My name is Leslie Anne Levine... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My name is Leslie Anne Levine...

Swish
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
...my mother birthed me down a dry ravine.

It was a slow, stressful drive down to the Outer Banks a couple Saturdays ago, but I got to hear from great tunes while stuck in bumper-to-bumper. That song from Castaways and Cutouts, the debut by the Decemberists, is a great opening tract on the cd that remains as my favorite from them. Not a clunker on the record and I really wish they'd get back to that sound. Their latest, The Hazards of Love, is a huge disappointment. As some of you will recall, I got to see them during their 'Crane Wife' tour and it was an great show.

Other good stuff along my drive: Slow Summer Sampler (a comp by some nut-job on RR), Chutes Too Narrow, my favorite Shins record, Broken Bells (the more Mercer the merrier), Pinback's 'Summer in Abaddon', and Matthew Sweet's 'Girlfriend', an old favorite that doesn't get much love here, at least not that I can remember. I know there were more, but I'm having trouble remembering since it was, well, over a week ago, and I have tunes going pretty much all the time when I'm not on the phone or in my office.

3LockBox
08-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Slow Summer Sampler wasn't allears was it?

Yeah, as much as a proggy, artsy statements are usually up my alley, the rock-opera Hazards Of Love never grew on me. I liked the early stuff better anyway.

3LockBox
08-23-2010, 05:14 PM
the Slow Summer Sampler comp wasn't allears was it?

Yeah, as much as a proggy, artsy statements are usually up my alley, the rock-opera Hazards Of Love never grew on me. I liked the early stuff better anyway.

Jack in Wilmington
08-23-2010, 05:19 PM
We're heading down to OBX on the 10th of Sept. That makes for a long day stuck in traffic. Sorry bout that Swisher. Did you take I95? We head down on Friday and stay overnight in Norfolk. That way I get to hit one of my favorite steak joints "Grate Steak" At least you had some good tunes to occupy yourself. Good call on the M.S. "Girlfriend". Haven't pulled that one out in awhile. Hope the rest of your vacation was a hit.

Stone
08-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Other good stuff along my drive: Slow Summer Sampler (a comp by some nut-job on RR).

Wow, a blast from the past. I may have to break out that exceptional comp soon myself. :p

Swish
08-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Wow, a blast from the past. I may have to break out that exceptional comp soon myself. :p

I was hoping to get a few people guessing who created that one, hence the 'nut job' comment, although you are kinda sorta a nut job. Not up to my standards, but...

Swish
08-24-2010, 08:49 AM
We're heading down to OBX on the 10th of Sept. That makes for a long day stuck in traffic. Sorry bout that Swisher. Did you take I95? We head down on Friday and stay overnight in Norfolk. That way I get to hit one of my favorite steak joints "Grate Steak" At least you had some good tunes to occupy yourself. Good call on the M.S. "Girlfriend". Haven't pulled that one out in awhile. Hope the rest of your vacation was a hit.

...makes a big difference. I take Rt. 15 in MD, then follow 270 to 495 and then I95S of course. One guy left at 4:30 in the morning and had no problems except when he hit the island, and he said the delay was only 20 minutes. Two couples drove down Friday afternoon and hit a mess on 95. They were going to Richmond to see a AAA baseball game Friday night and then headed to OBX the next morning. It took a brother-in-law nearly 10 hours to get to friggin' Richmond, a drive you can usually make in about 5.

Jack in Wilmington
08-24-2010, 05:26 PM
...makes a big difference. I take Rt. 15 in MD, then follow 270 to 495 and then I95S of course. One guy left at 4:30 in the morning and had no problems except when he hit the island, and he said the delay was only 20 minutes. Two couples drove down Friday afternoon and hit a mess on 95. They were going to Richmond to see a AAA baseball game Friday night and then headed to OBX the next morning. It took a brother-in-law nearly 10 hours to get to friggin' Richmond, a drive you can usually make in about 5.

Richmond is usually a nightmare. Sometimes we take I295 around Richmond on the east. This is the first time we've gone down in Sept. Usually the wife is teaching school at that time, but she retired in June. Hope you'll decide to go back, it is a nice area.

Swish
08-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Richmond is usually a nightmare. Sometimes we take I295 around Richmond on the east. This is the first time we've gone down in Sept. Usually the wife is teaching school at that time, but she retired in June. Hope you'll decide to go back, it is a nice area.

...or is it 275? Then follow that back to 64E.

Jack in Wilmington
08-26-2010, 02:16 AM
...or is it 275? Then follow that back to 64E.

Sounds like the way we're going. We take 64 into Norfolk.

3LB
08-26-2010, 09:42 AM
riveting stuff guys

;)

Swish
08-26-2010, 01:45 PM
riveting stuff guys

;)

Just trying to keep it interesting here on Rave Rejects.