Howdy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

PeterRB
08-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi,
I just registered to Audio Review and wanted to say "hello" and ask for some assistance. Having recently returned from living in Germany for the past four years I wish to be able to enjoy all the music I downloaded from ITunes during my time overseas. While in Germany I purchased Apple's HiFi so I didn't have to always use my headphones. Now that I'm home I want to enjoy my acquired library on my home system which is detailed in my profile.
A local shop is allowing me to try out the Xantech XIS100 dock for the IPod. It sounds quite good but the functionality leaves a lot to be desired. An example of this is when I want to listen to a specific artist; I must scroll through every artist in my llibrary, one at a time as they are alphabetically stored, in order to find that artist. If I then wish to listen to a different artist I have to scroll through the entire library again to find that artist. If that artist's name happens to be towards the latter half of the alphabet you better grab a beer while your scrolling.
I have two questions:
1. Would I be better off ditching the Xantech and research/purchase a USB DAC? I like the minimalistic approach of simply having the IPod docked and not having the laptop in the living room but the time spent clicking through all the names, titles and genres of my library has me frustrated. When I asked the local shop this question they had no clue what a USB DAC could offer. I've done some reading and this approach intrigues me but I am not a technophile and have not found the right info yet.
2. Would incorporating a USB DAC inprove the listening quality vs the Xantech XIS100?
Any info you can provide will be appreciated. I am a member of several astronomy forums and have learned to appreciate the vast amount of knowledge that people are willing to share via this type of format.
Peter

manlystanley
08-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Peter, Welcome to AR! I'm in a heavy learn mode myself, but let me offer a possibly for a DAC. Other more knowledgeable people will either support my suggestion or give a better suggestion.

Check on Emotiva's DAC: http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=preampdac&action=display&thread=12973

I think I read that pricing was going to be $299.

Best Regards,
Stan

JoeE SP9
08-24-2010, 03:02 PM
The Grant Fidelity tube DAC. It has plenty of inputs (3 digital, two analog) one is a USB input. It is a headphone amp and can operate as a minimilist preamp plus it has a switchable tube buffer stage. $225

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_Fidelity_Tube_DAC-09

Mr Peabody
08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
I wanted to welcome you to AR. I'm still old fashion using discs. Have you taken a look at the Wadia I-pod dock? I'm not up on all the mp3 interfaces but this Wadia piece is a hot item.

http://www.musicdirect.com/search/advanced_search.php

PeterRB
08-25-2010, 06:52 AM
All,
Thanks for the warm welcome and recommendations however at this time I am not looking for specific USB-DACs. Please see the OP and note the two questions I have about the Xantech XIS100 Integreated Dock for IPod vs. any USB DAC.

By the way I failed to note that the Dock is connected to the Denon AV Receiver, it is not stand alone.

Peter

Mr Peabody
08-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Peter did you look at the Wadia? I don't think it's a stand alone DAC but more of some type of interface. I need to take another look at what it does myself but I'm certain it's not a DAC based on the price of what a Wadia DAC might cost.

PeterRB
08-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Mr. Peabody,

After reading your comment I investigated the Wadia 170i on the Net and then called the local dealer to question him. It appears that the Wadia removes the problem of locating and selecting specific songs by allowing you to continue to use the IPod's controls. The Xantech disables the IPod's controls forcing you to use their menu which does not have the ability to accelerate through the alphabet to get to where you want to be.

The Wadia 170i is a docking station for the IPod and is priced around $379. Not cheap but then the Xantech is not cheap either but is inconvenient.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Peter

Mr Peabody
08-28-2010, 09:32 AM
You are welcome, I wish I had more info on it up front for you but it's an area I'm not so familiar with. I believe one of the advantages of the Wadia as well it bypasses the Ipod's D to A converter and allows an outboard DAC to do the job for better performance.