Which Brand for Home Theater [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Brand for Home Theater

nai0248
08-24-2010, 07:25 AM
I Currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-35tx that just broke (I think). I plugged in B-speakers for a couple days and on the third day of play, the receiver died after about a minute. The standby light is on but that is it. Unplugged everything and attempted to turn it on again, to the smell of burnt plastic.

So I think I'm in the market again and looking for a decent THX certified receiver. Looking at Pioneer (again), Onkyo, and Denon. I am not an audiophile but I don't want the receiver to blow again if I am using both A+B speakers. also would be nice to have an good automatic configuration. I think $1,000 is the absolute limit.

Thanks for any advice.

pixelthis
08-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Buying Pioneer again falls under the "fool me twice, shame on me" category, sad to see what
has become of this brand.
I have had the best luck with INTEGRA, on my second, they are a slightly upgraded
Onkyo. BOTH VERSIONS ARE KNOWN FOR THEIR AMPS.
But I would double check the PIONEER, might be a shorted speaker wire, and it might
be fixable, but I DOUBT IT.:1:

blackraven
08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Onkyo TX-SR807

Mr Peabody
08-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Onkyo has one of the stronger amp sections in the mass market receiver arena, producing more current and therefore more capable of handling difficult speaker loads. The price for that current Onkyo tends to run warmer and needs plenty of ventilation. Denon is a good product and to my knowledge reliable. Yamaha is another good option that I feel tends to have the better edge in sound quality. Within your budget you should also give a listen to NAD.

eisforelectronic
08-24-2010, 08:34 PM
I much prefer the sound of Denon over Onkyo. Some Denons now have fully assignable amps as well.

nai0248
08-25-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I've seen other reviews about the Onkyo running quite warm. That's too bad. Also since I've seen some bad reviews on Pioneer as well, it appears that Denon should be the wise choice.

I've been watching Denon for some time now and have been impressed, as long as it's THX certified and can handle the load on the secondary outdoor speakers. Only downfall to the Denon is there is no authorized repair place near my house. I think it's sad that I have plan for these things when buying this equipment. Why can't these things last 15-20 years like the old ones.
Wii

markw
08-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Personally, i wouldn't get too hung up on THX unless you've got some specific reasons that you need it. It dosn't guarantee better sound.

pixelthis
08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I've seen other reviews about the Onkyo running quite warm. That's too bad. Also since I've seen some bad reviews on Pioneer as well, it appears that Denon should be the wise choice.

I've been watching Denon for some time now and have been impressed, as long as it's THX certified and can handle the load on the secondary outdoor speakers. Only downfall to the Denon is there is no authorized repair place near my house. I think it's sad that I have plan for these things when buying this equipment. Why can't these things last 15-20 years like the old ones.
Wii

They do.
But with things changing so fast these days, you quite often have to trade early.
My Integra cost 1200 bucks, and was like new when I GOT MY NEW INTEGRA ,
only four years after getting the first one.
AND THE WARMTH thing is no biggie, my integra run quite hot, and never had a problem,
they design for it. Also where the repair center is is irrelevant, it usually doesnt have a long turn around to get something fixed and sent back, usually a week or so.
They know you need your gear.:1:

Just2fast
08-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I Currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-35tx that just broke (I think). I plugged in B-speakers for a couple days and on the third day of play, the receiver died after about a minute. The standby light is on but that is it. Unplugged everything and attempted to turn it on again, to the smell of burnt plastic.

So I think I'm in the market again and looking for a decent THX certified receiver. Looking at Pioneer (again), Onkyo, and Denon. I am not an audiophile but I don't want the receiver to blow again if I am using both A+B speakers. also would be nice to have an good automatic configuration. I think $1,000 is the absolute limit.

Thanks for any advice.
Hey there,
You might want to give some serious thought to a Nakamichi A/V-10 Receiver. These are built very well and the sound is hard to beat, weather in 2-channel or 5.1 dts. It will drive even some of the most demanding speakers easily. I have had mine for ten years now without any problems what so ever.
:2:

eisforelectronic
08-27-2010, 11:06 PM
I agree with not getting hung up on THX.