: SPAWN, THE SHADOW, STRANGE DAYS, VERTIGO, WAG THE DOG, WEST SIDE STORY, and if anyone actually cares about the film itself....WATERWORLD was one of the long-running reference discs for it's DTS soundtrack on LD and it will be interesting to compare to a Blu-ray issue in the future.

As some of you may remember in the early days of DVD that universal issued DTS-only DVD's for several of their catalog titles, including THE SHADOW, THE RIVER WILD, OUT OF SIGHT, etc, which many of these were recycled from the full-bit Laserdiscs.

Many of the Criterion Collection Laserdiscs also never made their way onto DVD, here are just a few:

BODIES, REST, AND MOTION, NIGHT AT THE OPERA, I AM CUBA, THE PLAYER

And then there are these gems:

200 MOTELS - Frank Zappa
READY, STEADY, GO - The Beatles
MAKING OF THRILLER - Michael Jackson
STRANGE TOO - Depeche Mode
1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE (an often forgotten Ridley Scott film)
Various LOONEY TUNES collections and BETTY BOOP
About 30 RKO classic films from the 30's, 40's, and 50's that were never issued on DVD.

There are also several titles on LD that I often prefer over their DVD counterparts, such as AIR FORCE ONE, IPCRESS FILE, THE SORCERER, CLERKS, THE FUGITIVE, THE ABYSS, OUTLAND, OMEN, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, and WESTWORLD.

Hopefully many of these titles will be released on Blu-ray and SOON!

Tarheel_
09-01-2010, 12:45 PM
my LD player can only decode DTS so i have a fair amount of movies (LD player was a gift). I mainly used it for my little girls. I'd find Disney movies on ebay for a few dollars each. Now, they have gotten older, i no longer use the LD.

One of my faves is Toy Story in DTS....great sound!

The player is a Sony and the remote looks more like a keyboard. I just love legacy stuff.

thekid
09-02-2010, 02:02 AM
I have several of the ones mention above in my collection. I do have any interesting copy of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" that says it is the pre-theatrical release. I have mentioned before LD's are not DVD quality but on a Hi-Def TV the PQ can be surprisingly good.