I Rode Rush's Time Machine [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I Rode Rush's Time Machine

Mr Peabody
08-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Undoubtedly the Rush show tonight was the best concert ever for me. The show was amazing. It started with this crazy short movie, it was funny good but hard to describe. The music was Spirit of the Radio in weird versions and after the movie Rush opened with that song. Actually, after the encore the show ended with another short movie which was really funny. The two guys from I Love You Man were in Rush's Green room. They are acting crazy and eat Neal's sandwich. The band walks in, they do the Slappie the bass routine. It was supposedly the one guy's birthday and they want to get his bass signed by the band. They eventually get ran out and think it's all for nothing and then Getty walks out and says, "you forgot this", handing the guy his bass. Turns out the band all signed it. Neil performed one of the most amazing drum solos I've heard or seen. Toward the end the solo goes into this big band thing that was great, Neil is awesome and I guess the horns was from Getty's synth. At one point Getty says something like, " this is the place where they had problems with the pigeons isn't it"? Referring to the Kings Of Leon ordeal. He then says, "no matter how many pigeons sh*t on Alex we aren't stopping the show". No opening band. I'm not sure how long exactly the show was but it must have been close to three hours all together. There was an intermission. Getty says they are aging rapidly and need a break. The first half after Spirit of The Radio was mostly later Rush stuff. They played a couple songs from their unreleased album, keep your ears out for Caravan, which I liked a lot. After Intermission they opened up the 2nd half with a short movie and then played the entire Moving Pictures album. Man, these guys are masters. They reached back and played Closer To The Heart, Overture from 2112, after all they done Rush came back for an encore playing an instrumental I recognize but for the life of me can't remember the title, they Reggae'd the first part of Working Man and then rocked us home. All the guys were great and of course accompanied by a spectacular light and video show. Another cool thing is my daughter came with me who is in her 20's, she couldn't name but one or so Rush songs, she says she recognized several though, she was as blown away as I was.

OK, I'm getting old, why do people pay for a seat then choose to stand the entire show :) My knees can't take that much standing in one place. I also need anger control because I wanted to slap the tall guy in front of me who seemed to keep moving in front of me every time I move to one side. It's like I move so I can see and shortly after his big head moves in front of me.

Any way I have no regrets what so ever shelling out the funds for Rush's, Time Machine.

3LockBox
08-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a killer show. I didn't realize the 'pigeon ****' incident was getting such run. Entire Moving Pics album, eh? My fave album, but I have a hard time seeing a modern crowd sitting still for some of those songs. What was the age range of the crowd? Was it a sold-out venue?

3LockBox
08-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a killer show. I didn't realize the 'pigeon ****' incident was getting such run. Entire Moving Pics album, eh? My fave album, but I have a hard time seeing a crowd sitting still for some of those songs. What was the age range of the crowd? Was it a sold-out venue? I hate standing as well, but its either stand or stare at people's asses in front of you.

Mr Peabody
08-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Exactly, it's stand with them or forget any visual. I'm pretty sure the show was sold out. Age range was surprisingly varied. Rush has done a good job of picking up newer generations.

kexodusc
08-23-2010, 03:10 AM
I got excited just reading your report, Mr.P. Thanks for sharing.

TheHills44060
08-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Only Rush show I ever went to was for the Hold Your Fire Tour. I embarrassed to say that I didn't fully understand Rush's greatness till the late 80's. I was too much of a metal head before then but I eventually started buying their albums.

3LockBox
08-23-2010, 07:49 AM
I think Rush is one of those rare bands that were known for their technical prowess and had serious airplay for short spell. Metalheads liked their virtuosity, non-metalheads liked their musicality. Proggers jumped onto the Rush bandwagon in the '70s, new-wave hipsters jumped on after Tom Sawyer. Musicians are hard pressed not to at least appreciate what Rush represents. Rush have never played up their rockstar status; they lead ordinary lives and never take their audiences for granted. All they do is pack the house where ever they go.

Hyfi
08-23-2010, 08:12 AM
This is a band I could never get into. I just recently listened to 2112 for the first time all the way through, probably the last. I get the talent and greatness of music but when Geddy Leee starts singing that's where it ends for me. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

GMichael
08-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Sounds like you had a great time at the show! Yes, they are a talented group for sure. I’ve seen them several times and have never walked away disappointed. Always a great show.

Hyfi,

I can understand. As much talent they have, his voice does take some getting used to. They are not for everyone.

ForeverAutumn
08-23-2010, 10:00 AM
I knew you would love it! I knew it!

We always stand through a Rush show. That's just the way it is. But I'm with you, my back can't stand for long periods of time anymore so I have to take several seated breaks during shows now and I rarely go to club shows without seats anymore. Its just not worth the three days of pain that follows.

The instrumental in the encore was La Villa Strangiato. If you watch the Rush in Rio DVD the entire audience is singing along to the this song, which is hilarious because...its an instrumental! Alex is also known for going into silly little rants during this song. I think that he only did it through one tour, but some of them are very funny. There's a bunch posted on YouTube. Here's one about Paris Hilton that I love. You can see Geddy laughing in the background. :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcRCFHVxNDs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcRCFHVxNDs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If you go onto YouTube and do a search for La Villa Strangiato Rant, you'll find lots of these. What I love is that they're not rehearsed, off the top of Alex's head, yet the band knows exactly when to come back in every single time. Their timing is impecable.

ForeverAutumn
08-23-2010, 10:07 AM
As much talent they have, his voice does take some getting used to. They are not for everyone.

Yes they are. Hyfi is an idiot.

;) ...you know I kid.

Hyfi
08-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Yes they are. Hyfi is an idiot.

I could say the same of you for not liking Allman Bros, Marshal Tucker, and the Outlaws whose vocals are stellar and don't make your skin crawl.

GMichael
08-23-2010, 10:17 AM
I could say the same of you for not liking Allman Bros, Marshal Tucker, and the Outlaws whose vocals are stellar and don't make your skin crawl.

But are as musically talented as a group of… Oops… I didn’t mean to say that out loud.:blush2:

Hyfi
08-23-2010, 10:30 AM
But are as musically talented as a group of… Oops… I didn’t mean to say that out loud.:blush2:

Are you trying to say that Hughie Thomson, Henry Paul, and Billy Jones couldn't play?

And then you're gonna try saying that Duane Allman, Dickie Betts, and Warren Haynes can't play?

PS, the dig was from an old comp I made that FA didn't like.

So she was on vacation and now back for all of 5 minutes and starting trouble again already. Man it was a nice week!

GMichael
08-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Are you trying to say that Hughie Thomson, Henry Paul, and Billy Jones couldn't play?

And then you're gonna try saying that Duane Allman, Dickie Betts, and Warren Haynes can't play?

PS, the dig was from an old comp I made that FA didn't like.

So she was on vacation and now back for all of 5 minutes and starting trouble again already. Man it was a nice week!

That was easy.:ihih:

ForeverAutumn
08-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Yes, you could. :D

Mr Peabody
08-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Yip, FA was right on with Rush..

MasterCylinder
08-23-2010, 02:20 PM

I can listen to those bands too, but I gotta go get me a pouch of RED MAN first.

3LockBox
08-23-2010, 05:16 PM
how bout some Blackfoot everybody?

;)

Mr Peabody
08-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah, 3LB, I canroll that way too. Of course, Ricky is playing with Skynyrd now.